Dog biting paws. Why? Just why?

(8 Posts)
IcedTeaOneSugar Sat 28-Sep-13 16:39:13

Our 14 month old cocker chews his nails, but not his pads, makes a really horrible noise.

tb Sat 28-Sep-13 16:37:31

Our Lakeland used to do this, and we found it was the salt in the sand on the beach irritating his paws. Just used to rinse his feet in water, and he stopped doing it.

mrslaughan Sat 28-Sep-13 09:13:43

We had trouble with our dog with this at times over summer......i started washing his feet after every walk and it really helped.

thewizenedone Fri 27-Sep-13 16:35:03

If you find the answer please tell me! Our boxer does the same. Tried low allergen food, transformed bsnk account but no difference to paws and the added extra that messed up her poos so added scooting to the daysactivities. Tried washing feet after walks, bitter apple spray- causes sulking but doesnt stop the problem. [SAD]

cathpip Fri 27-Sep-13 13:53:39

Where do you walk him, could he have stood in some nettles/thistles etc? My cockers occasionally nibble there paws if they have stood on something. Also check really carefully in the fur between the paws, spaniels are renowned for collecting grass seeds and if they track into the paw its an expensive vets bill.

It could also be an allergy if you've changed his food recently.

saintmerryweather Fri 27-Sep-13 07:29:29

my dog does this a lot. ive read that its like a stress reliever for them and she is an anxious dog generally. alternatively if its a recent thing he might have something stuck in there

MrsWolowitz Fri 27-Sep-13 07:25:46

My 9 month old cocker x is forever nibbling at his front paws and chewing the bottom of them.

Why is he doing this? Does he need to go to the vets? I'm not sure if it's the same paw every time or not but it's always the bottom of his paws.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now