Agility

(10 Posts)
GobHoblin Mon 08-Jul-13 13:51:13

Just a little update if anyones interested! Had our 1st proper session last week and she loves it!! She whizzed over the jumps so fast she was waiting for me at the other end, most embaressing with me puffing along after her blush Can't wait for tomorrow night! She didnt stop to blink at the tunnel or tyre, and even gave the weave a good go.
I'm definately rubbish at the treats bit though, either drop them or stick them up her nose!

saintmerryweather Sat 15-Jun-13 22:57:17

practice your weave evenly on both sides too, my dog races through going one way but stops, looks at me and barks going the other!

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 14-Jun-13 12:38:46

Oh forgot start walk dog on both sides so it is used to working on both the left and right.
We all have days where all goes wrong. I train with someone who competes many dogs at a very high level and every so often even his very best dog just says no thanks Dad not today. And then there are the days when the devil gets in them.

saintmerryweather Fri 14-Jun-13 12:32:49

yes to sense of humour, my dog will be get bored halfway through class and shoot off. in his only show he made the judge laugh so much she gave him a special prize. i didnt find his antics quite so funny!

teaching a 'go on' command is very useful

HotPanda Fri 14-Jun-13 11:59:42

We bought a pouch for agility, but have been told to take a pot with a clear lid. This so for next week though, so far we have only been doing one obstacle at a time, so get the treats out first and hold them before starting.

It is great fun, and everyone in our class is really supportive of each others dogs.
Also, take a non squeaky toy in case they get testy whilst waiting their turn.

GobHoblin Fri 14-Jun-13 09:03:03

Thankyou all, duly noted! I definately need a pouch as i am the clumsiest treat whipper outter in the world, everyone else always seems to do it so effortlessly!

topbannana Thu 13-Jun-13 23:30:38

Properly fitting trainers.
Dubious as it looks, a bumbag or treat pouch as treats will bounce out your pockets.
Flat collar and clip lead- no slip leads.
Sense of humour grin

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 13-Jun-13 22:44:55

Lots of really yummy high value treats.

saintmerryweather Thu 13-Jun-13 22:17:10

take it nice and slow, be patient and practice lots. clicker training helps

GobHoblin Thu 13-Jun-13 22:14:33

I've signed up for an 8 wk agility course for my 16 mth Lab/Collie! Eek, i'm so excited and nervous at the same time!! Anything i should know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now