My beautiful lab is really ill.

(134 Posts)
dogsagoodun Wed 24-Jul-13 19:38:19

He's not been himself for a couple of weeks; off his food and lethargic. I just put it down to the heat. He was drinking plenty and still seemed ok.

Today he emptied his bowels all over the dining room floor and I just knew. I called DH to come.home and take him to the vets. The vet said he is a very poorly dog. He thinks hepatitis or liver cancer. He's having a scan tomorrow. He said he's going to get very poorly over the next couple of weeks and actually couldn't believe how lively he was. My brave boy.

I feel so sad and scared.

rubyredbeau Sat 27-Jul-13 20:45:37

I had two chocolate labs until recently when we lost one to liver issues (she was 18 months after chemo for cancer). Still don't think I am over it, she was my first ever dog. Sorry point was sending you and Charlie support, they are the most amazing dogs and can bounce back !

dogsagoodun Sat 27-Jul-13 21:11:23

He's gone. We are devastated. My beautiful, beautiful boy. I am going to miss him so much. This feels so cruel.

How do I tell the children. They're sleeping now. I can't stand the thought that they've got to wake up to this tomorrow.

Thank you so much every one of you for willing my boy on.

To Charlie, the best dog that ever lived. We will always love you!

ratbagcatbag Sat 27-Jul-13 21:14:33

Run free at rainbow bridge Charlie.

Massive hugs to you and your family. Xx

everlong Sat 27-Jul-13 21:16:18

I'm so so sad to read this. So unfair.

Run free Charlie dog.

Biggest hugs for your lovely mum x

eurozammo Sat 27-Jul-13 21:19:06

Oh, so sad. We had a yellow lab when I was a teen. Rescue dog, and so lovely. I'm so sorry that Charlie has gone.

Oh no sad

Sweet dreams Charlie xx

He won't forget you dogs. Animals never forget those who showed them love. He will be with you in your heart always.xx

rubyredbeau Sat 27-Jul-13 21:22:01

Oh no my heart goes out to you! Telling the kids isn't great my ds(9) took it badly but dd(5) was ok. I wish you all well and hope you get through this together!

starfishmummy Sat 27-Jul-13 21:23:54

((((hugs))))

Fishandjam Sat 27-Jul-13 21:25:17

I am so sorry. Much love to you and your family.

outtolunchagain Sat 27-Jul-13 21:31:22

So sorry , I am welling up and I don't even know you or your lovely Charlie ,but I know how I would feel if it were our dog, they just get into your heart .

You gave him a wonderful life and he loved you as much as you him, and you must hang on to that.

Happiestinwellybobs Sat 27-Jul-13 21:39:07

I am so sorry for you all. Charlie will be running free at Rainbow Bridge. And he will know how much he was loved by you x

peachactiviaminge Sat 27-Jul-13 21:44:40

Run free sweet boy. He has the same name as our boy and I've this huge lump in my throat both for you and yours and the idea of going through this one day with our old boy. They're never with us long enough. Be kind to yourselves and remember your wonderful boy with only joy and love. xx

So, so sorry to hear this. {{{hugs}}}

bassetfeet Sat 27-Jul-13 21:45:42

So sorry to read this news. The love you gave Charlie shines through your words. And he will have had a lovely life with you .

Run free Charlie . x

coffeeinbed Sat 27-Jul-13 21:46:55

Oh no.
So sorry!

tibni Sat 27-Jul-13 21:55:11

so sorry. sad

thechildrensparkle Sat 27-Jul-13 22:05:24

Oh lovely. I lost my dog when I was about 12 and my mum wouldn't have another because the grief for a dog just wasn't worth it. It took me years to get over it. For the DC get another puppy as soon as you can bear it. I know you can't replace Charlie but they will need a new dog to transfer their love to and help to forget their grief.

LegoAcupuncture Sat 27-Jul-13 22:06:44

So so sorry.

Oh no. I am so so sorry. Run free Charlie, free from pain.

Love and hugs to you all. The dc will be ok, they loved him and that will help. Love never dies after all, it just gets kept inside of us all. Xxx

RosieLig Sat 27-Jul-13 22:16:18

That's so sad- I'm so sorry. He sounds like a lovely special dog.

SallyBear Sat 27-Jul-13 22:19:50

Dogsagudun - Charlie is running in a field with my SallyBear. Two Labradors having the most fun. My heartfelt sorrow at your sad news.

HoneyDragon Sat 27-Jul-13 22:23:05

Dogsagudun - I'm so sorry sad I followed this thread hoping so badly for a good outcome.
Grieve together with the children, ds was away on a school trip when we lost our lab last year. It broke my heart waiting to tell him, but at least we could then grieve together.

MissMarplesBloomers Sat 27-Jul-13 22:24:13

We had a choccy lab until 2 yrs ago...I still miss the daft bugger they are special boys.

Biggest hugs to you all x

MissStrawberry Sat 27-Jul-13 22:29:20

I am so sorry for your loss.

RIP Charlie.

dogsagoodun Sat 27-Jul-13 22:34:53

Thank you all so much. The tears are flowing.

It really helps to have your support and kind words. I.can't believe I'll never see him.again. It's going to be very quiet in our house, even with three children.

I loved him so much.

Thank you all and sorry to all of you who have.also been through this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now