2nd dog - is it a good idea?

(22 Posts)
Singlediva Mon 12-Aug-13 22:45:19

I am seriously thinking of getting a new puppy.
I already have a Lhasa apso who will be 3 next month and up to a couple of months ago I thought he was happy being an 'only' dog but starting to change my mind.

We walk a few times a week with a number of dogs and he seems to really enjoy being with them. When we are at home he can be quite sad, especially if I'm busy. I have 2 teenage children and they say when I'm out he is quiet and just waiting for me to come home.

I work mornings but my dd is at college and is home most mornings so puppy wouldn't be alone too much. I would get another small dog whose exercise needs were similar to my current dogs.

Is it a good idea or not?

bellasuewow Fri 16-Aug-13 23:11:30

My two love each other and provide real company when I am out so I say go for it

tillyo Tue 20-Aug-13 00:46:41

Best thing I done was getting another dog. My older dog loves having someone to play with and chase. They even kiss each other. Only problem I have is my older dog is so vocal when he plays but vet said this is because his so happy so can't complain lol x

Shropshiremummy2bLaFay Tue 20-Aug-13 00:56:36

I'm the opposite sorry, we must have really spoilt number 1 because he doesn't like even being in the same room as 2! If she walks in, he leaves. He doesn't interact with her at all. We thought it would be great company for him because he's quite playful with other dogs but can't be bothered with her. We didn't get a tiny puppy because we thought it would annoy him too much but at 6months the new pooch is well behaved and doesn't pester him because he'll grumble. Don't regret getting number two, but wish number one would like her! Good luck

Our 2 year old is very sociable so we decided to find a friend for him. I was all for getting a youngish rescue dog but my dd2 was adamant it should be a puppy. So we collected our 10 week old rescue pup last week. Initially Oscar ignored him and walked away when he came near him. He also sulked at the bottom of the garden. After a few days they started to interact and now they play a lot. They can be quite rough but Oscar growls if pup oversteps the mark and Ollie squeals if Oscar gets a bit carried away. It looks like they are going to be great friends so we are very happy. Good luck!

My 2 year old spaniel is extremely nervous of other dogs, and reacts to them if they rush up to him. We thought long and hard about getting another dog, and decided to take a puppy home on a trial basis to see how it would go. It's been fantastic. Initially, there were a few snarls and grumps, but it settled down within a fortnight and now they sleep together. The puppy taught my older dog to play, which has been lovely to see, and has fitted right in. The right dog is a pleasure smile

My 3 year old border terrier sulked for a week when we brought our labradoodle pup home. 8 weeks later they are inseparable. smile

Singlediva Thu 22-Aug-13 06:41:12

I've decided to go ahead and brought home new pup on Monday.
Things seem to be going quite well, started off will a few snarls when pup touched his stuff. Pup now lets go of anything when Oscar approaches her, when he walks away she carries on. They have started joining up together against the cats and yesterday Oscar stopped drinking some water when pup wanted a drink. He waited until she finished and then carried on. Little signs but moving in the right direction.

Thank you for all your advice, feeling positive.

Sounds like they are going to be firm friends, singlediva. I left my two in the kitchen together with the door to Ollie's large crate open for 5 minutes and came back to find Oscar (grown up dog) squeezed into the crate and Ollie looking puzzled! Hope you enjoy the new member f your family!

tillyo Fri 23-Aug-13 00:13:20

Do you have any pictures of new pup? Sounds like they will be best friends before you know it x

Singlediva Fri 23-Aug-13 06:00:50

I've up loaded a picture but not sure if I've done it right, please let me know if you can see it!

Gillybobs Fri 23-Aug-13 13:00:20

I collect my new pup tomorrow, hoping my very spoiled 18 month old doodle doesn't kick up a fuss

digerd Fri 23-Aug-13 20:44:42

OP Is the new pup a Lhasa apso too? I can't get into your profile to see any pics. sad
I have an almost 3 year-old Lhasa and she is very quiet when at home, but being older, is just what I wanted.
When I went into a neighbour's house who has a male neutered beagle, she came alive and they were running through the neighbours house. She acted like she owned the house and she bossed him around with just one look smile.
He did fall in love with her at first sniff though and was putty in her paws and she knew itgrin

tillyo Fri 23-Aug-13 22:50:21

Can't see no picture sad

Gilly - what's the new pup? Pictures please smile

Singlediva Fri 23-Aug-13 22:57:20

Sorry cant work out photos on here!
New pup is a cross between a schnauzer and a bichon, very scruffy but cute! I didn't want another Lhasa as I love Oscar so much I didn't want to be comparing it to him!!
He is a very laid back dog, bit if a couch potato so we chose the quietest pup in the litter and it seems to be paying off so far.

Gillybobs Sun 25-Aug-13 10:09:21

I've put a pic on my profile. She's a black curly doodle. So far my older doodle Amber is NOT impressed. Barking and swiping. Not letting her near any toys etc. please reassure me! Also new pup won't go in crate at all which is a worry as I need to leave thm for an hour next week and don't think they are likely to be best chums by then!

Oh, she's adorable and squishy. With my chocolate Doodle we could have a complete set grin A week is a long time smile - she'll be fine.

Gillybobs Mon 26-Aug-13 12:31:50

Thank you. I'm a jumble of emotions right now :-) aren't doodles just gorgeous? How old is yours?

Yes, they're lovely but far too clever for their own good grin. She's 5 months now so into everything, wrestling with my other dog, food centric but a dream to train - compared with a terrier!

Gillybobs Mon 26-Aug-13 13:03:21

I swear our older doodle thinks she's human. She certainly uses those front paws like hands.

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Fri 30-Aug-13 13:28:54

We were worried about Maggi (Yorkie/poodle, 5 months) being bored during the day so we bought Milo (same breed, 1.5 months younger) about a month ago to keep her company. She barked her head off and tried to sit on him at first, but now they're inseperable and lovely to see together. They play tag, wrestle & sleep in a furry tangle so it's impossible to tell which limbs are whose grin.

She's really taken the big sister role. He's a bit more nervous so she takes the lead when meeting other dogs and he joins her when he's feeling a bit braver. We're absolutely certain it was the right thing to do.

Pics on profile grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now