Flipping dog just went for me.

(74 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 13-May-13 21:18:03

Agggh, thought we were making so much progress.

Only had him two weeks for anyone unfamiliar with my other posts! Seemed fine temperament wise when we got him and by the following day he was snarling at me a bit and mainly Dh. Only when dd is around though, dog loves dd and is almost hysterical when she goes out, etc.

He was also snarling at other dogs, people out on walks, everyone at the vets waiting room.

We went to a dog trainer who said if he's snarling very nastily we should use "enough" as a command and if on a lead put him behind me when he does it.

This seems to be working well, he's now not snarling at other dogs or other people. Carpet fitter came today and she was fine with him. Still snarls at Dh sometimes and the trigger seems to be in dd's bedroom.

Then tonight I'm in dd's room, dd is there and so is dog. Dogs happily in his bed, I'm fairly close to him but not overly so and side on. Didn't move toward him and he just lunged at me and sank his teeth in. He's broken the skin but its just oozing a bit of blood. It's not a bad bite.

I shouted at him, not sure if that's the correct thing to do but I just feel he needs to be told that its totally unacceptable. I told him off and so did dd. dd picked him up and passed him to me and I put him out the room. We then came out after a short time and have made up.

I've had a lovely day with him previous to this. He's been sat with me all day, waggy tails and having his ears scratched. Nice walk and dog training this afternoon.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 14-May-13 19:47:14

Ill try ringing her at the weekend. She answered my emails promptly enough when I was enquiring about buying a dog. sad

moosemama Tue 14-May-13 19:47:47

Don't start thinking the worst about making awful decisions. He is still very young and a good behaviourist should be able to help you sort him out.

Your last paragraph reminds me of the 'red dog rage' people report in some spaniels. I watched a documentary once where a trainer worked with a family to deal with a red spaniel that frequently behaved exactly as you describe to everyone except the mum in the family. He was a much older adult dog and they were basically at the point of deciding to pts but, with the trainer's help, they managed to completely rehabilitate him and it had nothing to do with a 'syndrome' of any sort - just family dynamics and a very confused dog.

Your boy is still so very young, a decent behaviourist should be able to get the bottom of all this and help you work out how to deal with it.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 14-May-13 20:12:43

The behaviourist has emailed back and said shed be prepared to come if I really wanted her but she would have to charge mileage, which is fine.

She does point out there's another behaviourist slightly closer (six miles). And would I maybe prefer her.

But to be honest I don't. The other behaviourist doesn't have a website, I can't find any reviews for her. She just has a small blurb on the capbt website saying she's a vet nurse and trains gun dogs. Whereas the other one seems to be a full time, professional behaviourist so I think may have more experience.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 14-May-13 20:16:08

Do you think having him castrated would help btw, he's old enough to be done?

moosemama Tue 14-May-13 20:28:43

I think that's something you need to discuss with the behaviourist.

It doesn't work for all dogs, for example we used to have a large breed, fear aggressive dog, neutering wouldn't and didn't make any difference to his behaviour. I would say you really need the behaviourist to untangle the root of the behaviour before doing anything else with him.

Branleuse Tue 14-May-13 20:34:31

your dog snarls and bites and you have a child?
can you return it?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 14-May-13 20:35:11

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks. I'm sure we'll get there. Like its been said he's a young dog and I'm prepared to put the effort in.

idirdog Tue 14-May-13 20:53:42

If the puppy had been kept in outhouses for 6 months and the first encounter with living in a house you would expect some problems. So the puppy may not have been homed already.

I am not sure where you are but (as other behaviourist was in Notts, guessing you are in that area) I cannot recommend Claire Arrowsmith enough. here She has sessions in Nottingham and other areas. She is highly qualified, highly skilled and WILL know exactly what is needed to help your dog. She is up there with the gold star of behaviourists.

The lady you have contacted will be ok for training but her COAPE course is only theoretical and will not cover aggression or guarding in depth.

I hope you sort it Viva it sounds like you will smile

VivaLeBeaver Tue 14-May-13 21:11:19

Idirdog, do you think I'd be better off with a clinic based appt with Claire Arrowsmith or a home based appt with the lady I linked to?

It's just hard to know how good people actually are. But if the course she did maybe didn't cover aggression in depth then maybe she won't be the best?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 14-May-13 21:16:32

I could always film dog been horrible to show someone at a clinic based appt so they see what he can be like.

miggy Tue 14-May-13 21:19:40

Honestly think you need someone experienced and well qualified, dont get hung up on the home visit thing. Go to the best person.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 14-May-13 21:31:03

Ok, so Claire Arrowsmith or Daniel mills ?

SignoraStronza Tue 14-May-13 21:35:14

Have pmd you. Know a brilliant trainer/behaviorist who might possibly be in your area.

miggy Tue 14-May-13 22:13:13

I'd go for Daniel mills personally

tabulahrasa Tue 14-May-13 22:27:15

I know it's of no real use to you now...but that isn't how KC registration works, usually the entire litter is registered well before they'd be old enough to be sold on, the paperwork would usually be given to an owner when they take the puppy home at 8 weeks or so and they then transfer it into their name. If she'd ever intended to register him it would have been done 5 months ago, not when she'd found a buyer.

poachedeggs Wed 15-May-13 00:24:18

Claire Arrowsmith was a fellow student on an aggression course I did last year. She knows her stuff, and has impressive credentials.

Video can be very useful in clarifying the situation.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 15-May-13 06:25:13

Yes, I suspect there's a reason why he couldn't be kc registered. Just not sure what the reason is, either his parents aren't who she told me they are, or hir mum has had too many litters too close together, or another reason.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Wed 15-May-13 08:10:40

How stressful for you. sad
Good luck with the behaviour expert.

idirdog Wed 15-May-13 20:22:52

Let us know how you get on Viva.

I would speak to both Claire and Daniel and see which one you could work with. I don't know much about Daniel and personally would prefer a behaviourist qualified in one or two types of animals rather than a general animal behaviourist.

Good luck Viva. It sounds hugely stressful.

topknob Wed 15-May-13 21:38:19

I have never heard of this breed..please advise me of what it is made up from..I may be able to advise you x

VivaLeBeaver Wed 15-May-13 22:14:24

Topknob, the breed isn't made up of anything, its not a crossbreed but a proper pedigree. It's a type of sighthound/multi sensory hound but looks like a terrier.

RedwingWinter Wed 15-May-13 23:29:52

Good luck Viva. Let us know how you get on with the behaviourist. I think either of those would be good and you might as well take into account which is most convenient for you to get to. I looked at the pictures on the website - they are cute dogs! (but as well as three breeds of dog, she seems to have a lot of other types of animals too).

chrissiegsd Thu 16-May-13 11:19:34

It very much sounds as if he's resource guarding, in this case your daughter.
I personally wouldn't have this behaviour in my house with children, as it's a disaster waiting to happen. If he's behaving like this as a puppy, what's he going to be like when he's matured?
All well & good that he loves your daughter, but what if further down the line you have other children or he starts resource guarding things and your daughter's on the receiving end?
Seriously - & I say this as a mother of 3 children who have all been raised in a household with working line GSDs - he should be returned to the breeder asap. He sounds as if he needs a very experienced owner & in my opinion doesn't sound a suitable companion for your daughter/family - he's going to need a huge amount time/money/training invested in him to sort him out, even then it's not guaranteed 100% to work.
Having a puppy/dog should be fun! You & your family should be enjoying spending time with him, bonding with him, not having to worry about how you enter a room & whether or not he's going to bite you! And what about when your daughter has her friends over, how will you manage him then? Put him in a crate, I hear you shout! What about when she's older & has her friends over when you're not there?
I confess I know absolutely nothing about this breed, but I do know about dogs & children living together. I would return him to the breeder & decide if you definitely feel this breed is the correct one for your family or not - if you do I would get an 8 week old puppy (but perhaps not from this "breeder").
I think it's admirable that you're trying to help him, but I really do think that you should just put this one down to experience and find another pup/dog that fits into your family better.
If you take just one thing away from my post, please let it be that you stop allowing him into your daughters' bedroom - this definitely should not be allowed(regardless of the noise he makes) until you've either had advice from a behaviourist or rehomed him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now