a dog for my son ... advice on how to find one, pls?

(23 Posts)
miemohrs Fri 23-Aug-13 09:55:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nemanemo Fri 23-Aug-13 10:04:08

Please think about a rescue. There are so many lovely dogs out there looking for good homes and a responsible rescue organisation will try to match a dog to your needs.

ClaimedByMe Fri 23-Aug-13 10:07:06

I will second the rescue idea, most of them will give a two week home trial, we have a rescue staffy and she is the greatest with my 2 dc, she is happy to be left alone to sleep or is happy to be dressed up and used as part of a game she is my 3rd child

miemohrs Fri 23-Aug-13 10:29:47

If your local rescue won't rehome with you, I would worry about your set-up. I'd imagine it would be very difficult to have a dog - especially a young dog still going through toilet training - without easy access to a garden or private area of ground.

miemohrs Fri 23-Aug-13 10:36:05

MrsWolowitz Fri 23-Aug-13 10:38:46

Have you thought about a retired greyhound?

Good idea to talk to them again - ask them what sort of things they require for a rehome.

As for breeds - I'm quite fond of cocker spaniels! Mine is a cheerful bouncy little imp, though with a streak of independence.

miemohrs Fri 23-Aug-13 11:15:11

SmallFarAway Fri 23-Aug-13 11:21:55

I think a golden retriever or a Lab would be a good match. Breed rescues tend yo have fewer set rules and will assess each family as individuals. But do consider a retired greyhound too. They tend to be very steady, loyal and easygoing.

SparkyTGD Fri 23-Aug-13 11:27:51

I'd go for rescue too, is there maybe another one that's not too far that aren't so rigid?

As long as you are really firm & can cope with going again & again until you find the 'right' dog for you & your son.

I think a spaniel is a good idea too, and the benefit of getting a rehomed or rescue would be that you will get some idea of their personality.

Beccadugs Fri 23-Aug-13 11:31:47

A friend of mine has just rehomed a guide dog who failed it's training! Obviously still an incredible dog, but just a bit too shy to be a confident guide dog. Lots of labs, golden retrievers. Might be worth looking at.

Ilovemyrabbits Fri 23-Aug-13 11:34:03

We had a pup and struggled with toilet training because we couldn't access our back garden easily. Walking several times a day sounds easy, but it prolongs the training process in my experience and your dog may become very demanding, as ours is, when he/she wants to go out. Rabbitsdog is 'trained' to go for walks several times a day now, even though we have a great garden in which she can go and she's an itty bitty dog with a lazy streak three miles wide!

Having said all that it was worth the misery (in retrospect and now we've got past the 'it was your idea to get a bloody dog' divorce threats) and I wouldn't be without her.

tabulahrasa Fri 23-Aug-13 11:56:25

Don't whatever you do, please, buy a dog from gumtree...no ethical breeders advertise on gumtree, it's a cesspit of puppy farmers, back yard breeders trying to make money from their pets and people trying to 'get their money back' from pets they've bought and couldn't be bothered training and now can't cope with.

Basically people you don't want to be financially supporting for bad choices.

You're spoilt for choice with rescues, there's no shortage of them and plenty of them are willing to properly assess whether you're suitable for a dog rather than having hard and fast blanket rules.

LadyTurmoil Fri 23-Aug-13 12:07:01

look at https://www.facebook.com/BlackRetrieverXRescue?fref=ts if you have Facebook. I also second those who advise you to go for a slightly older dog. The cute puppy phase doesn't last long but is such hard work (look at some other threads about puppies on here and you'll find people tearing their hair out). Black Retriever Rescue has some gorgeous dogs, they are in foster so have been assessed with children/cats/other dogs and therefore would be perhaps a more reliable choice for you.

miemohrs Fri 23-Aug-13 12:17:09

miemohrs Fri 23-Aug-13 12:28:03

LadyTurmoil Fri 23-Aug-13 12:40:42

There are loads of rescues on FB, some are groups that you have to join but others just have a page, like the Black Retriever Rescue.

Where are you in UK roughly? If you're in the South East, another one is Pro Dogs Direct www.prodogsdirect.org.uk/#/dogs/4564213851 and they have a Facebook page too https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pro-Dogs-Direct/321074236470?fref=ts

I'm sure you've thought about it, but a retriever/lab size would be too big for your 9 y/o to take for walks, perhaps a smaller size type would be easier for him. Smaller dogs take up less room generally, easier to get in a smaller car etc.

Also think about costs of vaccinations, kennel/dog sitting if you want to go on hols without dog, etc. Long days out are difficult too unless friend/relative will come and take dog for walk... and your DS will love to take dog for a walk sometimes but main burden of looking after him/her will be up to you.

miemohrs Fri 23-Aug-13 12:48:09

miemohrs Fri 23-Aug-13 12:59:02

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 23-Aug-13 12:59:55

Failed guide dogs have around a 7 year waiting list as the puppy walker is always given the chance to adopted the dog.

miemohrs Fri 23-Aug-13 13:18:39

mrslaughan Fri 23-Aug-13 14:49:30

What about a whippet? Have you looked at scruples whippet rescue online?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now