My beautiful lab is really ill.

(134 Posts)
dogsagoodun Wed 24-Jul-13 19:38:19

He's not been himself for a couple of weeks; off his food and lethargic. I just put it down to the heat. He was drinking plenty and still seemed ok.

Today he emptied his bowels all over the dining room floor and I just knew. I called DH to come.home and take him to the vets. The vet said he is a very poorly dog. He thinks hepatitis or liver cancer. He's having a scan tomorrow. He said he's going to get very poorly over the next couple of weeks and actually couldn't believe how lively he was. My brave boy.

I feel so sad and scared.

ChocolateBiscuitCake Wed 24-Jul-13 19:53:47

how completely heartbreaking - you poor thing and your poor dog. Sending you a big hug

Madondogs Wed 24-Jul-13 20:23:22

So sorry. Wishing good luck to you both, another hug from me.

RandomMess Wed 24-Jul-13 20:25:26

So very sad to read this, good luck.

Happiestinwellybobs Wed 24-Jul-13 20:26:55

Oh so sad sad Sending you a huge hug. And a huge doggie hug to your brave boy too x

dogsagoodun Wed 24-Jul-13 21:42:27

Thank you for your kind words everyone. He's only seven so this is a bit of a shock. Hope to God he's going to be ok.

Think he's rather enjoying (milking) all the extra cuddles tonight!

MrsWolowitz Wed 24-Jul-13 22:02:49

sad

Thinking of you x

momnipotent Wed 24-Jul-13 22:08:06

sad

Sending hugs to you both.

mumofthemonsters808 Wed 24-Jul-13 22:14:35

Oh no, we have a black lab who is 7 and I'd be devastated if he was poorly. He is in good hands and receiving medical treatment, so fingers crossed he will be ok, poor boy. Thinking of you

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Wed 24-Jul-13 22:19:14

So sorry you're going through this. My boy is nine and so far we've been lucky. I really hope your boy is ok. Please come back and let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed for you.

dogsagoodun Wed 24-Jul-13 22:34:20

It's rubbish. DH is so upset. I've never seen him look so sad.

Thank you again for your thoughts. I'll update later on tomorrow once we get his scan results.

1MitchellMum Thu 25-Jul-13 17:48:30

Thinking of you, horrible time. Guess you're still waiting for news? Big hugs. x

dogsagoodun Thu 25-Jul-13 18:03:24

The scan was inconclusive as he had food in tummy. There was a misunderstanding about when he should have remained nil by mouth from. Think DH got it wrong to be honest but I've not said anything because he's upset enough.

So, he's got to go in again tomorrow. More waiting. Poor boy. He is now sporting a rather attractive bald patch.

Happiestinwellybobs Thu 25-Jul-13 19:25:48

Fingers crossed for tomorrow x

SallyBear Thu 25-Jul-13 23:59:15

Poor boy. That's so sad. hmm

1MitchellMum Fri 26-Jul-13 06:50:16

Aww that's awful ... good for you for not getting upset with DH. Thinking of you today.

Frettchen Fri 26-Jul-13 17:01:15

Poor pup, and poor you. Hope the scan today went well and that there's something you can do for your boy.

dogsagoodun Fri 26-Jul-13 19:43:55

He's got hepatitis but the vet said it's the worst case he has ever seen. He's got a truck load of medicine. He's had a shot of.vitamin k today and he has got to have another tomorrow. The vet is going to reassess tomorrow and if he's not happy he is going to book him into the animal hospital.

There is a very real possibility that he won't make it through the next five days. He's a very sick dog. But, if he can get through the next few days we may be able to save him.

It's all such a lot to take in. We're still processing it all and working out logistics for his 24 hour care.

Thanks for your support. I'll update when I know more.

All the best flowers

Thinking of you and wishing your boy strength x

bassetfeet Fri 26-Jul-13 20:37:28

Thinking of you also here. Strength and calm for your lovely dog flowers

Thinking of you all. One of my previous labs had cirrhosis and I know how terrible it can be.

Wishing you all luck. flowers

Happiestinwellybobs Fri 26-Jul-13 21:20:04

Thinking of you all, and sending you and your beautiful boy strength to get through the next few days x

1MitchellMum Fri 26-Jul-13 21:40:42

Poor dog - and poor you. But on the positive side you now have a diagnosis, the medication - and the love and will to make him better. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you all. x

everlong Sat 27-Jul-13 02:05:47

Keeping everything crossed for him OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now