If you have a non-shedding dog, come hither

(9 Posts)

Yes, slicker brush, that's what ours is.

broadsheetbabe Wed 15-May-13 19:10:58

Slicker brushes are recommended for doodles. The name that pops up again and again as one of the best is Les Poochs but they are pricey.

multitask Wed 15-May-13 14:48:32

Regular brushing and detangle spray, Poodles don't get a poodle curl until 6 / 8 months of age

Having owned poodles all my life I can tell you this is complete and utter rubbish! Poodles have curl from a few days old, the skin almost appears wavy and as as the coat grows so does the curl. One of our standards when not brushed for a few weeks grew corkscrew curls which I adored and would have loved to let her cord out completely.

Poodle curl is always there smile

Is the 'short wire brush' a slicker brush? Because I haven't got one of those.

happygardening Wed 15-May-13 09:07:54

"Poodles don't get a poodle curl until 6 / 8 months of age"
I dont know what a "poodle curl" is? My exceedingly well bred poodle arrived with curly fur and at nearly a year still has curly fur not much different to that he arrived with. According to the groomer it's a classic poodle coat.
I also brush him with "one of those brushes with lots of short wires" as his breeder advised me and he's clipped every 6 weeks.
I'm a convert to non shedding dogs and now would never have anything else its marvellous.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 14-May-13 22:30:17

I also have full short cut every 8 weeks and them very little is required in between. Very occasionally he gets small matts in his ears and I use a 'terrier glove' to brush these out.

Ours needed brushing every night with one of those brushes with lots of short wires until her first clip. Now we keep her short (full clip every two months) and only need to brush if we feel mats or she gets any seeds, thistles etc. caught. Although I tend to just cut them out as its easier. She's crept into a couple of pics on my profile if you want to see her. She's a year old now and in my opinion her coat is much better kept closely cut! although it was quite amusing when she stuck like Velcro in the brambles

makemeslim Tue 14-May-13 20:42:21

Regular brushing and detangle spray, Poodles don't get a poodle curl until 6 / 8 months of age

The puppy is a poodle cross, and so far he has a poodle coat (I realise this may change as he grows). Jas has a 'bog standard, moults everywhere and needs the occasional trim' type of spaniel coat, so I have a furminator, a basic bristle brush and some trimming scissors in my dog beautifying kit. What do I need to add to keep the new dude's coat in good shape? I'll be sending him to the groomers for a decent clip every other month, but I still need to keep the matts at bay in the meantime. Also, and shampoo recommendations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now