experiences with german shepherds please

(154 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Tue 27-Aug-13 00:28:19

thinking of getting a german shepherd pup. This would be my first "big" dog , i work in the police and have already enlisted potential help in training from a bobby who is a dog handler and does dog training as a second job.

i have thought about getting one for a while - met quite a few through work, and love them. DD met one while staying with a relative last week and is smitten with them.
i would get a dog rather than a bitch and a long haired GSD. House is not huge but garden is of a good size and the park is just 2 mins walk away.

i do have an aging cavalier king charles. totally going for a change here....(and to soften the blow when my beloved girl goes....she is knocking on)
so. GSD owners.....what do i need to know before i get one.
i have the name and number of a reputable breeder and am prepared to go on a waiting list. not in a huge rush.

moosemama Tue 01-Oct-13 21:16:18

envy envy envy envy envy

He's gorgeous - you lucky thing! grin

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 01-Oct-13 21:20:31

it was a long drive but worth it. He is mine. I left a deposit.

his mummas hip score is 4/3
elbows 0

daddys hips are 6/3
elbow 0

also got his aunties hips scores
his grans
his great gran
and his great great gran. all good.
nice pedigree. no dodgy lines in there. odds stacked in my favour hopefully! her adult dogs were beautiful. i think she is keeping the l/coat female and i got the l/coat male. We all trekked up in the end, me, Dh and DD.....

BoreOfWhabylon Tue 01-Oct-13 21:23:26

I still think he looks like a Teddy wink

Can you tell what colour he will be at this age?

BoreOfWhabylon Tue 01-Oct-13 21:26:42

I mean what colour he will end up. He looks black/goldish at the moment.

Booboostoo Tue 01-Oct-13 21:50:08

Gorgeous! Lucky you!

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 01-Oct-13 22:58:46

no idea what colour he will be - he is black and gold - his mum is very gold and black, his dad is black and gold, so i guess it will be somewhere in between!
i was never bothered about colour - just wanted a good breeder with no dodgy lines in there and had heart set on a long coat.....which he is.

cant wait to pick him up! gah!!! so excited! spent a good couple of hours with him today but its a 4 hour round trip so wont see him again until i collect him....

BoreOfWhabylon Tue 01-Oct-13 23:01:23

So exciting for you! The time will soon pass.

Since he comes from Newcastle, how about 'Geordie' or 'Hadrian'?

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 25-Oct-13 00:35:07

well. time is nearly here to go and collect him! on saturday morning i leave work at 7am.....we will then drive up to newcastle and collect fluff pup.

he is a ball of gorgeous.

he is very spirited and bouncy according to dear breeder....she thinks he will need firm handling.

idirdog Fri 25-Oct-13 08:09:16

How exciting Vicar let us see pictures smile

(cringes at bit at breeders comments "he will need firm handling")

mignonnette Fri 25-Oct-13 08:12:27

Vicar

Just wanted to say that you sound like the best kind of dog owner and I wish more were like you.

I had German Sheps as a child in the family and adored them. They were gentle (no rough and tumble was allowed so as to train self control into both dog and child), protective in a positive way and beautiful to look at and exercise.

Very envy at you being able to have one.

DooneDave Fri 25-Oct-13 08:34:29

Enjoy your puppy snuggles, my GSD fur baby Mishka has just turned a year old (pic on profile) and it seems like yesterday that i picked her up. Best breed ever, so loving, loyal and lots of fun to train.

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 26-Oct-13 00:10:59

So excited for you, Vicar!

And DooneDave, your Mischka is gorgeous! What a beautiful face.

Oh, how I wish I could have a dog, but I work away too often. sad

DooneDave Sat 26-Oct-13 12:13:48

Thanks Bore she certainly has me smitten.

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 26-Oct-13 23:08:51

i am in LOVE.

i picked up my baby boy today.

he is 7 weeks old. he has asked to go out for every pee and poo since getting home. (bar 2 accidents!)
he is a fluff ball of cute proportions that are simply not definable! he is gorgeous.
a big fluff ball of gorgeous.
he is placid, compliant, and cuddlesome. he is stunning.

ive called him Barney. Barney Bear. ill post pics when i can.

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 27-Oct-13 07:52:13

<awaits pictures>

GhostOMash Sun 27-Oct-13 13:56:53

Congratulations! You will never want another breed smile

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 27-Oct-13 22:24:34

are you ready for pics?

barney bear

he is my floof ball.....i am absolutely in love.

BoreOfWhabylon Sun 27-Oct-13 22:29:31

I'm in love too! What a gorgeous little fluffkin!

MartyrStewart Sun 27-Oct-13 22:47:17

Ooh - he has a spark of mischief in his eyes - good luck!

AdoraBell Mon 28-Oct-13 02:48:53

I want one! oh wait, I have four already, damn!

That is one seriously cute puppy.

chrissiegsd Mon 28-Oct-13 15:40:11

Ahh, he is just gorgeeeeous!! All the best with him Vic!

ThatVikRinA22 Wed 30-Oct-13 23:32:45

thanks chrissie

he is so clever. he has house trained himself already, he isnt yet 8 weeks! he chooses and asks to go out for wees and poops. he is good as gold over night in his crate. no messing. no whining.

but he found his feet today and my god he is like a toddler! he is into Everything!

he has ripped the wallpaper.
he has destroyed his cuddly toys.
he has discovered that his water bowl can be played in.
he has found the stones in the garden and thinks they are just dandy to eat and play with....
he has chewed the dining chairs
he has chewed the rug
he has found the belt of my dressing gown and thought it a great game to play tug o war
he has discovered shoes. even with the wearer still in them!

im exhausted. he is lovely, absoltuely gorgeous but omg! he is very well behaved but even so im knackered! its more like having a baby again than i remembered!

AdoraBell Wed 30-Oct-13 23:56:25

Yep, a baby with teeth thlgrin. You didn't the dining chairs anyway, did you?

ThatVikRinA22 Thu 31-Oct-13 00:11:50

i didnt need the dining chairs....

now the wallpaper.....!! i did need! the little sod has ripped a huge piece on my feature wall!
well. i guess i could argue its a feature......

he is just scrummy but its a good job!! else he would be out on his arse by now! lol.....
such a naughty little pup!

chrissiegsd Thu 31-Oct-13 12:00:53

Sooooo funny Vic!

Now THAT sounds much more like a proper GSD! Hold on to those now cosy thoughts/memories about how "placid & compliant" he is - it'll help when you're having your first nervous breakdown!!

He sounds just like my male with his housetraining, my female on the other hand was an absolute nightmare - so this is GOOD. You must hold onto the GOOD things when it gets worse - much worse as it will definitely help!

Oh & you think his little itty bitty teeth are doing a lot of damage now?! I've got news for you, wait until his adult teeth start coming in............

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now