Dog has an obstruction and being operated on

(6 Posts)
mildredlathbury Thu 22-Aug-13 20:32:19

Our lovely 1 year old terrier is being looked after by the GPs while we were on holiday and we were due to collect him tomorrow.

Anyway we had a phone call today to day he's been sick (white and frothy) and got more and more unhappy. DM took him to the vet who's sedated and x rayed him and though can't see anything, can feel a marble sized thing in his intestine. She's operating now and to pass the time, please tell me reassuring stories.

Greyhorses Thu 22-Aug-13 21:08:30

Hi,

I hope your little dog pulls through ok!! I have seen many foreign bodies and ex laps and the majority have been fine although the recovery can be long.

My own dog had an ex lap last Christmas (bloody stone) and was bouncing about by January, he is laid at my feet fine now!

Fingers crossed for you

OP, just wanted to wish you all the best, and say how much I also adore Barbara Pym. Excellent Women is one of my all time favourite books.

1MitchellMum Thu 22-Aug-13 21:26:47

A friend's dog had a stone removed yesterday. The dog is on FBook now looking as if nothing had happened! Your dog is young so should be fine. But I know how you feel, hovering by the phone!

mildredlathbury Thu 22-Aug-13 21:40:24

Thank you for your messages. The vet has phoned to say she found a fruit stone, possibly a peach in his small intestine! He's drowsy and so far fine!
We have booked a holiday cottage specially to take the dog and enjoy long walks. He's on bed rest for the duration!
Just hope his recovery is smooth. Googled and read about peritonitis but decided to stop scaring myself and shut it down.

1MitchellMum Fri 23-Aug-13 09:04:56

Glad he's OK! Happy holidays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now