Rehoming an ex-racing greyhound...

(5 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Sun 18-Aug-13 18:14:21

Anyone done it?

I'm very tempted to start looking for one in a year or so.

Do we sound suitable? We have a very active, outdoorsy life but have 3 DC (DD1 will be 5 soon and DTs will be 3 soon), a 7 month old Cocker X puppy (who is a hyperactive numpty but we are working hard on training and he is doing really well, his recall is still pants though hmm ) We also have a cat.

Do greyhounds mind busy lives or would they prefer a quieter life? What's the shedding like? Can they be left off the lead? Will it eat my cat or children?

So many questions!

SomerzetMun Sun 18-Aug-13 21:21:25

Try contacting GRWE.com I have just spoken to them as I am starting to consider taking one on. The rehomer I spoke to was friendly and realistic about the type of home that are suitable, don't worry if you don't live in the west of England they have rehoming up and down the UK smile

TheCunnyFunt Sun 18-Aug-13 22:23:55

Pop over to the Pointy hounds cushion MrsW, there are lots of knowledgable Greyhound owners on there who can advise you smile

I've had two my first was a very nervous dog who I started taking with me but was often happier at home without me. She gained confidence but as she got older she didn't want to walk as far. My newest dog loves walking and being around people so we take him most places with me. At the moment he can run 5 miles with me but is pretty worm out afterwards!

Shedding is minimal apart from big fusses then you get a handful.

My girl was so very nervous of people se would have run away from me if someone had got between me and her so I never tried and he was happy walked on a lead. I've been working on training my boy and he's doing so well and loving it!

Eating children is a pretty much certain no! My experience of all greyhound is that they are great with kids. My boy is 2 and gets very excited when the children squeak and squeal and gets a bit nippy, seems he wants to play so we do muzzle him occasionally at home but are working on it too. My girl would be happy with any child doing anything to her as she was soppy as anything.

We have 4 cats and all ok with our two, but we were upfront and were recommended dogs that were likely to be cat safe. We had another greyhound in between who didn't work out who was mad over our cats and was constantly trying to get to them. He did catch one but didn't do her any harm.

Greyhounds are lovely dogs and settle well into homes despite often only being in kennels. Our boy is very clingy to me but we've worked on him being left and he's much happier home alone. I love that he's very playful with my boys, enjoys walking but also happy to have a lazy day at home once he's had a a nice morning walk.

I've got some great books and there's so much info available. Speak to your local greyhound rescue about your situation and you will get lots of support.

Around 20% of greyhounds are potentially cat friendly - your rescue can advise. There is usually a waiting list for cat friendly greys so you may have to wait a little longer for the right hound.

Children, most greys will cope with DC but of course as with all dogs, DC should not poke,prod, tease etc, should respect sleeping areas and understand that greys often sleep wiht eyes open. Many of the folk on the Pointy Hounds cushion have a variety of hound/child combos of various ages/stages. Bear in mind that greys have incredibly thin skin and no fat covering their bones so do get hurt if DC try to engage in rough play.

Younger hounds can enjoy running and longer walks but to be honest if you are regularly wanting to do long (10 mile +) yomps across the Quantocks then it's not their thing. They are natural sprinters so dont' have huge amounts of stamina. Ours enjoy walks of up to 1 - 2 hours on the weekend and after a good run on the beach say, they'll be fast asleep for most of the rest of the day. For a bit more stamina, you could look at getting a lurcher - very similar but the cross will usually provide a bit more stamina/brains (obviously depending on the cross).

Come over to the Cushion for a chat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now