Developing an allergy to the dog

(9 Posts)
misdee Mon 30-Sep-13 21:18:08

I have a labradoodle. A beautiful boy, who is currently sporting a full poodle type coat, but also sheds like hell. Unfortunately I am now suffering itchy eyes, runny nose, and generally itching.

It's been awful lately, and I know it's because I have let his coat grow in fully.

Would it be really bad to keep a doodle coat permatntly short just so we can actually keep him without me suffering? He is my dog and I can't bear to part with him even if I suffer.

LadyTurmoil Mon 30-Sep-13 21:27:24

Don't see any problem with keeping dog clipped short... but I'm sure more experienced owners will come along and give you their views smile Just shows that all these over-priced non-shedding breeds are bullshit

Our doodle is happier short and very much easier to manage all round and less scared of going into brambles in case of the Velcro effect

mistlethrush Mon 30-Sep-13 21:28:57

No problem with keeping it short - except that he might need a coat in the cold, but that is much easier to sort than an allergy (my dog has no issue with her waterproof in the winter)

misdee Mon 30-Sep-13 21:31:42

Ah he is a poor excuse for a non-shedding breed ;)

Will invest in a coat for him, and look forward to him looking like a Labrador ;)

misdee Mon 30-Sep-13 21:33:40

He s three years old and done all his coat changes, I hope. So looks like I'm stuck with an allergy.

SnakeyMcBadass Tue 01-Oct-13 11:36:24

No problem to keep the coat short. I have a non-shedding cockapoo who's coat is pure poodle. I am aiming to keep his coat under 3" at all times because matting and picking up debris every five seconds is a right PITA for me and him.

misdee Thu 17-Oct-13 22:05:03

he was shaved last week.

I am feeling a bit better, my eyes don't itch as soon as I enter the house now. have stopped sneezing, and don't feel itchy.

groomer is now booked for every 4 weeks to keep his coat short.

where is the best place to get a dog winter coat from? small lab sized.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 18-Oct-13 07:37:25

I keep my cockapoo really short at shorn sheep at the shortest and about half an inch at the longest. I have a lot of clients who have labradoddles and cockapoos they all end keeping theirs the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now