We are going to get a dog...

(77 Posts)

I've put it off for years, but youngest DC is 3 and loves dogs.
My mum has puppies, we are going to have one. This isn't spur of moment, my mum has had three litters from three dogs over last 6 years and we have always resisted.

It's a boy cocker, black, white bib and two white back paws. He's five weeks old.

DS has called him Scruff.

So exciting. But I think I am barking (ahem no pun intended) mad. I'm a clutter free clean freak...... How will I cope?

What is essential reading? I'm not a spoil your dog type, this dog comes from working stock and will be visiting his relatives often.

Floralnomad Thu 27-Jun-13 15:50:26

I did say that I didn't think she was doing the wrong thing ,good for her and all others like her . My dog is happy and secure ,he is also very well adjusted and probably not as bad as Jas and others on here , however from her thread it looks apparent that the husky owners comments have incited her to deal with her issues ,what I'm saying is that I would have ignored husky owner. I don't think that makes me a bad dog owner ,but TBH I don't care what people think because I know that my dog is happy , well behaved and adored. My dog does not have emotional issues thank you .

Booboostoo Thu 27-Jun-13 16:25:09

Floralnomad I don't disagree with any thing you wrote in your last two posts.

In terms of 'problems', one person's problem can be another person's virtue. For example, a dog may need far too much walking for a parent dealing with a newborn and a toddler, while perfect for someone who spends hours rambling around the countryside. Problems are subjective as they are relative to the circumstances people live in and what they are willing to put up with.

If a dog does have a problem there are a limited number of responses to it:
- avoid it altogether: if your dog chases cats, you can keep him on the lead around all cats.
- you can decide it is not a problem and put up with it: if your dog chews the skirting boards you can decide to live with ruined skirting boards.
- you can train an incompatible behaviour: if your dog jumps up on people you can train a good sit/stay.
- you can rehome the dog to someone who will do one of the above or you can PTS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now