anyone know if the rspca perform neutering and/or help pay.website not open til monday eve

(23 Posts)
waikikamookau Sat 12-Oct-13 09:10:15

I have my 11 month booked in for neutering on Tuesday, at the local vets, however last night I heard that the rspca help.
does anyone know in what way the help because I cant ring til Monday eve which is too late for vets

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 12-Oct-13 09:35:32

There is not a national policy. So it is the local branch you need to contact. There is huge variation in how they arrange it. In my area it is only offered in really desperate cases for example multiple litters with no control going on.

AlexaChelsea Sat 12-Oct-13 09:39:09

If you are on benefits you can go to the pdsa for free veterinary care. Like the NHS for animals.

waikikamookau Sat 12-Oct-13 09:39:40

oh thank you, the advice on the website was rather limited unfortunately

waikikamookau Sat 12-Oct-13 09:40:13

I think I tried the pdsa and we are not in the right area, but will try again

Owllady Sat 12-Oct-13 14:38:41

i think the blue cross will as well and there are local charities sometimes that have lower cost vet services

34DD Sat 12-Oct-13 15:56:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tillypo Sat 12-Oct-13 20:03:25

Our local dog wardens give out vouchers for free spaying or neutering depending on what type of dog you have then you just take it to your vets. I live in South Yorkshire so I know if they do it everywhere.

waikikamookau Sun 13-Oct-13 08:40:38

thanks, I might try dog warden

waikikamookau Sun 13-Oct-13 10:55:17

if anyone is interested, blue cross very helpful and said they issue vouchers, and they said Dogs Trust and RSPCA also issue vouchers, if you are on certain means tested benefits and you can use vouchers from more than one place.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 13-Oct-13 11:02:55

Alexa - the PDSA is NOTHING like the NHS for animals hmm It is a charity that provides a service for those in genuine need. The NHS is not free, its paid for by NI payments and the tax payer! I really think you should only use this if you genuinely cannot afford treatments such as these and then your animals need to be insured in case they need major treatments later in life that the PDSA are unable to provide.

Animals are a luxury and not an entitlement - i do appreciate that some people fall on hard times (as we have actually!) I have two dogs but would struggle to afford treatments, luckily my old boss (vets) do all our vet treatment at cost or we wouldn't be able to have our dogs.

Methe Sun 13-Oct-13 11:17:23

I agree. The pdsa should be used for emergency treatment for animals who's owners otherwise couldn't afford to have it done - accidents and illnesses.

Not routine every day treatment. If you can't afford the routine stuff then you can't afford pets.

waikikamookau Sun 13-Oct-13 11:24:49

don't think neutering is routine, it certainly isn't a routine price, anyway, I cant use PDSA sadly

Methe Sun 13-Oct-13 11:27:25

Of course it's routine. You know when you aquire an animal that if you're going to be a responsible pet owner you're going to have to have it neutured.

waikikamookau Sun 13-Oct-13 11:31:02

well thanks for your compassion.
don't worry, I wont be using PDSA,

waikikamookau Sun 13-Oct-13 11:33:43

and tbh I am not very happy about losing my job - and didn't know it was going to happen.

Methe Sun 13-Oct-13 11:39:44

Sorry about your job, I hope you find something else soon. Fwiw though, I wasn't really responding to your predicament, more AlexaChelseas suggestion that the pdsa was like an NHS for pets. It really isn't supposed to be for routine treatment.

waikikamookau Sun 13-Oct-13 11:41:49

oops, ok, fair enough methe.
thanks

LEMisdisappointed Sun 13-Oct-13 11:50:21

I'm sorry, My post was not directed at you OP - it was directed at Alexas trite comment. Yours situation is just the sort of thing that the PDSA is set up for, so do use them if you can, or similar in your area. Does the op absolutely have to happen tomorrow? Could you postpone and give yourself a bit of time to see what is available, maybe your vets can advise you? You will need to be on some sort of means tested benefits to qualify i think. It might be that you can take your dog along to a neutering clinic. Is it something that you can put off until your financial situation improves? It is better to have dogs neutered at a young age, but it could wait 6 months, unless of course there is a specific reason you are having to have it done now.

Neutering is routine, in terms of surgery but you are right, its bloody expensive. Thankfully there are schemes that can help - maybe your vet has a payment scheme? Might be worth considering, you pay over the year and it covers things like vaccinations, flea treatments etc, maybe they can incorporate the neutering into the scheme if you can't get reduced fees or a voucher?

I'm sorry about your job, that is rubbish sad I hope you find something soon.

waikikamookau Sun 13-Oct-13 11:52:53

thanks, will speak to vets tomorrow,
I do work, but did at one point have 3 jobs, then lost one, then the another, tis pants.

waikikamookau Sun 13-Oct-13 11:53:07

and cut backs. re the jobs.

digerd Sun 13-Oct-13 20:32:52

I had my little girl spayed - a major op- and it cost £146 including collar, painrelief medication and special prescription food. Also 2 check-ups in 2 weeks.

waikikamookau Mon 14-Oct-13 09:01:32

well it is 200 here, including microchipping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now