Your favourite dog breed and why...

(71 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Mon 26-Aug-13 16:53:33

Italian Spinone.

They're so gentle and loving.

I've never had had one and now isn't the right time for me to be taking on such a large dog as I have young children but one day I'll be owned by a Spinone.

What's yours?

You know most of us are going to give you our own right? grin

I am anyway, and without shame smile

Border Terrier.

Brave, fearless little bundles of fun, always on the look out for the next adventure. Can go from fast asleep to up and at them as quickly as you can find a dog lead and will walk miles and miles looking like the happiest dog in the world. But they still like a sofa and a snuggly cuddle too.

OnaPromise Mon 26-Aug-13 17:25:17

I don't actually know what a Spinone is! I'm away to google.

Mine is greyhound, unsurprisingly as there are two in my house at the moment. They are gentle, affectionate, calm and quiet in the house (when they are not having five minute maddies that it), gentile, graceful silly and funny.

CollieEye Mon 26-Aug-13 17:29:10

Guess mine! Of the border variety smile

Boundless energy, often brighter than their human, like to lean in for cuddles, fun, play orientated instead of food, and so damned beautiful.

oh that Spinone looks gorgeous. Like a big shaggy thing.

My favourite is a long legged little terrier mutt grin Only weighs about 8kg but massive personality. My collie is alright too but not half as interesting.

topbannana Mon 26-Aug-13 17:48:14

Rottweiler. My old girl was PTS in January and not a day goes by when we don't mention her. She was brave, fearless, loyal and loving, truly my once in a lifetime dog and missed every single day.
I have seen others that are similar to her but nothing that actually comes close. While they are too much dog as a breed for us now I doubt I will ever own another as I would constantly compare them unfavourably. They are now a breed I will admire from afar.

mrslaughan Mon 26-Aug-13 19:37:07

Greater Swiss mountian dog, a gentle giant, loving amazing temperament.

I wouldn't discount a large dog with kids, our greater Swiss was 45kg at 6 months, and 54kg at a year (just to give you an idea if size) - he has only knocked my 3 1/2 year old over 3 times total- whereas she is regularly knocked over by other dogs on walks.

lecce Mon 26-Aug-13 20:10:58

I have only owned lurchers and a cross-breed as an adult, but I have always held a soft-spot for Welsh Springer Spaniels. We lived opposite one when I was a child- she was often out on the street and I got to play with her a lot. I was disappointed to learn, as an adult, that it was not an ideal dog for us.

LST Mon 26-Aug-13 20:34:32

Staffies. We had one growing up and I still feel like he was a brother to us sad blush

But we now have a border collie and tbh he is amazing

34DD Mon 26-Aug-13 21:02:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheGrumpalo Mon 26-Aug-13 21:19:40

Dogue de Bordeaux here too! We currently have two as our first died recently, they are so lovely, very easy dogs, a wee walk and they're happy to snooze the day away.

MyBoysAreFab Mon 26-Aug-13 21:22:59

Beagles! Cuddly wuddly, mental and stubborn, chew everything up and are food-obsessed. Love them - needless to say, we have one!

I actually love most types of dogs, not many I wouldn't happily have.

Thatsnotmychicken Mon 26-Aug-13 21:24:12

We have two red setters, they are beautiful and loving and gentle and loopy! What more would you want in a dog!!

Old English Sheepdog is my favourite

I love their cuddliness, shaggy hair and they are so gentle and fun with children. We collect our puppy in 2 weeks!

Debs75 Mon 26-Aug-13 21:33:59

Bassett Hounds ever since watching Smokey and the Bandits. Got my girl 6 years agogrin
They are lovely cuddly stubborn and look at you so wistfully. They are also a bundle of energy and nothing looks so good as a bassett running at you full pelt with her ears flapping. They also have comical moments like cornering and falling over their own ears.

My dream dogs are an Irish Wolfhound because they are just beautiful and so bloody big so I don't have to reach down to the floor to give one a stroke. I want a grey wire/rough coated haired one, although we did almost get a red one which was adorable.

My other dream dog is a Blood hound. Another big dog but more like a bassett with its good looks and droopy ears and face. I want to get one and train it to be a sniffer dog. I love the black and tan colouring

LEMisdisappointed Mon 26-Aug-13 21:37:12

Rotweiller here - loyal, loving, calm dogs who just fit in with family life so well and handsome, my boys were so beautiful they took my breath away.

Closely followed of coure by the heinz 57!

But then i'd quite like a spinone!

And a podengo, chihuahua, short haired pointer, then theres the patterdale, JRT, standard poodle, smooth coated retreiver, labrador, i could go on............i quite like dogs smile

HoneyDragon Mon 26-Aug-13 21:37:19

All dogs.

Whippets are my dream dog

However, instead I am Labradors favourite type of human.
I always end up with labs confused

PipkinsPal Mon 26-Aug-13 21:37:46

Smooth haired black and tan miniature dachshunds. Just because they are quirky. A dog the whole family can pat at the same time.

frownyface Mon 26-Aug-13 21:40:05

love my springer smile shes so happy all the time and just as happy trekking through the woods as curled up like a pussy cat on the sofa.

English Setter.
I grew up with one, silliest, numptiest, slobberiest dog ever, but so loving.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 26-Aug-13 21:46:27

Pipkins is nearly right - but you need a standard dachshund to drape over you all.

They're big enough to climb mountains but if its rainy they'll happily stay at home. Very clean and non-stinky. Right now mine is in his office basket on his back, paws in the air with his head pointing backwards showing all he's got looking totally adorable. But if someone came to the door he'd be down like a shot, sounding like a huge guard dog. smile

GemmaTeller Mon 26-Aug-13 21:49:24

Boxers all the time for me.

Big, bouncy, giddy, slobbery, cuddly and beautiful

I quite like GSD as well.

If we win the lottery and buy a country pad with acreage we're getting Irish Wolfhounds.

Cats = small and cuddly

Dogs = the bigger the better

LadyTurmoil Mon 26-Aug-13 22:07:18

Fell in love with a Basset Fauve de Bretagne who was our "holiday friend" in France recently. He would visit several times a day for cuddles, a rest and a drink. Would have happily brought him back to the UK! (Pic on profile)

Awks Mon 26-Aug-13 23:05:17

Cocker spaniel. Every day is Christmas Day for a cocker.

SignoraStronza Tue 27-Aug-13 06:45:01

German Shepherd. Loyal, affectionate, really intelligent, easy to train and great family dogs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now