any vets about for some advice please?

(4 Posts)
ceres Thu 22-Aug-13 00:51:43

we took our 13 year old staffie to the vet this evening.

earlier today he had been sick twice and had also had a bout of diarrhoea.

he has a history of colitis but this is not typical of his episodes - he doesn't usually vomit.

my husband saw him eating some bark mulch in the garden yesterday (and obviously stopped him).

the vet examined him and couldn't find much wrong although he was in some discomfort when she examined his tummy. she gave him an anti-emetic injection and also a painkiller by injection. this was at approx. 8.30pm.

we came home and he has been really unsettled. he has had some water but each time he has vomited shortly afterwards. he has been shaking on and off and panting a lot. he keeps wanting to go in the garden and then tries to literally get in the bushes.

is there anything else we can do to help him? I gave him a buscopan 10mg around midday and another one around 9pm - can he have another one yet?

he has just been out in the garden again and had diarrhoea - more colitis like with lots of mucous. also bits of bark in it. he has settled a bit since coming back in.

any advice gratefully received. we will of course take him back to the vets in the morning but I think it's going to be a long night.

Hope the night improved Op. The panting, shivering and restlessness may well all be pain related. If he is unable to keep even a small amount of water down then he needs to be seen by the vet again this morning.

Hope the poor love is better soon.

topbannana Thu 22-Aug-13 06:47:01

Is it just bark mulch OP? I read a while ago about some gardening "stuff" that contained cocoa. It was very attractive to dogs and causes the same problems as chocolate poisoning sad

ceres Thu 22-Aug-13 07:17:00

thanks Sebastian and topbannana.

he settled eventually after another bout of diarrhoea - although he ended up sleeping on a duvet in the utility room rather than in bed with one of us which is unusual. he crashed out and was sleeping soundly so we opted to leave him there.

we had left the bedroom door open and he came looking for me around 6am this morning. initially he didn't want to go out for a wee and got into bed and had a cuddle.

he went out about 10 minutes ago and had diarrhoea again. he is still quite dejected but seems better than he was.

I also read about cocoa bark and was worried about this so will mention it to the vet. we did tell her he had eaten bark but it wasn't until I got home I google and read about the possibility of cocoa bark.

we're going to keep a close eye on him and will take him back to the vet for another check over.

thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now