Guess the breed of our puppy....

(32 Posts)

So Luna is now 15 weeks old, typical puppy, responds well to training, pretty much housetrained even at night. She chews everything in sight of course and eats well. She is the centre of our family, a real character, daft as a brush and funny but pretty cute and cuddly too.

We had her DNA tested a couple of weeks ago and the results are just through. They tell you most importantly whether she has a genetic predisposition to any medical conditions (she doesn't thankfully), and how big she should grow (around 50 - 60 lbs).

It also tells you the breeds that make her up. She is a real jumble of breeds as we thought she would be but she is 25% one breed and 25% another breed (ie 2 of her grandparents were pure bred). Her photos are on my profile - can you guess the two breeds?

ClaimedByMe Thu 03-Oct-13 16:16:28

The DNA kits are great, we used one last year for our staffie cross, she came back half stb, quarter American staff and quarter mixed breed.

PinkFairyArmadillo Thu 03-Oct-13 19:05:54

The DNA breed testing kits are notoriously inaccurate, modern dog breeds just aren't genetically distinct enough to accurately pinpoint individual breeds. It's understandable when you consider how recently most breeds have been mixed with others. Tests on the same dog from different companies can come back with wildly differing results. It also makes me suspicious that most companies say their tests won't work on pedigrees.

The breed databases they use (which I don't believe even cover all KC recognised breeds so it's immediately limiting) are also from the US so breeds that are exceedingly rare or even non-existent here (such as the rat terrier or Catahoula leopard dog) come up as parent breeds for mongrels in the UK.

If the tests were cheaper I'd love to try them on our mongrels and pedigrees alike but they're very expensive for what they currently are.

HoneyDragon Thu 03-Oct-13 21:34:35

Igbo did one of those tests on Hully the parental results would come back arsehole and hurricane.

HoneyDragon Thu 03-Oct-13 21:35:03

If I did ...

LadyTurmoil Thu 03-Oct-13 21:57:28

LOL Honey Dragon, you love your dog, don't you?! smile

HoneyDragon Thu 03-Oct-13 22:18:39

I adore her. But they told me she was nuts when I got her and boy they got her right grin

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Sat 05-Oct-13 19:57:38

Our Milo's results would say part monkey, part kangaroo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now