Phantom pregnancy will this stop her from ever getting pregnant?

(4 Posts)
Diamondjade10 Wed 21-Aug-13 22:36:45

Hi all,

We have a little Lhasa apso who is only 9 months and had her 1st heat now she has a phantom pregnancy bless her, I've heard aparantley if this happens it means her hormones aren't working correctly, we were hoping to breed once from her in a couple of years time, but don't know if this will happen, or will she be prone to phantom pregnancy? Any advice will be great smile

Thanks

mrsjay Thu 22-Aug-13 10:07:19

I dont think so MY friend has bred dogs for years and one of hers have had a phantom pregnancy
although one of my aunts dog had countless phantoms and never got pregnant and then needed a hysterectomy ask your vet , IT is awful for them our last dog had one after her first season and couldnt be speyed until it was over it lasted weeks

tabulahrasa Thu 22-Aug-13 11:45:12

Um, in the nicest possible way - why are you thinking of breeding if you don't have somebody to ask things like that?

Is her breeder not mentoring you as you bought her to breed from?

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 22-Aug-13 12:09:25

Phantom pregnancies happen because after a season the hormonal changes are exactly the same regardless of whether the bitch is pregnant until around 50 days. The fact that your bitch has had ton pregnancy is no reflection of her ability to have a litter.
I always advise people to think long and hard about a litter. You will need to give up 8 weeks of your life, budget around £1000 in case of worst scenario ( this does not include breed appropriate health testing), be prepared to offer lifelong support to puppies that you breed and be prepared to take them back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now