kennel cough any tips how to help

(8 Posts)
addictedtolatte Tue 20-Aug-13 21:36:22

Hi my mum has took her little dog to the vet 3 days ago and they suspected kennel cough they given her antibiotics and anti-inflamattries for him. Is there any advice you have to help this poor doggy get over this. Its so distressing to hear him struggling when coughing. Thanks for reading

Floralnomad Tue 20-Aug-13 21:40:12

Tixylix is very good and my dog loved it ,our vet said it was fine for him to have it .

addictedtolatte Tue 20-Aug-13 22:23:40

Thank you I will let my mum know. Where you advised about dosage? My mums dog is a small Yorkshire terrier. Sorry to pester you am just trying to help this poor dog.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 20-Aug-13 22:56:02

Steamy bathrooms are very good.

Floralnomad Tue 20-Aug-13 23:25:44

My dog was about 8kg when he had it and I gave him a normal medicine spoonful (5mls) about 3/4 times a day .

Ginnytonic82 Wed 21-Aug-13 12:34:10

Our lab had kennel cough over christmas and it is so upsetting to see them coughing. Our vet gave her the same medicines but also recommended we try giving her some warm chicken soup (we used 1/5 of a carton of Covent Garden low salt) with raw garlic chopped up inside it. Sounds nuts but it did seem to sooth her especially in the evening. Hope your mum's dog makes a speedy recovery.

Lilcamper Wed 21-Aug-13 12:57:44

Honey is also nice and soothing for their throats.

addictedtolatte Wed 21-Aug-13 20:07:58

Thanks everyone for your useful advice mum has been out today and stocked up on all your remedies. Fingers crossed something works :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now