Rescue dog- what to buy and when?

(22 Posts)
EauRouge Tue 02-Jul-13 11:35:26

Hello, serial lurker here again with ridiculous PFD questions.

I've started making a list of things we need to get and filling in the rescue form. We won't be handing it in for another few weeks because we've got a few more jobs to do around the house (stairgate etc) before we're ready.

Here's my list of stuff we need, have I missed anything important or put on too much? It's like having a baby, I have no idea whether I'm over-doing it or not-

Collar and tag
Short lead (for walking near roads etc)
Flexi lead (we're getting a beagle so not letting it off the lead in the woods!)
Harness and car seatbelt attachment
Food and water bowls
Bed
Toys
Folding water bowl
Poo bags
Books (have seen Positive Dog Training for Idiots recommended and thinking of getting a breed-specific book too)

I'm not sure when to get all this stuff- I was thinking of getting the books now but do I need to get everything else before the rescue does a home check? But then I don't want to end up with a dog and no stuff. Mind you, there's a 24hr Tesco nearby that should have most of the things on the list. I think I'm confusing myself, I'm sure I did less preparation when the DDs were born grin

Frettchen Tue 02-Jul-13 13:06:26

Congrats on the new addition! I'm about to get my PSD after losing my PFD a few weeks ago, so am going through the same shopping lists as you are. I can't think of much you've missed.

I personally would go for a long line/recall lead rather than a flexi lead. I don't think there's anything terribly wrong with the flexi, and I think they're easier to handle than a long line, but they do mean there's a constant pulling back on the dog which is what pushes me to the long line. It's probably a breed/temperament/owner preference thing rather than a right or wrong choice.

Also, I'm going for a crate in the car rather than a harness, but so long as you're definitely getting something to secure the dog in the car then you're doing the right thing!

Have you started looking into dog training classes? These can get booked up pretty quickly, so is worth doing the research now and then booking as soon as you know when you'll have the dog. I found these much more useful than any dog/puppy books. Regardless of how you're managing training; it's always good to have a stash of treats in addition to your dog's food.

Similarly, have you thought about insurance?

There are a couple of optional things I don't know if you've considered or decided not to get - a crate or pen for the house, a clicker for training, etc.

As for when - I would say to buy everything after you've made contact with the rescue and have chosen your dog. I can't remember exactly how the time line goes; you pick the dog, they homecheck, and then dog comes home? If that's it, then I would probably err on the side of caution and do it before the homecheck. At least the basics; food, collar, lead, bed, poo bags; the toys can come later if it comes to it.

EauRouge Tue 02-Jul-13 13:28:54

Thanks for your help! Yes, I've been getting insurance quotes and budgeting for food, vet bills etc. I have some dog training places bookmarked but didn't realise they book up early, thanks for the tip.

From what I can tell on the rescue website, you send off your form, then they do a home check and then you can start looking for your dog.

tabulahrasa Tue 02-Jul-13 13:47:41

Things that your dog wears you need to wait till you've got a specific dog in mind...they need to fit, there's not much point in having a collar and harness if they're the wrong size.

EauRouge Tue 02-Jul-13 13:49:56

Very good point! I shall wait on those then. I expect there will be time in between meeting a dog and taking it home for us to get a collar etc.

mistlethrush Tue 02-Jul-13 13:58:14

If its a rescue you will get a collar to take it home in - even if you want to replace it later, that's fine. You can take your dog into PAH and fit a harness rather than guess - or perhaps get two different sizes the day before and take one back. You might find certain ones are better for the breed - so its worth doing a bit of research first.

Long line / extension lead - get some advice from the rescue on this - our previous dogs have all had extension leads, but now I've got a lurcher I've been recommended not to use them as their acceleration is too great and they tend to break things - either the extension lead or their necks if you've put it on the collar rather than a harness. Similarly, you'll find out from the rescue whether the dog is best walked in a harness, collar or headcollar.

Tags - yes you can get these done - but we never put the pet's name on ours - just our surname, numbers and the fact she's chipped.

HoneyDragon Tue 02-Jul-13 14:39:47

I can't think of anyone better to be getting their PFD. This is going to be one lucky rescue pooch smile

EauRouge Tue 02-Jul-13 14:45:37

Thanks, Mistle, there are several pet stores within a 10 min drive so plenty of choice.

Shucks, thank you HoneyDragon blush The pooch will be just as pampered as my fish!

Congratulations, and well done on being so thorough and prepared. You've already got a very good list. I would add a brush/hound mitt for grooming and a good quality, mild pet shampoo for sporadic baths. I'd add a clicker to the list of essentials.

Personally I regard those long flexi leads as the work of the devil and think no good can come of them. grin They can be absolutely lethal as the wind in mechanism doesn't always work, and sometimes it can work too well. I've personally witnessed several near misses and actual accidents where they've tripped people up, and there have even been incidents where people have had the tips of their fingers removed by them.

Training is the way to go - classes to have good loose lead walking and recall for off lead play and running about. A long training lead will help with this process. Have a look on the APDT website to find a good positive trainer near you.

Other top tips - make sure vets and dog warden phone numbers are in your mobile phone for emergencies. Also, preload your dog onto DogLost - if your dog does get lost you can have his details nationwide all over the internet in minutes - it's unbeatable.

mistlethrush Tue 02-Jul-13 15:48:49

Scuttle - I've used them for 3 dogs before mistlehound, and never had a single problem - and in fact got one for taking a rescue dog out for a walk when I was walking for the rescue so that, when there was no one near, she could get a bit more freedom. However, I've had rope burns from one used incompetently by a cockerspaniel owner who seemed to think that I should not be walking where her dog might tangle itself around me (on the path), and it was my fault that I got the rope burn, and mistlehound has been tripped up (full somersault) by one recently - admittedly the user is partially sighted... They can be good - but you need to make sure that you know how to use them properly, and train your dog to use them properly too.

EauRouge Tue 02-Jul-13 17:37:44

Thank you all so much for your help and lovely comments smile I've added a brush, shampoo and a clicker to the list. I think I'll have a chat with the rescue about whether to get a flexi or long line, I expect it depends on what the dog is used to.

I'm just lurking to see if there's anything I've missed as our rescue pup is coming on Saturday smile

EauRouge Tue 02-Jul-13 18:20:47

Ooh, how exciting! What are you getting?

She is coming from a rescue in Spain (background: we are in Germany, been looking for small, young female pup to go with our 7yo female terrier for ages, rescue is organised here but works with a shelter over there).

She's a border terrier cross, around 7 months old, was found on the streets when some boys were being cruel to her and a woman chased them off and brought her to the rescue.

We are very, very excited!

If you don't already have it, I'd get a basic dog first-aid kit too.

EauRouge Tue 02-Jul-13 18:37:41

Oh yes, I remember reading your threads. I bet you're excited! Hope all goes smoothly.

What would I need for a dog first aid kit? Bandages and saline?

Well, I have bandages (the ones that are self-sticking but not actually sticky, can't remember what they're called now) and plasters, some cream for scratches and cuts, also because our dog is prone to ripping her dew claws , I have that iodine cream which stops infections (got it from the vet but it's actually exactly the same one as I have for ds!), disinfectant spray...um I also have things like an insect-repellant spray which supposedly helps keep ticks away but I only use it when we're in the woods as it really really stinks!

The info we got about our rescue suggests having some (herbal) stuff for diarrhea and upset tummies, so I'm going to pop into the vet this week to get some of that.

I think that's it! Ours has built up over time, but I do remember the first time she ripped her dew claw I ended up putting one of ds's Mickey Mouse plasters on it until we got to the vet's!

I've just noticed that you already know you're getting a beagle - is it a beagle rescue or do you have your eye on a particular one already?

EauRouge Tue 02-Jul-13 20:55:40

Brilliant, thanks for the first aid tips. We're going to apply to a beagle rescue place.

Vibbe Wed 03-Jul-13 00:18:09

Do you know what kind of food she's currently getting? It might be nice to feed her what she's used to, just to avoid potential upset tummy in the first days.

Then you can gradually get her used to what you would prefer to feed her later.

And congrats!

mistlethrush Wed 03-Jul-13 09:06:03

You can get dog first aid kits on-line. I think the bandage things are called vetwrap. I've seen Slippery Elm recommended for stomachs - Dorwest Herbs seem to be a supplier for pet products - I can get a link if needed.

EauRouge Wed 03-Jul-13 09:09:04

Thanks again! I don't know what food she's on now but I've been warned about switching foods. I've been reading about BARF but I think to start with we'll just use whatever the dog's been eating at the rescue and then switch to Arden Grange or something (have been warned about the evils of Bakers etc wink ), and then see how it goes.

I'll have a look for the things you mentioned, mistle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now