Rawhide chews?

(13 Posts)
willowisp Wed 25-Sep-13 09:45:30

I have an antler (well, pooch does !) from Pets at Home & whilst exciting for a min or so, has been discarded. From what I've heard, not that great for dogs teeth.

mintchocchick you could just reduce the amount of kibble given. I feed a frozen chicken wing (free range !) after morning walk, a FISH$DOGS fish twist after afternoon walk & I'm trying out the raw frozen cubes from Pets at Home or else she has a sliver of wainrights in the plastic dish (meat & veg). My dogs hates kibble & I don't blame her because it stinks - Arden grange.

The vet has said she has very good teeth & is looking in excellent health. She is a trim cavalier.

WeAllHaveWings i throw the chicken wing in the garden, or else she takes it to her bed ! All eaten in 5mins & no mess to speak of....too good to waste any wink. I was worried at first, but another mn sent me a photo of her poodle chomping a raw chicken wing.

she has an egg at the weekend too...

SallyBear Wed 25-Sep-13 07:11:09

I gave Toby (13wk Labrador) a pigs ear last week. Oh wow. He loved it.
I use the raw hide cigars but not the bone shaped ones or the ones with the knots as I have had a dog that choked on a knot. Once the hide sticks get to a point that he can't steady it between his front paws, I bin it.

sweetkitty Tue 24-Sep-13 22:58:18

Was talking to put breeder today and she recommended rice bone sand antlers, I went and bought both. Rice bone was a huge hit, bits do come off but she was hoovering them up. You can get vegetable chews as well or give a raw carrot, loads of chewy fun.

Willow - can you give raw chicken wings if the main food is kibble? Also how does it work if you want to give them something to chew on in the evening inside? Does it get mucky all over the carpet?

The only way we can keep our puppy awake in the evening is with a rawhide chew - everything else is discarded and he sleeps then struggles to sleep at night.

Lilyloo Tue 24-Sep-13 17:38:27

Our dog loves stag bars but they do crumble quite a bit on the floor , last him a couple hours or more , and he destroys toys in minutes.

WeAllHaveWings Tue 24-Sep-13 17:36:06

willow like the idea of the frozen chicken wings and might try it in the summer (Scottish summer is well passed now!), but need something more hygienic and portable indoors that pup can go back to when he wants to.

willowisp Mon 23-Sep-13 22:27:43

Raw frozen chicken wings ? My dog loves them & has 1 day.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 23-Sep-13 22:24:38

Watching with interest.

I have a 6 month old lab who loves to chew, and up until last week I would have said try Stag Bars which are deer antlers, but pup had a very nasty cut from a sharp piece after he'd been chewing it leaving blood all over my carpet.

Very interested on what I can try next as he destroys most chew toys within hours (sometimes minutes!)

Fuzzysnout Mon 23-Sep-13 21:48:14

I never give them. I have seen a couple of times they get soft when chewed, mould to the mouth / throat & choak the dog sad

digerd Mon 23-Sep-13 17:00:17

Not for pups imo. Wait until 6 months when they have their adult teeth. When they get soggy they are difficult to chew and they swallow them and almost choke on them. Depends on how big your breed pup is. I've had only small breeds with short muzzles and mouths. Except for our Dachshund of course. <short legs, long body and muzzle and big teeth grin>

1MitchellMum Mon 23-Sep-13 11:47:38

I bought them for years, but stopped when I had to retrieve one from one of my dogs' throats (on more than one occasion). If you do continue with them then please don't leave your dog alone with them.

JaxTellerIsAllMine Mon 23-Sep-13 10:02:08

I use the flat hide dental chews for my dog, he loves them. I do make sure he is monitored and remove them when they get soggy.

basildonbond Mon 23-Sep-13 09:22:56

Fitz got given a rawhide chew the other day and loved it - I can see he'd very easily develop a serious chew habit

Are they really bad for puppies and how many, if any, should he have? Are there any healthy alternatives?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now