Ive just done a very stupid thing. I had a look at my local rescue web page.

(49 Posts)
TrinityRhino Wed 10-Jul-13 11:04:55

someone tell me that I cant possibly adopt a boxer friend for my boxer baby

hes toilet trained, not young, boisterous, loves to play, good with older teens but only cause hes boisterous (my kids are used to Lolly who makes boisterous look like sleeping)

and in need of a home

MumnGran Wed 10-Jul-13 11:48:09

Make the call.
It could solve everything if it turns out he is unsuitable to live with other dogs/children/--people who have wonderful country homes made for romping in--
Or he may already have found a home.

If you call, visit and he ticks every box ........well every animal I have ever owned has dropped into my life because of fate! some things are just meant to be!!

MumnGran Wed 10-Jul-13 11:50:11

hmmmm what happened to strike through? confused
people who have wonderful country homes made for romping in

iseenodust Wed 10-Jul-13 11:51:56

He looks fab and it says good off the lead. Sensible is having no dog & no poo to deal with but this is puppy lurve.
<Dusty dog is 13 and still known as gorgeous puppy.>

TrinityRhino Wed 10-Jul-13 11:54:36

purplepillow is being sensible and told me to stop it and step away

Madondogs Wed 10-Jul-13 11:54:48

Two dogs are fab grin... Just saying wink

Two dogs is wonderful. Go along to the rescue and ask. If he's gone to someone else it wasn't meant to be. Did I mention that having more than one dog is wonderful, and completely addictive?

grin

Some things are just meant to be.

We most certainley were not looking for another dog, especially not a loopy staffy pup when LittleDog came to us as a short term foster dog, that was a year ago now grin

We most certainley were not looking for another dog when the lady at the rescue asked if we could take BoomerangDog back for a week or so. That was a few months ago now

Phone the rescue, he is adorable. And you will be giving him a lovely family home-and a doggy friend to play with.

TrinityRhino Wed 10-Jul-13 12:07:26

purple is right though
money is tight right now
its not a sensible thing to do
oh how I wish I could go to the rescue and see him though

mistlethrush Wed 10-Jul-13 12:08:09

Two dogs are good (although DH has said no to a second one sad). However, putting a sensible head on, have you worked out the extra costs Trin? Vets fees, worming, jabs, and food - probably more than Lolly eats!

Poledra Wed 10-Jul-13 12:14:02

Don't go to the rescue and see him! It'll only make it harder not to have him.

Sensible head on, Trin - you can't afford it, and you and the girls still have Lolly to love, so it's not like you have no doggy family members.

Sorry to be harsh.

MumnGran Wed 10-Jul-13 12:16:56

Offer to foster him grin grin grin]

TrinityRhino Wed 10-Jul-13 12:25:34

no no poledra, you are not being harsh
no I'm not going to go and see him
I meant if only it was a good time to rehome I would have so much fun going to meet him and finding out if we could help him

Bowlersarm Wed 10-Jul-13 12:30:59

Do it, do it, do it.

Two dogs are great.

Whilst you're doing all that faffing about with one dog, you may as well be doing it with two. You've got to go out walking, buy dog food, have doggy stuff for one. It's a waste if you don't do it for two!

On my to-do list is sorting out our dogs pet insurance, hypo allergenic food and meds. All in its probably over £150 a month. If its more than that I'm sending him down'pit to earn his keep.

Big dog costs can escalate really easily. I wouldn't do it right now.

Also, do you know anyone who would take in 2 dogs if you needed or wanted to go away? I don't!

MrsWolowitz Wed 10-Jul-13 12:50:46

Trin, get him!

TrinityRhino Wed 10-Jul-13 12:53:43

you've all got to stop it now
unless I suddenly come into money I'm not going to do it
purple is being sensible
she is right

and yes I do know who would have them if I ever had to go away...but it doesn't matter I'm being sensible

sad

mistlethrush Wed 10-Jul-13 12:57:17

Trin, its the sensible thing to do. A dog costs a lot - whilst Lolly is just one of the household expenditures now a second would be a significant cost on top of that.

If you were desperate for a second dog to play with Lolly, some rescues do look for fosterers and some are willing to pay all expenses including food.

MumnGran Wed 10-Jul-13 12:58:27

thing is, having another dog is a bit like having children in the first place ....if you wait until everything is right, then it will never come top of the agenda grin

Second dogs are like second babies, they just slot right in, and you always manage to afford what they need.

<< fails to confess she is a sucker for a sob story and has accumulated endless waifs & strays over the years which she couldn't afford, on paper >>

Soz, Trin, but I think being sensible has to win here sad

I would love another dog, and I'm a sucker for looking through rescue pages 'for my MiL who is looking' but there are two things stopping me.

1 - I don't have any spare cash, and as much as I try to budget, I didn't budget for my dog having 3 extra trips to the vets on top of the standard jabs etc. We have insurance but even paying the excess each time smarts.

2 - We currently have plenty of people who will look after our dog if we can't take him on holiday/to a wedding etc. They are all dog owners themselves though, and they wouldn't be able to look after 2 more. We also take our dog away a lot in our camper. Can't imagine trying to do this with two though.

It sounds like you're sorted for 2, but 1 could be an issue. I would love to be in the 'go for it!' camp, but if the only thing holding you back is money, unfortunately that's one you need to listen to sad.

do not offer to foster him "temporarily"

You will end up keeping him <glares at LittleDog and BoomerangDog>

Seriously, it is sensible to look at finances and work out if you can afford him or not sad
But he is lovely.

ChestyNut Wed 10-Jul-13 14:51:33

Oh how lovely....look at his beautiful big eyes!

He'd make a fab playmate.

Do it do it do it!

ChestyNut Wed 10-Jul-13 14:53:26

Cross post!

Oops sorry.

Ahem, yes it wouldn't be sensible at all.

Turniptwirl Wed 10-Jul-13 17:31:27

Doooooo it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now