harness or collar and lead for puppy

(10 Posts)
basildonbond Wed 21-Aug-13 13:11:33

one of my biggest requirements for our new puppy is that he'll walk nicely on the lead (my friend has a lovely spaniel but she's sooo badly behaved on the lead - constantly pulling - and always jumping up and I know I definitely don't want that ...)

so traditional collar and lead or harness, and if harness, which one?

Floralnomad Wed 21-Aug-13 16:48:09

It's really personal preference as loose lead walking can be trained using either . If you ever intend to use an extender lead or long line though a harness is essential so perhaps consider that before you decide . Due to trachea problems my dog cannot be walked in a flat collar so we use a harness and I've tried lots and our favourite is the Doxlock .

Whoknowswhocares Wed 21-Aug-13 22:12:49

Standard kit for puppy classes is a flat collar and lead, so I would advise starting with that. Unless you are using an extendable lead (bloody awful, dangerous things imo, but hey-ho) in which case a harness is essential.
If at a later stage it proves necessary, you can change to a harness later

koalalou Thu 22-Aug-13 18:05:47

Do you not need a harness for the car though - so that the dog/puppy can be attached to the seat belt? We keep a harness on our puppy so that she can be walked or put into the car. Btw the puppy trainer recommended a harness with attachment at the front of the chest for any of the bigger breeds as it makes it harder for them to pull.

halties are blummin great if you ask me.

toboldlygo Sat 24-Aug-13 17:22:36

Please don't use a halti on a puppy!

Flat collar and plain lead will be required for puppy classes and honestly is all you need if you're consistent.

I'm not a fan of harnesses for the car, much prefer a crate, hundred times easier with a wriggly pup and better for damage containment after muddy walks. smile

Floralnomad Sat 24-Aug-13 18:04:13

We went to puppy classes and used a harness and it wasn't a problem . My dog loves sitting on the seat in the car and I've adapted an old puffa type jacket and turned it into a kind of dog bag so that he can wear it with his harness and be all cosy and dry by the time we get home ! I've never had a car that is suitable for a crate .

if it's a very tiny puppy then obviously not! sorry should have been clearer

wispaxmas Sat 24-Aug-13 19:02:18

Harnesses can actually work against you with a strong, strong willed puppy, as it will allow the puppy to pull from the body, which means more effective pulling. It's why haltis are great (for older puppies or bigger puppies), but if you do lead training a collar and short lead are all you need. In order to train good manners on lead, devote some time to training. Don't expect your puppy to pick it up rig away, walks are exciting! They can smell thing! See things! Cats! Squirrels! So do lead training indoors at first. Attach the lead and walk around the house. Have training treats in your hand and hold them at your side. Give treats when your puppy walks alongside you, and if it walks ahead just turn around and walk the opposite way and as soon as the puppy is at your side, treat! Then graduate to outside and do the same, always turning in the opposite direction to where puppy is pulling. The first few time you might go nowhere, and puppy will be disappointed to have not gotten a fun walk, and will pick it up, realising walking with manners gets treats and a fun walk as reward!

BMW6 Tue 27-Aug-13 10:50:43

My boy can be a dreadful puller (esp when somewhere different) and I tried harness, but as wispa said, it just enabled him to put his back into the pulling like a blooming husky!!

I now use just collar & lead, and Haltie for the times when he won't behave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now