help me decide - boy or girl puppy?

(12 Posts)
basildonbond Wed 24-Jul-13 18:32:32

We're on the waiting list for a couple of breeders and one's called me to let me know that one of her dogs has given birth but they're all boys

Now, do I go for a boy puppy that's definitely been born (will be ready to come to us at the beginning-mid September) or do I wait for a possible girl puppy from one of the other breeders (whose dogs aren't pregnant yet but are hoping to come into season soon)

The puppies are Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers - whichever we got we wouldn't be looking to breed so would be neutered asap.

Aaarrgh - can't decide ..

I thought I didn't mind but am dithering ..

Not sure why as we've had both boys and girls in the past ...

I have to get back to the breeder one way or the other tomorrow

I haven't told dd yet as I know she'd just want to go for a puppy, any puppy ...

basildonbond Wed 24-Jul-13 18:33:57

ps .. please don't tell me I should really be getting a rescue ... my house has been rescue central ... currently home to two rescue cats and last two dogs were rescues

tabulahrasa Wed 24-Jul-13 18:42:17

Assuming health testing and what have you is equal between them, did you get on better with either breeder? Did you have any favourites when meeting the parents?

That's how I'd pick.

If they're all lovely - does either of the timings suit you better?

If you're set up for one nowish, I'd take a boy because I slightly prefer them and you don't have to worry about seasons and timing when you're ready to get them neutered.

But I'd pick by everything else first and take the sex I'm not as keen on if it was the right breeder as really I don't think there's that big a difference once neutered.

ILikeToClean Wed 24-Jul-13 18:44:30

Why does it matter whether boy or girl? Have you always preferred your girls or your boys in the past? I'd go for the boys that had already been born, but that's because I couldn't wait! grin Temperament is more important than sex.

moosemama Wed 24-Jul-13 19:00:14

Same as tabulahrasa. If you really don't have a male/female preference, then I'd go with the breeder that you're most comfortable with - assuming they are both equal in terms of having all the proper health certificates and testing etc.

All things being equal, we should have gone for a girl really, as we already have a boy, although he is neutered. We've had both boys and girls over the years and they've all been lovely. In my experience, it's the individual dog, rather than the gender, that's important, unless you're interested in breeding. The only reason I'd very slightly prefer a boy is because the neutering op is so much quicker and easier for boys than girls and although I know it's the right thing to do and have always had my bitches spayed, I feel so bad for them every time. If the right pup had come along and was a girl, we'd just have happily gone with that.

moosemama Wed 24-Jul-13 19:00:48

No sure any of that actually made sense, sorry. I'm ridiculously tired. blush

Well, I went to get our puppy determined to get a girl. I ended up with the only boy in the litter grin He fit us best, and I just 'knew' he was the dog for us. So my advice would be, if you like the breeder, to go and meet the litter. The right puppy will choose you smile

basildonbond Thu 25-Jul-13 09:54:44

Right - have decided it'll be a boy now (well September) rather than a possible girl later

I don't know why I was dithering - the last 3 dogs we had were all boys and all gorgeous, affectionate, not hard to train and apart from size there's apparently very little difference in temperament between boy and girl Tollers ...

I think I was just feeling a bit overawed by the commitment we're about to make - it's all very well saying 'we're getting a puppy some time in the future' but when said puppy is actually alive and breathing and needing to be looked after I just needed to feel sure

So had a chat with DH and he's fine about getting a boy and dd is ecstatic

Going to see the puppies next week so will update then

Eek!

adogforme Thu 25-Jul-13 15:18:40

envy at getting a Toller.

I'm not mad about boy dogs because of the leg lifting but I'd go for the boy puppy too as I wouldn't be able to wait.

everlong Thu 25-Jul-13 16:10:18

Boys are awesome imo. Steadier, calmer and not as neurotic, obsessed. Very loving and cuddly.

ILikeToClean Thu 25-Jul-13 19:22:55

How exciting! Good luck! grin

Bowlersarm Thu 25-Jul-13 19:26:35

Boys are great. I get far more cuddles from my boy dog than my girl dog. He seems to need me far more and is totally gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now