Dog and horses incident. Help needed.

(57 Posts)
littlewhitebag Tue 17-Sep-13 09:53:58

My lab is 16 months old. I will start by saying her recall is NOT perfect but we are working hard on it.

This morning i took her as usual to the beach for her walk. On the beach she will meet and greet dogs politely play for a bit if welcome or come away if i call.

Today she bounded through the dunes on to the beach and there were four horses/riders and two horse trainers walking up towards us. She has never seen horses before and was unsure. She ran up to them barking and running round them (a bit like a dog rounding sheep).

Calling her didn't work so i ran up to the the group and said i was sorry, that she was a young dog who had never seen a horse before and if they could just stop for a moment i would get her and put her on her lead. I could then have treated her while being beside the horses to get her used to them. However they chose to ignore me and kept walking. They then started shouting to my dog to get away in a really aggressive way and brandishing their riding crops at her. This seemed to make my dog more excited. I think she actually thought they were trying to play with her.

The two trainers who were on foot then started yelling at her very aggressively and would not listen when i said to stop shouting and i would be able to get her. Eventually i just turned and walked off and my dog followed a few seconds later.

I really do not ever want to repeat this incident. What can i do in future given that horses are not something we come in contact with very much? I am completely aware that i need to be able to control my dog at all time and i am very careful where i walk her. The beach early in the morning is usually my failsafe place to walk as the few dogs/owners we meet are happy for my dog to play and it is great for doing recall training with her.

Booboostoo Thu 19-Sep-13 13:40:26

I don't see how holding onto the long line or using it at a time when it is likely to get heavy and therefore obvious to the dog is using the technique correctly.

I can't comment on the jarring, perhaps this is an issue for your dog, but presumably an out of control dog puts itself in danger and you need to weigh the two risks against each other. Beware of the line around your finger because if your dog can jar his neck from being stopped he can certainly dislocate your finger by pulling on it suddenly!

If your dog has sussed the length of the line you need a longer long line!

In any case if a good technique does not work in exceptional circumstances (a dog with a delicate neck and a very muddy ground) it doesn't mean it's not a good technique nor that it does not work in the exact circumstances it was designed to help with.

froubylou Thu 19-Sep-13 13:49:27

I tried to stop and wait for a woman to catch her dog yesterday whilst walking my own dog.

Her dog ran across a school field to get to mine. As we were approaching the road when I noticed him I recalled my dog and put her lead on. Then stopped and waited for his owner to catch him.

Last time I do anything like that. My dog nearly got bitten and I ended up picking her up and nearly got bitten myself as the dog jumped up and snapped at her in my arms. At 27 weeks pg I'm not balanced enough to kick out at something moving whilst holding a petrified whippet in my arms.

Thought of this thread as the woman told me he usually comes back. This was on a field we also ride across.

Any horse or pony no matter how well trained isn't going to stand still and have a dog snap around its legs. They are flight animals so more likely to bolt than standand fight.

Lilcamper Thu 19-Sep-13 14:30:42

Long lines should always be attached to a harness so there is no risk of breaking your dog's neck if you need to step on the line in an emergency. Also knots tied into them at intervals stops it from running underneath your foot.

mrslaughan Sat 21-Sep-13 23:04:41

My dog is around horses 3-4 days a week, and is perfectly behaved, however I would not trust him on a bridal trail, so have him in leAd. But actually avoid walking him on bridal trails.
In my limited experience, they learn how to behave in one situation (like at the yard), but that does not necessarily mean they translate to a different situation.

I can understand about not using long lead. My dog is young, but a giant breed, I would have no control if him on a long lead.
His recall is not 100%, so there are only certain places he is allowed off lead and I am on high alert when he is.
I did use a long lead - one he could pull me around, and he seriously had the attitude - "I'm attached to you, why so I need to come back, you fool"

It was a very unfortunate incident, but it seems that you have a strategy to prevent it from happening again.

Chibbs Sat 21-Sep-13 23:17:33

you live and lean op!

my dog will chase horses if he sees them in a field - yet i have my own horse that he is so scared of he wont even look at her!

you know now, just just need to keep an eye out.

bellasuewow Sun 29-Sep-13 16:53:47

You could have caused a serious accident horses are flight animals funny that after you let your dog do that you started giving them orders about what to do best to train your dog properly I hope they told you where to go

littlewhitebag Sun 29-Sep-13 20:39:56

woah bellasuewow Who said anything about giving them orders? hmm. I was trying in a moment of panic to let them know that my dog had never seen a horse before. I am now more educated in how horses might react.
Also i didn't 'let' my dog do anything. We were upon the horses before i even knew they were there. If i had known they were there i would have kept her on a lead. I know now to check the beach first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now