Are you a Greyhound, Whippet or Lurcher owner? Come and have a seat on another new Pointy Hounds cushion!

(987 Posts)
TheCunnyFunt Thu 13-Jun-13 10:18:28

Pointy hounds include-
Greyhounds (Grunds)
Whippets (Whippys)
Lurchers
Italian Greyhounds (Iggys)
Salukis
Afghans
And any others I have forgotten. If you are a new pointy hound owner, an old and experienced owner or looking into getting one of these fabulous creatures, come and have a seat (that's not taken up with a hound grin).

Share stories, advice and shopping tips!
AK Creations
Dog O Nine Tails
Doggy Bags Bakery
Kitsch Collars
Meggie Moo
Milgi Coats
Silver Peacock

Come The Day
Come the day I take that final bend,
Can I count on you to be my friend?
To see I’m treated just and fair,
It means so much to know you care.

For, what the future holds in store,
Now that I can race no more,
Should be addressed for every hound,
Who parts the punter from his pound.

Tell them I don’t ask for much,
A kindly word, a gentle touch,
Somewhere warm to lay my head,
A meal each day to keep me fed,
Not just life- but quality,
This is how it ought to be.

Do not see me swept away,
I long to live another day,
With peace of mind, tranquillity,
And those who care surrounding me,
So tell them all- you have that choice,
I beg of you to be my voice.

By Denise Dubarbier.

mistlethrush Sat 27-Jul-13 12:30:53

i'm not going to be able to get to the show this afternoon (starts in a minute) as DH has decided that MiL shouldn't be left alone that long. He's spent probably 1.5hrs in the loo since he got back from karate with DS. I suppose he's still 'in' the house though - not that she would be able to get his attention let alone him hear her if there was a problem. sadangryconfused

I'm just catching up, ad enjoying all this collar talk! smile

ShyDog is doing okay. She went for a check up Friday afternoon, and is more alert now but still seems sore. I've left her cone off unless we've gone out, and put her in a large Tshirt, tightened around her skinny tummy at the back with an elastic band. Seems to be working well and cost me zero.

My child minder has a lurcher pup, I think he's crossed with a bedlington terrier, he's lovely. A little mischevious grin but good with her mindees, and they have all been taught how to behave around dogs too.

Before having my greyhound I grew up with Labradors and Spaniels, and then I had a crazy collie for a bit. My lovely ShyDog (greyhound) is SOOO mellow compared to them. Her and DS give each other space and she is the perfect fit for our little family. smile

Peanut is much more manic than Nelly ever was but then he is only 2 and she was 4 when I got her. He's still lazy and sleeps a lot but does get wound up by the children easily.

Had a lovely walk this morning, he really enjoys his walks which is great! He knows the word now and gets so excited. It sounds like such a simple thing but he was just walking and not enjoying it at all at the start and Nelly wasn't keen on walks so its lovely to enjoy it together. Ds2 came with me this morning and we chatted and played with peanut and enjoyed the forest smile

Sorry you didn't make it to your show mistlethrush sad

I'm also loving the collar talk, I've liked that fb page and will go and look when I get a second smile

mistlethrush Sun 28-Jul-13 18:29:49

I might just have to get that black and gold one that I saw on that page wink

Well I have been out twice today. I went and read a book for a bit then went and got the coffee and tea before DH and DS arrived - came out just at the right time. Then DH and DS took mistlehound a little further to somewhere where she could go in the lake as she'd managed to get filthy some how.

This afternoon I have been with the family to a local RHS place, had tea, and managed to get around a bit of the garden - hugely less than normal - but quite a bit for my recent history! So I'm getting back into the swing of things...

TheCunnyFunt Mon 29-Jul-13 19:33:51

I'm pleased shydog is doing okay YourHand, does she pull off her new t shirt look like a pro? grin

Glad you managed to get out mistle, how is it feeling now? Must be very frustrating, not being able to do all the things that you're used to.

Cinnamon it's lovely that Peanut realises what a walk is for, sounds like he's really getting the hang of being a pet smile

Well I have lots of news, we went to that show on Saturday, Sprocket came 4th in The Dog The Judge Would Most Like to Take Home, and he and DD came 1st in the child handler class grin I was so proud smile
Also, the rescue (LGT) I got Sprocket from has a Facebook chat page and I'm on it, the chair of the rescue posted on the page the other day saying that members of the LGT page have been invited up to Scotland to visit Questhouse Kennels, where they breed racing Greys, the visit is 15th September, and there's a litter due next week so we'll all get to meet Greyhounds, AND PUPPIES!!!! I put my name down straight away grin
I'm also looking to be a P.A.T volunteer.

Even in a baggy, paint splattered T-shirt, she still pulls off the "skinny supermodel of the dog world" look. grin I think she quite likes it as she hasn't tried to remove it at all.

Well done to Sprocket and to your DD too Cunny! smile

cinnamon, shy girl started off really nervous on walks but absolutely loves them now. Thankfully she has zero prey drive, and fab recall so we have lovely walks with her off lead on a nearby meadow. We are both missing watching her run up to us (she's still on lead for a bit longer after her op).

Mistle glad you are feeling a bit more on the mend. Must be tempting but don't do too much too soon [mother hen emotion].

That sounds lovely TheCunnyFunt! My neighbour is a PAT volunteer with her dog (not sure what he is but I'm sure he has border collie in him). Well done to your dd, that must have been so lovely!

Peanut has discovered balls!! We've had so much fun today with a squeaky ball. He's so worn out though! We ran 4.5miles this morning and he's had 3 massive sessions of chasing things around with me too. He even seems to have learned 'drop it' and waits for me to throw. He took one of my minded little girls comforters today and I was really nervous getting it back but I swapped it for something else, gave him loads of praise and although he then dropped what I'd given him and ran after me he didn't take it again.

X-post YourHandInMyHand glad Shy girl is on the mend. I said to dh tonight I might take peanut somewhere and try letting him off but he thinks its too soon.

Glad to here you're getting back to normal too mistlethrush!

mistlethrush Mon 29-Jul-13 21:36:20

I think I might have overdone it a bit yesterday - or perhaps today as my whole leg aches... and the other one a bit too sad But I've got some physio booked for 9am tomorrow - we'll see what happens.....

Cunny - I looked at the PAT requirements when someone on the forum said they were going in for their test... I was going down the list ticking all the boxes until it came to the licking one - mistlehound is a significant licker and its just part of the dog she is (I was also groomed earlier as I checked a foot that was itchy - I think she went through some nettles). Apart from that one issue, mistlehound would be great.... She loves everyone and thinks everyone would like to say hello.

mistlethrush Wed 31-Jul-13 12:12:45

Mistlehound has been grooming me when I've been going over her for grass seeds... nibbled knuckles.

cinnamon just practice her recall training as much as possible at home and in the garden. Do you have a nearby area that's big but fenced in to test peanut out on? My girl is very shy and has no prey drive whatsoever so I kind of knew she'd be okay off lead. She likes to stop and sniff, and then run very fast and smugly to catch us up. If she's very pleased with herself she'll run a couple of zoomie laps around us. grin

Off to petshop in a bit, ShyGirl has hideous dandruff so gonna go get a fine tooth comb to go with her zoom groom.

There's nowhere I can think that's fenced. I've been practising in the garden and while he's on the lead when out and he's pretty good. We never let Nelly off as she was so scared of people she'd run away from me if there was someone near to me.

Peanut got shampoo from the vet for what they called scurf he has no more flakes at all after a couple of baths smile

mistlethrush Wed 31-Jul-13 14:20:26

Cinnamon - can you get to a tennis court or two? We went in the evening and let mistlehound off in a double tennis court which worked really well.

That's an idea will have a think, there's one in our local park but there may be a double one somewhere. THanks mistlethrush, how was your physio?

mistlethrush Wed 31-Jul-13 16:45:32

even a single one is better than nothing... particularly if you have a frisbee. you might need to go late in the evening though!

Physio HURT!!!!! I was actually squeeling in pain at some of the work he was doing on my calf - and its still sore today - however, the swelling in my foot has gone down incredibly - whether it's the support bandage he gave me, the exercises he gave me (and which I'm doing) or the massage I don't know - but I'm going back. He's also got me to order a boot thing that will help keep my ankle not overbending when I'm walking - which hopefully will make walking easier so I can do more - and exercise my muscles in that leg in particular!

PeanutPatty Wed 31-Jul-13 18:25:49

Evening all! Reading and running. Literally. So sorry for it being short and sweet. Any recommendations on beds? Currently the mutt is on a crate blanket which is way past its best. TIA! grin

mistlethrush Wed 31-Jul-13 18:57:01

We have a double duvet in a lovely fleece cover - and for the summer a smaller cover with just a 1/4 of a duvet in... from this maker here

Don't know what happened to my reply mistlethrush, glad to hear it was positive even if it was painful!

I also use a duvet folded with a regular duvet cover for a bed.

TheCunnyFunt Wed 31-Jul-13 23:02:42

Yep, Sprocket just uses a double duvet folded into quarters. I bought a couple of duvet covers from charity shops. I like the look of those fleece covers though, I might invest in one soon.

Mistle I'm sorry to hear that physio hurt, but also at the same time I'm pleased to hear that your swelling has gone down a bit. I hope you recover soon.

Cinnamon I keep a treat pouch on me at all times and I treat Sprocket with a bit of liver cake whenever he comes to me, whether I've called him or not. This is a very effective way of training him without him realising wink (his eyes tend to glaze over when I'm obviously trying to train him. Hence why it took me approximately a year to teach him a decent 'stay' grin). As well as being a sneaky way to train, pretty soon the hound in question twigs that being with you is a great place to be!

MagratGarlik Wed 31-Jul-13 23:47:48

We tried folded duvets, but the dogs destroyed them. We had bits of duvet all over the hall. They have some very sturdy dog beds now.

Mistle, hope you recover soon. I'm still getting over my broken leg (well, ankle) from earlier this year. No physio offered. (It also made me put on a ton of weight as I had several weeks in a cast, sat on the sofa stuffing my face).

Just posted to hopefully order a fleece cover, let me boys chose which one smile

He is permanently attached to me anyway TheCunnyFunt!! I very rarely get up without him following me so that's a good start I guess. Will have a look into buyin liver cake, where do you get yours?

Our neighbour works on an American air base near us and came over yesterday with loads of treats for peanut that were going to be thrown away! He said it was a huge pallet that they told them to help themselves to as much as thy wanted and what was left would be chucked the next day. It's all in date until July 14 so no idea why they throw it away, better to donate to a rescue or something?!?

Poor peanut had a red lump under his front leg yesterday, on closer inspection he had a tick right in his arm pit. Tick removed and although the skin is still red its not swollen anymore. Must have really irritated him rubbing under there sad

mistlethrush Thu 01-Aug-13 08:11:46

The fleece covers help tremendously - mistlehound has had a good dig in hers and still ended up with all the duvet in about the right place - and no holes. She knows that if the bed is there, that's where we're staying now - which is a very good and easy pointer for her. We've also got a cordura one for the back of the car - and that's the one I'll be using if I need to take one for any event. I got her waterproof from the same maker.

I didn't have any physio offered - I looked up a sports clinic and went there - I don't want to be suffering from this for months, I want to get it working again asap. The physio said that, as I've done the bit that effectively ties my two ankles together side to side, its going to be much more difficult than just doing the one at the back which is apparently quite common - that ankle is currently about 6mm wider bone to bone...

Mistlehound likes gluing herself to me... DH isn't surprised, given the lack of attention he gives her during the day, even though he's working at home!

I'm using frontline more regularly at the moment to deter ticks - it says 8 wks for fleas and only 4 wks for ticks.

We use advocate and I only used it 3 weeks ago sad

mistlethrush Thu 01-Aug-13 09:32:37

I'm having grass seed issues if it makes you feel any better Cinnamon? Every night I have to check her all over as the grass seeds seem to bury down to the bottom of her coat, and I'm sure if they were left they would create a sore. She even lets me check each of her feet properly - although she keeps a close eye on things when I'm doing that - I think it tickles.

MagratGarlik Thu 01-Aug-13 11:21:55

We use Programme Plus for fleas, ticks and worms. It is preventative though, so doesn't work to get rid of them once they get them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now