Small Dogs

(9 Posts)
IcedTeaOneSugar Sat 28-Sep-13 15:59:48

Can anyone recommend a small breed that will be able to accompany a very energetic cocker spaniel on long walks.

I should think most of the terriers would fit the bill. Border terriers always strike me as pretty little dogs with bags of personality and energy smile

daftyburd Sat 28-Sep-13 18:01:32

I have a Boston Terrier. He never stops and is always on the go. Got him to keep up with our energetic Lab/Collie. He wears her out!
We nickname him Zebedee as he can spring up on the worktops in the kitchen. He loves agility and his trick is to jump into my arms.

We have a 1 year old Border Terrier and have stayed with a relative who has a 2 year old cocker used to 3 or 4 mile walks and my Border has always (more than!) kept up. He does three times the distance with his ducking and diving. We nicknamed them the prince and the pauper last time as one was very regal and one was not!

i have lhassa who runs herself ragged keeping up with my labrador. very energetic and very very confident and happy with other dogs.

in fact if you fancy an 18mo old lhassa let me know grin

ancientbuchanan Sat 28-Sep-13 19:17:34

Border terrier, jack Russell. I never liked the latter, regarding them as nippy, snappy and happy but we have got one that is overwhelmingly affectionate and full of energy. Would easily keep up.

IcedTeaOneSugar Sat 28-Sep-13 22:33:57

Thanks everyone, we'll probably look for a rescue (in the new year as we have a couple of holidays coming up before then) you've given me some really good ideas of what to look for.

Border Terriers seem popular smile

Unfortunately our local rescue is always full of Staffordshire bull terriers, boxers and crosses of both, so we'll probably have to look further afield.

If you do decide you would like to consider a Border then you could always get in touch with Border Terrier Welfare. They have reps in various areas smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now