I know less than nothing about dogs, but am I right in thinking that this is irresponsible?

(28 Posts)
ShowOfHands Mon 08-Jul-13 18:42:51

A friend from school has posted a 'hilarious' video of her dog and her child on Facebook. It's meant to illustrate how long suffering the poor thing is since they had their first child. It's fairly tame at first with the dog licking the child's face and the child licking back (bleurgh) and ends with the child smacking the dog round the head repeatedly while it sort of cowers, ears flat, in what to me looks like a frightened/threatened postion (again I know nowt about dogs).

The parents are filming this and laughing at the dog and hooting 'aaah, isn't she cute. Poor dog, not top dog anymore'.

The child is less than 18 months old and she is face to face with the dog, inches away and smacking it around the mouth and ears. Not stroking, properly clouting the dog who then runs away.

Now, this is wrong and dangerous yes? So, wtf do I say? Something? Nothing? So far the responses are 'awww hun, that's so cute'. Am I missing something? Do dog owners routinely let small children smack their pets and laugh at how cute it is? I suspect not.

Empress77 Fri 12-Jul-13 20:01:53

Crikey OP that is awful, those parents are mad! mad!
1.) to teach the child such cruelty is ok
2.) to risk the dog getting fed up and killing the child
3.) to teach the child that thats ok to do to dogs - in the way that hows the child going to know that this dog might tolerate it but chances are very high that the next dog will just bite back, and justifiably so.

That is such unbelieveable bad parenting. Its also illegal to treat an animal like that.
Some people are mad!

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 12-Jul-13 20:04:51

That is ridiculously stupid.

That poor dog sad

Also teaching the little that hitting dogs is ok could end very badly for her and a dog one day. This dog might sit there and take it until she grows out of it or it might bite her. A different dog might not tolerate it even the once.

Absolute fucking idiot parents.

3boys3dogshelp Mon 15-Jul-13 20:03:11

Yes that's it totally, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now