Dog licking its paws excessively

(6 Posts)
cocolepew Fri 26-Jul-13 00:21:35

my dog does this when her anal glands need emptied hmm

SallyBear Thu 25-Jul-13 23:56:37

My mum's dog does this. She suffers from hay fever. It's an allergic reaction to the pollen. She gives her a piriton tablet.

mrslaughan Thu 25-Jul-13 22:17:54

IT is new - started with the hot weather. Also started on one paw (we thought) in conjunction with injured paw(broken diget) - we thought he was licking because it was sore. Vet said Dermititis, may have been Atopic - can't remember. But he is now licking all 4, tops and bottom.
Vet gave a anti-biotic/steroid creme, but would like to avoid spreading this on constantly.
Interestingly he had hydrotherapy today, and the therapist said that often the chlorine resolves skin problems - and he hasn't really licked since......

I was just wondering if anyone had any natural remedies I could try.

welshfirsttimemummy Thu 25-Jul-13 20:33:00

Most probably a skin complaint. Paw licking can be a sign of atopic dermatitis and can be treated easily, but needs to be diagnosed by a vet. Or could be allergy? Sunburn even in this weather smile

McFluffy Thu 25-Jul-13 19:13:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrslaughan Thu 25-Jul-13 19:07:45

We have a giant breed - 1 year old, with this hot weather (this is when it has started) he is licking his paws excessively - to the point of starting to irritate them. I took him to hydro therapy today and while they were wet, you could see he was thinning the hair.
Any suggestions to stop this behaviour?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now