Rescue dog - house training - won't toilet outside

(13 Posts)

My gorgeous fostered rescue dog has been with us a year, he had a huge, cast iron bladder, until he was started on steroids.
The vet warned us they'd make him thirsty but its ridiculous. He's drinking like a fish and doing huge wees by the patio door, on the lounge carpet.
DH is sleeping downstairs to let him out overnight but it's still not enough.
I could smell the urine as I came down the stairs this morning. I spent ages cleaning the carpets but then took the DCs to the cinema this afternoon and came home to a tsunami of wee again.
It's getting me down, it's all I can smell. sad
No help to you OP - sorry! blush

bellasuewow Sat 03-Aug-13 21:18:03

When I got my rescue dog years ago I was too inexperienced to know to use a crate from day one I would have saved myself so much cleaning up poo and saved her stress of doing it on kitchen floor all the time crate can give routine and security to a dog when it's feeling insecure I think

teaforthree Mon 29-Jul-13 11:53:22

We had toilet issues with our rescue, we've had her 6 weeks now (I think) she would wee in the house quite regularly and only upstairs where there wasn't any laminate flooring hmm

We did the treats and praise when she did wee outside, even at the park, and also the kitchen towel we used to soak up the wee we put outside where we wanted her to go and then took her to it on the lead. It took a while, and on the whole she is pretty good, she caught on quite quickly!

Living Mon 29-Jul-13 06:05:06

I'm probably falling into a common argument/misconception here (so feel free tp educate me) but I would argue the breed does make a difference. Could understand someone trying to argue 'that Labrador is lovely and will be great for my family' when being told it had behavioural problems but doing so with a breed which.has (rightly or wrongly) a very bad rep is even higher stupidity. Neither ok of course.

tabulahrasa Sun 28-Jul-13 22:04:54

Um, while it's obviously ridiculous to insist on a particular dog when a volunteer is saying it's not suitable...the breed of dog has nothing to do with anything.

Living Sun 28-Jul-13 20:37:56

Well he's back at the shelter and we pick him up for good on Thursday. Had a bit of a brainwave and took him to some sand where he promptly did a wee. Poor thing clearly doesn't know what grass is.

Think we.might have been a little lacking in preparation (went on Thursday to be told pick up dog for home visit on Fri am grin )- the shelter is closing and has around 100 dogs to rehome. It just isn't going happen for a significant number of them. sad

When we dropped him back there was a family there strongly arguing that they wanted that particular dog regardless of what the volunteer thought. They had an (approx) 4 year old with them. It was a pitbull.

My cluelessness is probably nothing in comparison.

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 27-Jul-13 21:53:16

best of luck with him! do update!

Living Sat 27-Jul-13 10:57:47

Thanks. We have now located a crate (the first vet's didn't have a big enough one) and will pick it up this evening. We've got a timer on and am taking him out every 20 mins but so far no interest. He's done a poo in the kitchen but I'm not finding puddles around the hoyrs. How often do digs pee?!

He's not terribly keen on the regular trips out - we're in the middle east and it's hot out there!

He goes back to the shelter this evening and we pick him up for good next Thursday after he's been neutered, microchipped and (hopefully) de-ticked!

Grunzlewheek Sat 27-Jul-13 09:14:05

You will have to treat him like a puppy, restrict your dog's movements so he can't wander off and pee anywhere he feels like it, we have lots of baby gates for this. Take him out every hour, walk slowly round the garden like you are looking for a place to pee. Take him out after he has woken up, after he has been playing, 20 minutes after eating (we go out straight after then again later) if he doesn't "perform" don't stay out there for hours just go out again 1/2 hour later and only relax when you know he is "empty".

Living Sat 27-Jul-13 06:26:15

Thanks. I'll try to get hold of a crate (I'm not in the UK so cant just pop to Argos). He's really nice dog I think this is just a shock to the system!

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 27-Jul-13 06:24:22

oh and of course take him/her out regularly to the garden - say "go wee" or whatever you choose to use - when he/she does praise like billio!

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 27-Jul-13 06:11:49

my rescue was the same - she came to me at 6 months and they gave me a towel with her. i thought "nno chance!"

dogs generally dont mess in their bed - so i crated her at night. it worked from night one.
she stopped over night.
as she has got older i got rid of the crate. The crate was her bed - she loved it and i only shut her in it over night or for short periods during hte day if i was out.
try a crate - its not cruel - it gives security and they like that. I covered it with a blanket over night to begin with - she liked that.

incidentally my other dog who was not a rescue did the same - i crated him for a short time too - it gets them out of the habit of just going where they want, when they want.

try it. you can get decent crates from argos - dont make it too big though - just big enough for his bed.

Living Sat 27-Jul-13 05:47:56

Hello all. Would really appreciate some help with the rescue dog we're in the process of adopting.

The dog was born at the shelter and has been in kennels all his life (he's 11 months). We have him on home trial this weekend. He's toilet trained in kennels but obviously the house is a complete new ball game.

Problem is no matter how long I walk him / hang around outside he is not showing any interest in toiletting outside.This means I cant reinforce positive behaviour. Instead he decides to go on the book case in the middle of the night. Any ideas?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now