Any advice on how to ensure a 5 yr old dog will get along with a new kitten?

(4 Posts)
Cherryberries Mon 17-Jun-13 17:01:32

I have rescued a 6 wk old kitten from the side of a dual carriageway and we have decided to keep the little scrap.My retriever/collie cross seems ok with her,wags her tail,is a little afraid of herhmm but wont leave the kittens food alone.Keeps wanting to eat it,even the boring dry stuff.I am keeping them separate at nightime at the moment as its early days but are there certain things I should be doing/not doing to ensure both get along well and become good pals?

tabulahrasa Mon 17-Jun-13 17:26:25

IME experience slightly afraid is how cats prefer dogs, lol.

If the kitten isn't trying to kill the dog and the dog isn't trying to kill or chase the kitten, they should be fine. I've never managed to stop a dog eating cat food if I'm not actually there... I put cat food where the dog can't get to it.

digerd Mon 17-Jun-13 21:54:39

They should be fine. My FIL's St Bernard and cat slept together at night and were best of friends. So kitten gets his proper diet, feed him in another room and don't let dog get at it smile

Cherryberries Tue 18-Jun-13 01:00:31

Thanks both of you-good advice and I will move the cats food actually.I thought it was simply a matter of persevering with the dog and eventually she would leave the catfood alone- looks like there is no point even attempting this .Thankssmile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now