Can anyone point me in the right direction of a muzzle please?

(21 Posts)
34DD Thu 04-Jul-13 23:07:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

34DD Thu 04-Jul-13 23:01:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeanutPatty Thu 04-Jul-13 21:28:31

Tobodlygo is right, Baskerville Ultra.

Lilcamper Tue 02-Jul-13 11:15:37

Always muzzling all dogs in public while you blissfully go about your business isn't going to work. Dogs can still attack when muzzled. They can't use their teeth but can still cause injuries.

jemstipp Tue 02-Jul-13 10:54:40

Whatever if I'm talking rubbish about being restricted now you can bet your ass won't be long before they are and rightly so when there are so many owners who can't handle them properly. Givemeaboost, best of luck and hope you get sorted one way or another :-)

toboldlygo Mon 01-Jul-13 19:28:26

Oh, and they are not a restricted breed in the UK and do not have to be muzzled by law. hmm They are however restricted in the Republic of Ireland.

toboldlygo Mon 01-Jul-13 19:21:46

The black Baskerville Ultra (as opposed to the normal beige coloured Baskerville) is conveniently staffie-shaped and available in baby blue to avoid the hard image thing - I'd say a size 3 for a small staffie, 4 for a biggun.

Alternatively give your measurements to somewhere like this and have a wire and leather one made, expensive but will last a lifetime.

givemeaboost Mon 01-Jul-13 13:06:16

The Baskerville ones im looking at are all sized 1-6... confused

Alwaysbloodyhungry Mon 01-Jul-13 13:06:12

It's something I would love to see happen that they bring in a law where all dogs in public should be muzzled and people adhere to it...I would quite happily muzzle my dog if I could get back the old days when I used to walk her for miles blissfully unaware of what was going to happen to us....twice! Sadly it's changed everything for us i only take her out very early in the morning.. and I find it really hard to not tar every staffy with the same brush now...

idirdog Mon 01-Jul-13 12:58:14

Circumference is roughly 1" below the eyes around his nose. Size 12 is one that is recommended for staffys but that is very general.

givemeaboost Mon 01-Jul-13 12:50:52

when they say nose circumference is that the widest point near the eyes? I think maybe that's where they've gone wrong, haven't measured properly.

idirdog Mon 01-Jul-13 12:32:22

Jemstipp is talking rubbish.

Staffi are not a dog on the dangerous dogs list and do not need to wear muzzles. IF they were it would be enforced by the Police and dog wardens.

It is a very sensible decision to muzzle the dog and one that would be fully supported by every sensible dog owner and member of the public.

Baskerville muzzles are the way to go here also sold at PAH etc

It is a shame that you can not afford to speak to a qualified behaviourist as this behaviour could be managed and changed with the correct advice. Where abouts are you? (to see if I know of a friendly behaviourist who could help out)

Staffis are great dogs when not abused by humans(!), they are one of the only dogs recommended by the Kennel Club that are good with children.

I agree that some Staffis have dubious training, and breeding but then tbh so do people smile

givemeaboost Mon 01-Jul-13 11:48:45

always- I know I agree(its not my dog!) after an occasion when I broke down so had to take my kids into his house whilst I waited for aa, his brother didn't realise we were there and let the dog downstairs, we didn't realise the dog was downstairs when the AA arrived, cue kids running downstairs into the living room where the dog was, dog then lunged at my youngest dc shock whilst us 3 adults lunged at the dog and grabbed him. he made tiny bruises but I shudder to think what could have happened if we had not all jumped on the dog.

they do not help his behavious at all-he gets daily food treats, sleeps in bfs brothers bed(!), gets a lot of petty/stroking. he cannot be around kids, dogs, cats, livestock, and we cannot cuddle or kiss when hes there as he starts grabbing my legs with his paws and "mouthing" me.

jemstipp Mon 01-Jul-13 11:38:19

As I said..................flak

Alwaysbloodyhungry Mon 01-Jul-13 11:36:47

hopes you don't live near me and bump into me whilst walking my dog..she,s already been ripped apart on 2 separate occasions by a staffy...why would anybody want to have one as a pet?! They don't even look nice...shudders...

jemstipp Mon 01-Jul-13 11:34:24

Nobody really does enforce but members of the public can make a complaint to local councils who may investigate. You are obviously worried about this animal turning on someone and it seems likely that it will happen as it sounds like he is stressed out which is bad combination with an already anxious dog. He probably doesn't understand why you BF dad has gone and that's what's winding him up. Have you spoken to your BF about maybe taking him back to the rescue place or even contacting them with regards to potentially helping re-train him, worth a try as some are only too happy to keep the dog from being destroyed but they may in the end recommend that it may be the best for all involved.

givemeaboost Mon 01-Jul-13 11:28:45

Well hes not mine. hes my bfs families dog and they have had him since rescued 6yrs ago. hes always been aggressive but has got worse since my bfs dad died two yrs ago. he was trying to attack the dog next door through the fence, bf pulled him away by and he sank hes teeth into bfs arm :-s they cannot have anyone in the house, they have to walk him late at night otherwise hes sees other dogs and goes ballistic. I have tried to get them to see a professional but the cost is the barrier. obedience classes wouldn't work as he cannot be around other dogs.

I personally would like to see the dog put down, but at the very least I want to see them muzzle him when out, but they have struggled to find one in pets at home etc that actually fits.

is it law he should be muzzling him already? who enforces that?

tabulahrasa Mon 01-Jul-13 11:23:05

Baskerville ultra muzzle...

Staffies aren't a restricted breed and if dogs are aggressive they'll be required to wear a muzzle to attend classes.

jemstipp Mon 01-Jul-13 11:09:07

He's a restricted breed anyway in the UK and Ireland anyway so has to be walked legally with a muzzle and the stereotype of the the breed and the association of the muzzle doesn't help. Def take him to obedience classes and have him behaving like an angel and there can be no reason for anyone to start.

jemstipp Mon 01-Jul-13 11:05:45

You are probably going to get flak to the effect of if he's aggressive you know what you should do............ Muzzles are great at making people cross the road to avoid you and give you looks. Have you tried taking him to any obedience classes?

givemeaboost Mon 01-Jul-13 11:03:03

Hi, can anyone recommend/know somewhere to get a good quality muzzle for a staffie? he's very aggressive and strong so ideally one that cannot come off- one that fastens to his halter/or to a collar. Having a right headache trying to find one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now