Acorn eating dog poorly

(49 Posts)
Mynewmoniker Fri 04-Oct-13 19:33:55

One of my dogs ate quite a few acorns yesterday and is ill today sad. He was only given a raw egg this morning after having the squits on his morning walk. Then this evening he's vomited water and wouldn't eat the boiled rice we cooked for him. I didn't have any chicken so I put a little foil wrapped salmon in jelly cat food with it and he wouldn't eat this either'

Any vets/animal nurses with tips?

RandomMess Fri 04-Oct-13 19:36:14

You need to ring the vets!

ClaimedByMe Fri 04-Oct-13 19:37:01

I am sure I have seen a thing on shared on facebook about acorns beings harmful to dogs, have you googled?

Tillypo Fri 04-Oct-13 19:50:47

Acorns can cause obstructions in the intestines. So a trip to the vets might be best.

Lilcamper Fri 04-Oct-13 19:51:09

Call the vet!

SnakeyMcBadass Fri 04-Oct-13 20:27:02

Agree with the vet suggestion. Hope he's not too poorly.

Mynewmoniker Fri 04-Oct-13 21:59:00

Took him to the vets at 9pm. He was vomiting brown stuff and blood. Then drinking loads of water. The vet said he didn't have a temperature and his skin dropped back quickly so he wasn't dehydrated at this point. He gave him an anti-vomit injection then a injection to help line his stomach.

I have to take him back tomorrow unless he gets worse tonight. sad

PLEASE ...watch out for your dog eating acorns. There are a lot about at the moment.

Floralnomad Fri 04-Oct-13 22:33:46

I'm surprised they didn't keep him in if he's vomiting blood and what sounds like old blood ( brown stuff) . I hope he has a good night and feels better tomorrow .

Mynewmoniker Fri 04-Oct-13 23:53:36

Had to rush him back in about 11pm as he was vomiting and drinking loads and then urinating fresh blood! It was awful. He staying the night on a drip which he stood like a good-un to have put in.

Had a good cry but now crossing fingers to see how he is tomorrow morning between 9 and 10am.

I didn't know if the brown stuff was acorn coming up Floralnomad. I definitely knew it was fresh blood as there must have been a mugful's worth and it stank like fresh blood.

Sparklyboots Fri 04-Oct-13 23:55:33

Oh bad luck x Hope he's a bit more comfortable now. And mending xx

Mynewmoniker Fri 04-Oct-13 23:57:17

Thanks all for your good wishes.

He was still wagging his tail all this time.

pigsDOfly Sat 05-Oct-13 00:04:49

Wish him well. Hope all is well tomorrow.

Floralnomad Sat 05-Oct-13 00:13:18

Sounds like he is in the best place for tonight x

Tillypo Sat 05-Oct-13 00:16:57

Hope he is feeling better xxx

Mynewmoniker Sat 05-Oct-13 00:33:43

Had to have a large glass of wine so that I will sleep. I will be sleeping with my fingers crossed. Nite nite, X

Floralnomad Sat 05-Oct-13 13:29:35

Any news today ?

Mynewmoniker Sat 05-Oct-13 20:47:28

Vet phoned this morning. He isn't in a collapsed state but in mess with kennel full of runny poo and lots of blood this morning. Kept on drip all day and did a clear wee. No more vomiting. Blood tests indicate no liver or kidney damage but still runny poo with lots of blood.

Hope this is the toxins leaving!

In on a drip for another night.

Poor love.

Thanks for asking.

Will try and update tomorrow.

Sparklyboots Sat 05-Oct-13 20:53:06

Good news so far, lovely. Hope he's okay tomorrow x

coffeeinbed Sat 05-Oct-13 20:55:14

Hope he's better tomorrow.
poor pup.

Hope everything works out for him.

PseudoBadger Sat 05-Oct-13 21:03:33

I hope he's ok. Not sure where you live but could it be Seasonal Canine Illness?

todaysdate Sat 05-Oct-13 21:07:40

Lungworm?
Is he bleeding from multiple places?

Tillypo Sat 05-Oct-13 21:12:36

Hope he is starting to feel better.

Mynewmoniker Sun 06-Oct-13 11:06:39

He was vomiting blood and pooing blood in vast runny amounts. Mostly fresh! It wasn't clotting. The kitchen was like an abattoir! Hence the toxic theory? todaysdate

He had been chomping on acorns.

Had my morning update and he's got through the night with no blood seen and is beginning to get an appetite. Just waiting to see if poo is firmer today. Still on drip and anti-vomiting and vet seems hopeful that if he's OK tonight he can come home tomorrow.

Sorry to be so graphic but I think it's important in case it happens to your dog.

Mynewmoniker Sun 06-Oct-13 11:13:08

Pseudobadger he didn't have a temperature and had fresh blood instead of poo sometimes. Blood wasn't mentioned in reports of Seasonal Canine Illness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now