Pup has bright red ear flaps

(7 Posts)
SnakeyMcBadass Sun 13-Oct-13 22:31:38

Technical term, I know, but he really has very red ear flaps. He's fine in himself, playful, eating well etc. He's scratching sometimes, but not more than usual I don't think. His ears don't smell bad (just dog ear-y). He is on noroclav for a bout of colitis (finishes the course on Tuesday). Could this be a reaction to the antibiotic? I only noticed it this evening. The rest of his skin seems a normal colour.

Mogz Mon 14-Oct-13 00:23:31

Are his inner ears dirty at all? Could be ear mites if he's stuck his head in something particularly interesting recently.
Are they hot to touch? That might indicate an infection or reaction to his medication.
If you're seeing the vet for a check up one he's finished his course of medicine I'd mention it then, or give them a buzz and ask for a word over the phone if you're not going in any time soon.

SnakeyMcBadass Mon 14-Oct-13 07:56:11

They are quite hot. He's started head shaking and scratching now. I'll ring the vet as soon as they open. Bugger <sigh> He was supposed to be neutered last week when he had the attack of colitis, and now this. It's like he knows.

Mogz Mon 14-Oct-13 13:44:05

Aww poor little thing. Hope they fix him up quickly so he can then get fixed!

SnakeyMcBadass Mon 14-Oct-13 21:45:04

£60 later, we have ear drops and ear cleanser. He has very hairy ears, and that seems to be a factor. I don't want to pluck them until the drops start working, though, because he's very sore.

Mogz Tue 15-Oct-13 01:26:58

Plucking his ears?! shock Rather you than me!

SnakeyMcBadass Tue 15-Oct-13 07:58:04

Yeah....can't say I'm looking forward to it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now