Your favourite dog breed and why...

(71 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Mon 26-Aug-13 16:53:33

Italian Spinone.

They're so gentle and loving.

I've never had had one and now isn't the right time for me to be taking on such a large dog as I have young children but one day I'll be owned by a Spinone.

What's yours?

PinkFairyArmadillo Wed 04-Sep-13 15:40:30

Whippets grin

Got our first two years ago, a second nine months ago and number three will hopefully be joining us sometime next year blush

They're perfection in dog form as far as I'm concerned. Affectionate, gentle, beautiful, (mostly) lazy and utterly comical.

The only downside? They're addictive grin

plannedshock Wed 04-Sep-13 15:46:27

Boxer, I've got a pure white beast of a dog, he's my boy, stupid, giddy, loving, gentle and scared of ridiculous things! (Cling film, clothes horse) best dog ever!!!!

agedknees Wed 04-Sep-13 20:58:58

Scottish terriers. Fearless, loving, proud, mischievous. Cannot get a better dog, IMHO.

Mooycow Thu 05-Sep-13 09:27:07

Doberman,
a great house dog, very loving, willing to please, bit velcro at times and protects the garden from birds, aeroplanes, butterflies the list is endless,

Elibean Thu 05-Sep-13 10:32:16

I've had two lab/staffie cross type mongrels, and they've both been gorgeous.

But to be honest, whatever breed I had would be my favourite...

Another Dogue De Bordeaux fan here!

We have six dogs, two of them are DDBs and they're just brilliant. Not overly keen on the drool or the amount of cleaning needed to cope with the drool but, drool aside, they're great big cuddly lumps of gorgeousness!

I love our two SBTs and the Cavalier and the Papillon but as a breed the DDB is amazing. All the wrinkles and the flappy cheeks, the "clop" noise they make when their mouths close on a biscuit, their huge feet and their honey coloured eyes (Or eye, singular, in our female's case). They're powerful yet incredibly gentle. Gorgeous gorgeous dogs!

seagullsid Thu 05-Sep-13 16:16:36

Staffie here too smile

emmelinelucas Thu 05-Sep-13 16:29:32

I have like all the dogs I have ever met, but my dog was a staffiexbullmastiff.
She was the most gentle, funny loyal lumpy softie you could ever meet.
When I was a girl we hade much loved (and loveable) whippets and a Bedlington terrier.
I want a dog smile

Itscoldouthere Fri 06-Sep-13 12:52:47

Out walking today I met a wolfhound OMG it was huge, really huge but lovely, then I met a bedlington X greyhound, he was a rescue and the owner didn't know what he was, he was lovely too.

Dogs are just great aren't they smile

higgle Tue 10-Sep-13 15:17:57

Staffies, they love you sooo much!

thesixteenthtry Wed 11-Sep-13 20:54:49

No chihuahuas or great danes, labradoodles or cockapoos? And I couldn't be doing with a dog with 10 syllables in its breed name. Border collie for me.

Liara Wed 11-Sep-13 21:00:15

Hovawarts. So lovely and intelligent. And beautiful.

I have a soft spot for Leonbergers too, though. Maybe one day...

jennieflower Wed 11-Sep-13 23:16:33

Whippets are crap!

A few years ago we went for a walk at a local beauty spot with my little Chinese crested hairless, there was this insane mini greyhound thing bouncing around, full of energy, dashing in and out of the water and generally being a hyperactive pain in the arse. DP and I chatted to the owner then looked at eachother and immediately agreed that we could never have such a crazy dog...

We brought our whippet puppy home around 2 months later grin

They are horrendous dogs, notorious thieves, will push the children off the sofa for the comfiest spot. I could write a book about his naughtiness, in fact if my FB friends haven't seen a naughty whippet update for a few days they message me to ask if everything's ok.

I really do love our whippety little shithead though, he's got a fantastic little personality and fits into our family perfectly. They're the only dogs I've ever seen that can truly smile, watching him run at full pelt is awesome and cheers me up no end after a crappy day.

DramaAlpaca Wed 11-Sep-13 23:22:31

Springer spaniels - beautiful, bouncy, not too big or too small, loyal, gentle, loving & a little bit bonkers. Great with kids. I'm very biased - we have three!

Pinkbutterfly31 Sat 14-Sep-13 19:46:29

Another Rottweiler lover here. My rottie is just the loveliest, daftest, most affectionate and loyal dog I have ever owned. Great with kids, such character as well! She's always making us laugh especially when she's joining the kids on the slide or leaping in the air to catch bubbles. She's an excellent guard dog as well, but not aggressive in any way. Just loves everyone and everything!

MikeOxard Sun 15-Sep-13 20:45:56

Any big ones - more to love! I would love a St Bernard, Neopolitan mastiff or Newfoundland one day, or a great dane. Probably when the kids are bigger, although I suspect dh will veto this, as he's not a big dog person (not a dog person at all really). I also love any squishy faced breed(bulldogs of all types, and pugs). <3

serin Sun 15-Sep-13 21:23:13

Border collie, don't have one as wouldn't have the time to dedicate to it but one day!!

Weimaraner!

I had a long haired one first who we lost last year unexpectedly. He was a superstar in all ways but could be dog reactive. I miss him with every fibre of my being still.

We now have his half brother (same dad) but he is short haired and totally different to our first dog. Daft as a brush, cuddle monster (but on his terms, he's very busy & doesn't always have time for cuddles, first dog would drop everything for a cuddle), utter comedians and almost human in some of their mannerisms. Not a dog for the faint hearted though. Stubborn would also be a strong trait and they are very easy to turn into neurotic beings.

I normally am very much a BIG DOG person - anything smaller than a springer doesn't really seem to register on my radar blush BUT since taking the young upstart showing (I am a geek, I admit it....) I am more and more won over by Dachshunds (all types! I never knew there were so many!) and French Bulldogs.

iloveeverton Wed 18-Sep-13 21:33:31

Old English Sheepdog

Mine is 18months and he is gorgeous. Kind and gentle with the kids. He is so loyal he is like my shadow. Sleeps on floor next to my bed and even comes in bathroom with me!

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Thu 19-Sep-13 13:21:51

Yorkie-poodles. Our two are cheeky, loving, cuddly, intelligent, stubborn, very very friendly, going from bounding around manically to fast asleep in seconds and then back again. And complete comedians.

kerstina Fri 27-Sep-13 14:02:21

I like spaniels they look beautiful and have silky coats to stroke. I would love one but DP wants a miniature schnauzer .They have not been mentioned on here! I was not overly keen but a little dog on u tube has won we over smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now