Puppy or rescue dog?

(4 Posts)
Missm1005 Mon 08-Jul-13 13:32:34

Hi, I am looking to get a dog, I have two little girls aged 3 an 5. I went to the dogs trust yesterday but there was no dog available for children under 8. I'm finding it really hard to get a rescue dog for young children. I would really like to rehome a dog but this isn't looking possible and it looks like I'm going to get a puppy instead. Has anyone managed to get a rescue dog with young children? I live in north Manchester. Thanks

mistlethrush Mon 08-Jul-13 13:44:20

Yes, there are lots of rescues that will home with young children, but are careful with the dogs that they might suggest.

Did you have specific ideas on size / type / temperament / how much you want to walk them etc?

LadyTurmoil Mon 08-Jul-13 13:50:14

do a good Google search and you will find rescues in your area or not too far away. Look for rescues that use a fostering system, the dogs will have been living with families and are more adjusted to normal everyday life than a dog that's been in kennels for a time. Many of the smaller rescues seem to be more flexible about placing dogs with families who have younger children. Here are some websites Even if they don't have a suitable dog at the time, get your name/details on their list, explain what lifestyle you have and they can contact you when and if they get a dog in that they think will suit your family.

LegoAcupuncture Mon 08-Jul-13 13:52:31

If you're looking to adopt rather than get a new puppy, look for dogs from foster homes rather than shelters as some dogs will be in a setting similar to your home.

We looked at getting a dog from a shelter but kept getting the same as you, no good with young children. We looked for a good few months.

Good luck in your search.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now