My poor dog is very very ill (long and emotional, sorry!)

(42 Posts)
TakingTheStairs Sun 30-Jun-13 09:00:07

Can I please have some hand holding?
He was stung by a bee in the park yesterday evening. He seemed okay for a minute and then he started vomiting. I knew something was terribly wrong when his snout was covered in vomit and bile and he wasn't trying to clean it off. Then he put his head down, his front legs folded and his back legs folded and I couldn't get him up. He was unresponsive. He had gone into anaphylactic shock.

I managed to carry him about halfway across the park but he was dead weight (he's about 23kg, i'm pregnant and have a bad back) I was crying and asked a man sunbathing nearby for help and he turned his back to me and ignored me. I asked him a couple of times and he still ignored me.
At this point a teenage girl ran over to see if she could help. She stayed with him while I ran home to get my car and mobile (the one bloody time I didn't have my phone!). Thankfully I live only minutes away from where we were. When I got back to the park the girls family (who had all been in the park together) were standing around him. They said he was still alive but foaming at the mouth. Her brother very kindly carried Ash to my car, he was so slack I had to support his head.

I got him to the emergency vet within about 20/25 mins from when he had been stung. I really thought he was going to die but he seemed to be responding well to treatment. By the time I left him in the vet last night he was sitting up by himself.
They've kept him overnight as he was dehydrated and had hemorrhagic diarrhoea, and his liver enzymes were too high.
I called the vet for an update about 10pm and they said he was doing well. Breathing had settled and he was calm.
The update from the night shift vet this morning was that he had been quite uncomfortable overnight and they had to give him painkillers. He still has bloody diarrhoea and so is still on a drip. I'll get another update in a couple of hours but he's very ill.
Please cross your fingers for him.

Doodledumdums Fri 05-Jul-13 00:28:16

To be honest, you don't even really need to be sweetness and light, but I think the least you can expect from a stranger when you are in obvious need is for them just to not be a total arsehole! It is just common decency!

TakingTheStairs Thu 04-Jul-13 22:52:24

That's awful Doodle! So glad you got your dog back.

I know not everyone is sweetness and light but its beyond me how someone could tell you to fuck off in that situation sad

Doodledumdums Thu 04-Jul-13 20:35:14

Whaaaaat?!! No way! What a complete arseholw!

This is no where near as bad as what happened to you, but a few years ago I lost my dog in a big park. My partner and I had been looking for him for two hours and I was getting pretty hysterical and it was getting pretty late. I was asking people if they had seen him, and of course most people were lovely and said they'd keep an eye out etc, but then I asked this one couple (I was in tears by this point!), the woman just said 'Fuck off!' I was massively taken aback and just said 'Sorry, I just thought you might have seen him,' and she just said 'I said fuck off!' To his credit, her partner did then say 'Sorry babe.' I was just so cross! How can people be so rude to people who are in such obvious distress?! (We did find our dog the next morning, it turns out that someone had taken him back to their house overnight and kept him until they could contact the vet the next morning to see if they knew who he belonged to...funny thing was that I worked at the vets he called, so they knew exactly who he belonged to!)

TakingTheStairs Thu 04-Jul-13 19:08:53

UPDATE
Just saw the guy in the park that wouldn't help me on Saturday when Ash collapsed Asked him politely why he wouldn't help. Was he nervous of dogs? He said he didn't have time. I said that was absolutely fair but why didn't he say that on Saturday instead of ignoring a crying pregnant woman and pretending he couldn't hear me. So he told me to stop pestering him with my questions he didnt have to answer them

I said no problem,I had been thinking about it and was wondering what his thinking was and now I knew it was just as I thought. He was a grade A asshole. And I hoped karma came back to bite him in the ass.
He said "yeah well I hope it comes back to you too" I said me too. I hope that if I collapsed someone would help me and not ignore the situation the way he had.

What a dick.

TakingTheStairs Mon 01-Jul-13 21:30:05

Thanks Jax, and I know it sounds a bit odd but I am genuinely glad to have been able to help if you or anyone has the same thing happen to their dog
xx

JaxTellerIsAllMine Mon 01-Jul-13 21:03:49

That must be a relief for you to have a 'just in case' - hopefully dog wont be stung again though.

I know what you went through must have been awful, but it has highlighted (highlit?!) that we need to be careful with animals and stingy things. And also taught me what to do if my dog gets stung.

For that I say Thanks. flowers non toxic of course and another hairy hug for your hairy baby.

TakingTheStairs Mon 01-Jul-13 19:49:05

Hi,

Just back from the vet. Vet thinks his reaction was bad enough to warrant an epi pen for future in case he's on a walk an hour from the nearest vet when it happens next.
He's on piriton until the epi pen arrives.

TakingTheStairs Mon 01-Jul-13 16:31:40

Thanks Jax.

So I'm taking my dog back to the vet this evening. He is alert and more like himself but there are a few things that aren't right still. His eyelids are still very pale, as are his gums. He's not drinking much water. I've been watching him and he's had about 400ml today and 150ml of that was mixed into his food to try and sneakily get some fluids into him. And his latest poo had blood in it.
He is eating so that's good but I'm still worried. Poor lamb sad

JaxTellerIsAllMine Mon 01-Jul-13 09:20:50

thanks for update - we always have piriton syrup for the kids and lots of antihistamines around for allergies (Im allergic to horse fly bite) so will remember if my daft hairy baby gets stung.

Sending your dog lots of cuddles.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 30-Jun-13 17:57:03

Anaphylaxis causing cardiac arrest is very rare in dogs hence epipens are rarely prescribed and antihistamines are the most common drug used for allergic reactions. Occasionally we use steroids too.

TakingTheStairs Sun 30-Jun-13 12:21:14

Thank you everyone
casanunda give your two hairy hounds a cuddle back from me smile
jax apparently it's very rare for a dog to have anaphylaxis but it looks like if it occurs again it it will be worse next time sad If your dog gets stung once he should be okay. It's the second time that its dangerous. Apparently the body decides that it's poison the first time and so it's on the second occasion that it rejects it. But I promise to update you when I speak to the vet
I have been told by the emergency vet that piriton (for humans) is perfectly safe for the dog to take everyday. The 4mg tablets are fine once a day and at 23kg, my dog (and therefore your 40kg dog too) should be okay to have two a day but they may make him sleepy.

In fairness to mr nasty in the park, I'm only 4.5 months pregnant so not that obvious but to ignore anyone that is crying and pleading for help is fairly awful.

I can't believe that bloke deliberately ignored you. What a wanker. Glad to hear your boy is home x

Doodledumdums Sun 30-Jun-13 11:52:26

So so so glad your poor boy is okay. What an awful fright for you. I had no idea that dogs could have allergic reactions like that. That man at the park sounds evil, who would ignore a situation like that, bloody awful.

What a mean and nasty man to turn his back on a pregnant lady in distress. That is just awful.
So glad your dog is home, hope hd is back to his usual self soon

JaxTellerIsAllMine Sun 30-Jun-13 11:38:29

I am so pleased your dog is home. When I was reading this I was wondering what the vets could do for future walks.

If you do get some answers/meds will you post it, because my dog is always chasing bees in the garden and I am now terrified he gets stung. And at just under 40KG there is no way I can carry him.

Shame on the man who turned his back and didnt help you! SHAME ON HIM! angry

Floral if if is the same as in people then the op's vet has said similar to ds's consultant. Ds is allergic to eggs and his reaction was not unlike the dogs - instant to to toe hives, Mouth and face swollen quickly followed by 6ft of vomit and the runs. All happened within 10 minutes by which he was grey, floppy and unresponsive. He was 10 months old at the time sadThey class this as a moderate reactionand only issue epipens in our area for a severe reaction which is if the patient actually stops breathing at any time. Maybe the situation is the same with dogs? Maybe epipens can do more harm than good if used at wrong time? I don't know really but it is a scary thing. Glad your dog is on the mend.

Casanunda Sun 30-Jun-13 11:33:30

I'm so pleased he's home again! That must have absolutely terrifying for you, and how bloody awful of that man not to help...angry Continued best wishes for his recovery from me and my two hairy hounds flowers

Floralnomad Sun 30-Jun-13 11:31:34

X post there !

Floralnomad Sun 30-Jun-13 11:31:12

lem I'm allergic to all manner of things so I am aware how allergies work but if her dog has an anaphylactic reaction he will need adrenaline as that is the first line treatment for anaphylaxis . Next time she may not be somewhere where she can reach a vet in 20 minutes .

TakingTheStairs Sun 30-Jun-13 11:30:55

floralnomad I'm off the same thinking tbh. I am def going to discuss it with my regular vets tomorrow. What if it happens again but this time he's out with his walker miles from a vet?
So glad to have him home, even if he does still smell of vomit wink

Thank you all for your good wishes. It has been the most scary traumatic 18 hours. And god help that man that wouldn't help if I see him in the park again. I will have no problem with walking straight up to him and asking him why he wouldn't help.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 30-Jun-13 11:27:00

Floral, i think what the OP said about the adrenaline is pretty accurate. I had an allergic reaction once where an ambulance had to be called. my eyes swelled, as did my lips (i must have looked like a fish!) and my hands were cherry red (weird). I wasn't having breathing difficulties but they treated me by IV antihistamines.

PseudoBadger Sun 30-Jun-13 11:26:25

Poor dog sad what a horrid man at the park xxx

Onetwo34 Sun 30-Jun-13 11:25:22

What a scary time, so pleased he is ok.

LEMisdisappointed Sun 30-Jun-13 11:24:44

Oh how terrifying for you sad i had tears in my eyes reading that and am so so pleased to read that he is home.

angry about the man that wouldn't help you - bastard

Floralnomad Sun 30-Jun-13 11:19:09

I would have thought ( but I'm not a vet ,perhaps one will be along soon) that you need the same as they would give to a human with a nut allergy for example . They'd hardly tell them to take anti histamines!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now