Poorly mutt

(17 Posts)

Jas has puked a few times over the last couple of days, and last night had diarrhoea. I gave him some rice and scrambled egg this morning, which promptly went straight through him. He then puked up a clear, pink fluid. Straight to the vet. She says he has no temperature, but is clearly poorly. She suspects an irritated GI tract, so we have some anti sickness meds and the probiotic paste stuff for the diarrhoea. She also recommended that he isn't exercised for a week. She wants to see him again if he gets worse, or his condition deteriorates. I can't feed him for 24 hours, and he ahs to have rice and egg or chicken for a few days. Is this standard treatment for sickness/diarrhoea? And do I really have to keep him in for a whole week? He'll hate that <sigh>

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 20-Jul-13 16:06:29

Hmmm starving for sickness and diarrhoea is now considered a little old hat. Giving anti emetics and then getting food in is now felt up be the fastest way to get gut back to normal. Probiotics are definitely a good Choice.

What do you think about the not exercising bit, Lonecat? I might sneak him some plain boiled rice later.

He's really not himself sad Very quiet and he didn't even look for his dinner or a walk. I took the puppy out, and he just stayed in his bed. Hope he picks up tomorrow <worried>

Floralnomad Sun 21-Jul-13 11:34:45

How is he today chickens ?

He's a bit brighter, Floral. Still not right, but a bit more waggy. He scoffed his rice and chicken for breakfast, and has kept that down. Still not interested in going out, though, which is very odd. We took the puppy out with us for a few hours this afternoon to give him some rest, and he's still sleeping even though we're home now. Hopefully he'll start picking up tomorrow.

Floralnomad Sun 21-Jul-13 15:08:14

Just to check are you sure he vomited the fluid up and didnt cough it up ?

It's hard to know, tbh. I came back after leaving them for an hour and found three small pools of clear, pink stuff. A bit gloopy, and definitely from the front end. At first I thought it might have been the pup because he's at the tooth losing stage, but nope. Then Jas started with the diarrhoea, and that seemed to clinch it. He is currently slapping the puppy on the head with his front paw, just to mess with him.

Floralnomad Sun 21-Jul-13 15:51:32

Obviously I'm not a vet but I do know that sometimes pink ,frothy sputum can be linked with heart problems like CCF in humans ,so it may be worth getting the vet to check along those lines if he doesn't improve . Sounds like he's on the mend though if he's messing with Stanley !

The vet did listen to his chest when I took him yesterday, so I'm assuming that was all clear. He has given up battering Stanley about the head and is now laying upside down on the sofa, snoring.

Lifewassupposedtobebetter Mon 22-Jul-13 12:25:45

How is your doggie today?

He is more or less back to himself, thanks smile Lots of charging around, barking at builders and shredding loo roll <frazzled>

I can trump your poorly dog chickens!! Mine has been too. Started being sick on Saturday and hardly moved from his bed for the next two days, just looked up occasionally and tried hard to get up if dh or I came into the room.

Took him to the vet in Monday, who kept him in as he was so lethargic. Plus, vet knows him well enough by now given his accident prone nature so couldn't rule out him not having eaten something he shouldn't have and it being stuck, so he did X-rays too. He vomited far more than had the runs which concerned him.

Eventually released with an anti sickness injection, a pile of medicines and either another insurance claim or large bill!!!

Blooming dogs!!

Vet did think he was a little too thin though, even having been poorly he's quite skinny for his breed and size (medium springer and 14 kg) so will have to up his food and think of calorie dense foods suitable for dogs?

How Jas now?

He's pretty much back to normal, thankfully. He's also on the slim side at 15.2kgs (he's 16 inches at the shoulder). I give him chicken and raw eggs to up his weight a bit. How's your chap?

He's ok now thanks, just got his head stuck in a cardboard box that I had put some liver in for him to figure out, charging round the garden like a loon with a box on his head.

He already gets 2/3 eggs a week so I think I will increase his food a bit more for the exercise he does.

Interestingly, our vet wasn't keen on cheese for dogs, too fatty apparently?

I give mine the odd sliver of cheese, but the gassy results can be rather ripe grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now