Walking in the heat

(21 Posts)

I'm getting my dog and the pup out in the morning on the school run for around 30 minutes, but it's just too bloody hot to stay out for too long. Jas will run himself into a heat induced coma if I let him, so I'm having to restrict games of fetch and do more training/find it games to keep him occupied. That said, both of them are sleeping for the majority of the day, only really waking up to eat, drink and toilet. Unfortunately for us, the pup has a burst of energy when it cools down a bit at around 10pm, but other than that I hardly know I've got them. I have been walking Jas again at around 8-9pm, but tonight it is so unbelievably warm I think we'll skip it. The tarmac on the drive is hot enough to scorch your feet. How are you all coping with the heat? <fans self with sofa cushion>

MadAboutHotChoc Wed 17-Jul-13 19:09:51

I walk the dog early in the morning - around 7am. Its too sticky in the evenings and pavements will be too hot after baking all day as well.

LtEveDallas Wed 17-Jul-13 19:15:54

I usually go at 7, 1230 and 1830 for about 45 mins each.

We are now going for a long one at 6am, 20 mins at 11am and if she wants, another long one at 2100. She's a black dog, and cannot cope well in the heat.

I doubt we will go tonight. She spent an hour running in and out of the sprinkler with DD earlier!

Twirlyhot Wed 17-Jul-13 19:19:34

Out of the house by 06:00.

Mamab33 Wed 17-Jul-13 19:20:38

Early run and sedate shorter walks for the rest of the day!

idirdog Wed 17-Jul-13 19:33:22

So I am a miserable person. I hate this weather smile.

I wake the dogs up at 5.30am for a fantastic walk. I must admit it is lovely out and about then but the dogs then are just awake. They don't seem to do siesta time at all. I give them their food after the walk and it is frozen so that keeps them busy for a while.

So the rest of the day is trying to keep them cool and quiet until an evening walk or training at 10.30ish.

I am knackeredsmile

idirdog Wed 17-Jul-13 19:34:56

I also have cool coats to keep the collies more comfortable. They are a great invention the dogs stay cool, so have lots of energy, so want to play even when it is 30 degrees confused

foolonthehill Wed 17-Jul-13 20:59:55

do they do cool coats for owners? I don't do heat...my brain, my body and my temper are melting.....

dog has had the shortest cut possible (think moleskin feel) so is much happier but I am stuck with lakeside walks as have many young DC and can't go out either early or late . poor dog

digerd Wed 17-Jul-13 21:22:22

I have a fluffy,thick coated but trimmed Lhasa Apso. She has a very short muzzle and they are susceptible to overheating.
In the last few days I have been taking her out at 6.30am in 17 degrees, but still muggy.

Afternoon walk is a no go and even tonight at 7pm she was gasping, panting with tongue hanging out. She doesn't do much walking, it's all sniffing and weeing and looking.
We were out only 15 minutes and back home she drank lots of fresh water but was still panting a lot.

Mine didn't go out last night, it didn't cool down until gone midnight. The pup seems to cope better in the heat than the spaniel, despite the pup being the one with the long, curly fur (How does that work?!). So pupster was charging laps around the garden at 10pm, too excited to concentrate on training and far too hyper to behave. I just had to wait for him to wind down, at which point he staggered into the kitchen and crashed out in his crate. The spaniel watched all of the excitement from under the kitchen table, utterly apathetic. This morning, they both had 40 minutes running around the field, sniffing and lolling in the long grass. I'll see what it's like later and decide on an evening walk depending on the temp.

Hercy Thu 18-Jul-13 10:33:40

We've cut back on walks at the moment (he used to get x3 45min - 1hr, now gets x2 20-30 mins) - got a black labrador with a seriously thick coat (that maults everywhere).

We tend to go to the woods in the morning and evening - it's shady and there's a river that runs all the way through it, so he can have a good swim. Also got a paddling pool in the garden and hose him off regularly.

cansleepanywhere Thu 18-Jul-13 10:48:14

I've been taking my black lab pup out very early doors, she either sleeps or lays under the trampoline in the garden for the rest of the day. She perks up once the kids have gone to bed but isn't up for walking...she'd rather play in the garden. I'm fine with that - far too hot for dogs and people. Never thought I'd say it but can't wait till it rains!

MadAboutHotChoc Thu 18-Jul-13 10:50:25

With pups, they don't really self regulate and can get silly about running around when its too warm.

Older dogs tend to be more sensible.

Floralnomad Thu 18-Jul-13 12:05:18

We are doing our usual early run about ,a drive in the car instead of the midday walk ( with the air conditioning on ) and then either another run in the evening when its cooler or playing ball in the garden . My dog is black but he loves the sun and spends much of the day baking in the conservatory or out in his pool eating ice cubes .

Mine is an elderly whippet/border collie so very lazy with a heavy black coat. She is really suffering outdoors, bless her so I have been dragging her out to the beach after the school run, for a bit of sea breeze in her fur.

She just sleeps on the cool bit at the foot of the stairs during the day.

OrmirianResurgam Thu 18-Jul-13 12:24:23

We usually walk along the canal so he can jump in for cool down. At the weekends we do long walks but I always try to plan routes with lots of shade and some streams.

digerd Thu 18-Jul-13 15:56:53

Went out at 6am this morning, but could tell it was fresher than it has been - and yeah- we have had a cooling breeze today and temps 28 instead of 32 and suffocating air. Still the sun is too hot this afternoon, so hoping it will be much fresher at 6-7pm.

My friend's Yorkie has come into season at 6 months - blamed on the hot weather!! She's tiny and so cute.

Whogivesashit Thu 18-Jul-13 21:06:30

Golden retriever: I run at 6am tomorrow so dog wil come with me. Nice and cool that time of morning. Then about half hour after I finish work about 1.30, then last walk about 9 at night.

Just took my spaniel out for a 15 minute lead walk. He is now panting heavily and drooling. I'm not doing that again.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 18-Jul-13 21:14:21

My springer is only getting one very early run each day at the moment. A couple of days he's had a drive to the woods with a river, or the beach. He has no self- regulation at all and will charge around full pelt as usual off lead. Doesn't seem to drink much either.

He has just had the sense to lie on the tiled floor rather than try to cuddle me on the sofa...

Itsnotahoover Thu 18-Jul-13 22:27:00

Mine ad 20 minutes this morning, a wander down the lane in the shade at lunch and we've just been out for an hour now that it's cooling down a bit. Although she's been tanking around with her mate on the field and now she's panting like she's about to expire, so maybe not such a good move!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now