Dog on strike? Or just plain controlling?

(1 Post)
nostress Wed 16-Oct-13 09:56:04

I have two dogs one is 5 the other 2. They are both very fit and ideal weight etc. I walk them at a local park which is a short car journey away. There are two routes in the park one around a pond (500m) and another larger route around the parkland (1km). I walk them round a variety of ways but this usually adds up to a minimum of 5km but can be 8km. Taking up to 1hr 15min.

Recently builders started to put up barriers in one part of the long route as they are going to knock down flats (stripping them out at the minute no loud noises or anything) these cover the path. Consequently the grass has got muddy and as its on a hill very slippy. I now have to avoid this route. Instead I've been going round flats on the other side of the park in addition to round the pond. My 5yr old has decided she doesnt want to do this and flips over onto her back and basically refuses to walk. There is nothing scary around the flats and we do that walk occasionally anyway for more variety and usually she doesnt mind. Ive tried carrying her a bit but that makes my arm ache and consequently she ends up being put back in the car so I can continue to walk my 2yr old. The last two days that has meant she has only had a 20min walk.

She has "form" with this behaviour:
1) if its a hot day and she doesnt want to walk (its only 9 degrees so not hot today).
2) if shes had a really long walk 2hrs and is genuinely tierd.
3) she spends most of her day in the garden and if she doesnt want to come in when i call she flips over (we have a large garden & and she basically plays with her ball all day).

I can understand if she was tired/hot but i think she is controlling me to get her own way!

What should i do?

She is not food orientated so i cant bribe her with food.

Oh yes shes a border terrier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now