Smelly shihtzu

(13 Posts)
Cuckoomama Mon 17-Jun-13 16:51:26

I thought I'd settled on buying a shihtzu pup purely as company when my OH at work. I've even visited a litter this weekend. Now I've been told that this particular breed can have a really bad odour problem. Don't get me wrong I know all dogs can get smelly, but reading some stuff online it's become apparent that this can be a real problem. Some people say they have to bath the dog every day or even 24 hours after bathing them the smell back. Does anyone have any experience of this?

multitask Mon 17-Jun-13 17:01:05

I've groomed hundreds of Shih Tzus over my 30 years of being a dog groomer and I always found them to be one of the less smelly breeds. Yorkies are much worse as a comparison. Poorly bred ones with very squashed faces with multiple skin folds can have smellier faces but certainly not all of them. Perhaps this is the smelly part referred to.

GROOVEYCHICK Tue 18-Jun-13 09:32:02

My dad has one and hardly any smell not like my honky retriever lol

BeauNidle Tue 18-Jun-13 12:26:33

Had to laugh at your thread title

serin Tue 18-Jun-13 19:14:12

We have a Lhasa Apso, (similair to Shitzu) he doesn't shed his coat and he smells gorgeous.

Think hobnobs.

Cuckoomama Tue 18-Jun-13 22:27:50

Now I'm thinking Bichon Frise, any thoughts ladies? I'm home alone all day so he would be company for me.

<sniffer>

GAA! I meant SNOGGER!

SNIGGER

milkybarsrus Wed 19-Jun-13 11:25:45

I have a shihtzu ( 5 months old) and he is gorgeous! We are totally in love with him and maybe that means we don't smell him??? But,honestly I think they are great dogs and mine doesn't smell. All my relatives have dogs and they smell and shed hair ,but not my little Alfie. Just off to cuddle him now.........

justpoppy Wed 19-Jun-13 20:05:15

My shih tzu is 10 this year. I've never had a problem with her being smelly. She's groomed every 12 weeks and sometimes bathed in between if muddy. I lost my boy shih tzu last year unfortunately but never had a problem with him being whiffy either.

FragileTitanium Thu 20-Jun-13 11:47:43

I have a bichon/shih tzu cross. Perfect little companion, comes everywhere -cafes, shops, etc. Rides very happily in my bike basket and doesn't smell at all. I bathe her once a week only because she rolls in mud quite often (she's still only a baby) and she's lovely. She's an extremely well behaved doggy (touch wood) and is obedient and gentle with children. Only little poos to pick up and tiny wees (save your lawn). Her only goals in life are to eat and get cuddles. The only down side is that they are quite needy and really crave human company - you couldn't really leave one alone for more than around 3 hours or so and that's when htey're adults.

digerd Thu 20-Jun-13 19:50:12

They are only smelly if wee and poo is left stuck to their luxurious coat.
Bottoms should be trimmed clear of hair, and for males the tummy hair, and females the inside of their back legs should be cleaned daily.
Shitzu and Lhasa Apsos are gorgeous dogs - the latter I have had 2 females and both very easy going, well-behaved and non-aggressive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now