My dog nipped my toddler now what?

(12 Posts)
bordellosboheme Wed 25-Sep-13 19:25:23

My parents who were my only hope cannot have him for more than 3 weeks. He has sheep issues but this is the first time he's nipped ds. I am very sad. My only options are rehoming him (but who would have s nippy dog). Or putting him to sleep. Don't know what the hell to do. Help!

EasyToEatTiger Wed 25-Sep-13 19:45:07

We have lots of nippy dogs. First and foremost, keep your toddler safe and out of the way of the dog. A baby cage is useful for this, for unsupervised times. Young children are a nightmare for dogs. Children move in unpredictable ways, can't read the dog's signals and don't understand when enough's enough. Also remember that should your dog feel so afraid, he can do far more damage than nipping. Nipping is a kind way of warning that he is uncomfortable in that situation. Your dog is trying his best to communicate. He will have done things before the nip to suggest discomfort.

Keep the dog and the child apart and watch what happens. Children need to be trained around dogs, not the other way round.

My dcs are learning. YOu may have a dog that doesn't especially like children. None of our dogs like children. Please get help if you are worried.

bordellosboheme Wed 25-Sep-13 20:10:59

Thank you easy that is very helpful. What's a baby cage? How do you keep them apart? Dogs out baby in?

EasyToEatTiger Wed 25-Sep-13 20:37:51

Sorry, I was un-pc. We used to have a playpen for the dcs to keep them separate unless there was supervised contact.
We found the multi-sided playpen most useful as you can put it where you like and stretch it out. We just called it the babycage.

MothershipG Wed 25-Sep-13 20:55:58

Is he a collie or collie cross? They use nipping as part of a herding technique rather than aggression, although obviously still unacceptable behaviour. If he is a collie I know Wiccaways are very helpful with managing behaviour and if that isn't possible they may be able to help with rehoming.

bordellosboheme Wed 25-Sep-13 22:07:15

He's a retriever collie cross we think. Mother was a golden retriever and father of unknown origin!! We also have his sister who is a lot more mellow (except around food) and is perhaps more of the retriever temperament.... Will certainly look at that link... If they growl when they do it though is it not more warning rather than herding??

MothershipG Thu 26-Sep-13 07:29:51

Could be bordello, but you certainly need to get some proper help and advice, start with Wiccaways and if they can't help they will certainly point you in the direction of the best place to get it.

bordellosboheme Thu 26-Sep-13 18:26:08

Have called and left a message with wiccaways

hoppingmad Thu 26-Sep-13 18:30:54

If the layout of your house permits then can you separate them. Our dog has a large area at the back of the house and our twins are mainly in the front room. If they are in the garden then the dog has some quiet time in the house. We don't want to take any chances as neither understand the other - dt's are not much over 1 so too young to understand and obviously the dog isn't going to want babies crawling all over her.

Once you get into a routine it's surprisingly easy to keep them apart

idirdog Thu 26-Sep-13 19:01:31

I am pretty sure that Wiccaweys are not in a position to help at the moment.

So you will need to get advice from other sources, as usual start with APDT and APBC who will give you qualified professional advice.

bordellosboheme Thu 26-Sep-13 21:48:49

Your house sounds nice and big hopping. We're in a small bungalow so since it happened the dogs have been living outside. Not sustainable....so stressful hmm

hoppingmad Fri 27-Sep-13 00:41:31

I wish! The twins just don't get much space smile. But we are out a lot which makes if easier.
Hope you find a solution where you can keep your dogs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now