Skinners puppy food?

(9 Posts)
SpiderCharlotte Sun 28-Jul-13 09:09:43

Oh its a minefield, all these different foods!!! Thanks to everyone for all the replies.

lastnightiwenttomanderleyagain Sat 27-Jul-13 02:48:29

Sharkteeth came to us on Royal Canin. MIL has always sworn by Burns so we looked into alternatives using whichdogfood.co uk which suggested Eden as being the best nutritionally and cost wise <raises a sceptical eyebrow>. We ordered a sample which came yesterday - gave him a handful and he wholfed it down.

Will start mixing in with his normal food and let you know how we get on.

MultumInParvo Fri 26-Jul-13 07:50:47

As long as the first ingredient is a high specified meat percentage it's a good food. Ie 60% chicken, lamb etc.

I use nature diet.it works out at £1.40 a day to feed two 8kg dogs, which I don't think is a lot for high quality food. They have a rotary each a day. I buy 4 boxes of 18 at a time for £57 from berriewoods. You can also buy it for 99p a tray from pets at home to try.

topbannana Fri 26-Jul-13 07:35:51

www.whichdogfood.co.uk/compare-dog-foods/0066-0299/royal-canin-vs-skinners

Not sure if I have the right type of RC food and I guessed at 5-10kg for your dog but as you can see there is very little difference in price per day feeding between the two.

topbannana Fri 26-Jul-13 07:29:39

The LandShark came to us on it and GingerDog has been on the duck and rice for some years. It's good stuff, IMO the best of the cheaper foods.
However we now feed Barking Heads. Their poo is nicer and easier to pick up and their general condition is better. In comparison it is cheaper to feed BH as you use so little of it compared to the Skinners.
Also be aware that it is working dog food (partly why it is cheap as there is no VAT charged on it) and may make your dog too full of beans (we still feed it during the season as it gives the working dogs a little extra boost)

As general advice - not a criticism of Skinners particularly - your puppy has just one chance to do all the growing she needs to do for the rest of her life. It happens really fast and massive changes happen in a very short period of time, especially in a larger breed.

In my view, puppyhood is not the time to economise on food. Buy the very best you can afford during this vital time - economise by all means when growth has slowed down, but give your puppy the best quality fuel you can afford during this time. It'll help prevent problems in the future.

milkybarsrus Thu 25-Jul-13 21:32:25

p.s..... sorry petfood shop owner didn't say they were all good, what he meant was the high end dry dog food was good in HIS shop, but that skinners was good food and good value. Stay away from the likes of Pedigree and Wagg and Bakers if you can. I hope that makes sense.

milkybarsrus Thu 25-Jul-13 21:29:49

just changed to skinners puppy food due to recommendation from vets and also cost plus a petfood shop owner. I did not say I had a budget, therefore was not necessarily looking for the cheapest, but he had all the other brands and he said they were all good, but that Skinners was very good. It has no additives or nasties in it. It took about 10 days to change puppy onto the food and he is thriving. No sickness, good well formed poo (sorry if TMI) and very cost effective.

SpiderCharlotte Thu 25-Jul-13 16:28:44

Any good? I keep hearing good things about it and am thinking of changing over from Royal Canin (very gradually over a week or so). RC is SO expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now