Should you 'mirror' other owners?

(180 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Mon 13-May-13 09:20:13

I walk my dog (black lab) in a field. Occasionally there are other dogs there. He likes to greet the other dogs and run with them. If they aren't interested he leaves them alone.

Today he ran up ti golden retriever on a lead. I got told off by the owner because her dog was on a lead(had been attacked before) and was nervous so my dog should be on a lead.

Is this right? My dog bounced up to hers, hers lunges and growled and my dog runs back to me and goes back again and then leaves her dog alone to come with me.

Apparently dog owners mirror others.

Hullygully Mon 13-May-13 15:18:52

Unleashed dogs should not approach leashed dogs.

What is hard to grasp about that?

It's a rule of modern civilised society, like don't shove an old lady out of the way to get a seat on the bus. Y'know, a manners thing.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 13-May-13 15:25:37

Kittens, it is very very simple. You train your dog (which you clearly can as you've just said so) in which ever way you want to only approach dogs off lead or you call her back to walk by you when you see a dog. There are lots of ways to do it, pick one, be consistent, job done. I might put my dog on lead if I'm in a hurry and need to get somewhere without her stopping to sniff every pmail. I'm unlikely to do this but if I do I expect other owners to not let their dogs approach mine unless I say it's ok.

It is very easy, good manners and part of owning a dog in the UK. Look at it the same as teaching your children please and thank you. Don't spout drivel about it being a place where dogs are allowed off lead and other ogs having problems. It is basic manners and a part of the dog owning package same as picking up dog crap. Don't like it, find a field with no dogs around. Walking in public places observe basic etiquette, and however much you argue, not letting your dog approach an on leash dog is basic etiquette. If you don't observe it then you are at fault whatever you say.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 13-May-13 15:31:10

There is no such thing as public 'off lead places'. The law states that all dogs should be under close control. The etiquette we are putting forward is merely an expression of the 1992 Dog Control Act.

My dog is very nervous of other dogs (not too great with humans either), is getting on in years and has a dodgy leg. So she is on lead for a good part of her walk.

It gives me the screaming rage when other walkers let their dogs bound over to her with no thought as to WHY she is all leaded up.

If I yell to the owners they will oblige, usually with a patronising smile and a 'Oh, he just wants to play!' which is no good to me when my dog has strained her poorly leg and wet herself in fear.

fishybits Mon 13-May-13 15:45:48

Thanks Kittens. I honestly don't think that you had a really serious fear aggression problem with your dog if you were able to deal with it using those methods. I have a trained gun dog. She recalls instantly at all times and ignores other dogs when she's picking up. When she's not working though for some reason she really dislikes strange dogs. Her body language when another dog comes up to say hello screams leave me along, there's a 7 second pause and if the friendly dog doesn't back off then my dog very loudly tells it where to get off and it sounds as though she's killing it even though she doesn't actually touch the other dog. I put her on a lead when I see strange dogs approaching, she is off lead otherwise.

It's very frustrating when other dogs owners don't respect the choice that I've made for my dog, don't recall their dog fast enough and then get upset when my dog tells theirs off.

My other dog is super friendly, goes whizzing up to everyone but I put her on a lead if I see another dog approaching on lead. It's about respecting what the other owner has decided to do with their dog. It's no skin off my nose if my dogs have to walk to heel on a lead for 30 seconds, I view it as training. smile

Sheesh!

Naughty step for a dog? Are you serious?

CalamityKate Mon 13-May-13 15:50:43

God it's not rocket science.

I'm walking my dog off lead. Someone is coming in the other direction with a dog onlead. If we're on a field I swerve, get my dogs attention and call her to heel until they've passed. If we're on a narrow track I call her to me, pop the lead on until we've passed and as soon as we've passed I let her off again.

At the most, she's spent maybe 30 seconds onlead and we haven't caused anyone any hassle.

Anyone who claims that this is too big a deal is either shockingly self centred or they're making excuses for not being able to control their dog.

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 13-May-13 15:55:01

I will reiterate again, the law clearly states that when on leash my dog is not a problem. She is under control. If yours bounces over to her and gets hurt by her, that is your fault for failing to control your dog.

I don't want your dog to have lead walks only, I simply want you to call your dog away before it approaches mine. That is all. It would take us a minute to pass you and then you can let go of your dog.

ExcuseTypos Mon 13-May-13 15:56:52

This makes me so angry.

My jack Russell has absolutely no recall so she has to be on a lead. We live in the countryside and I'm sick to death of stupid people letting their dogs come bounding up to my dog. She's tiny so feels very threatened by a large dog running at her. I feel the same actually.

She then gets very frightened and then aggressive.

I've stopped being polite when idiots people let their dogs do this. I've started shouting at them "My dog will bite, get your dog away"

That usually does the trick.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 13-May-13 16:01:16

I always though it was very obvious what to do when you see an on lead dog but obviously it isn't as lots of people have had bad experiences. Is there any where a code of conduct thing for responsible dog owning ? It seems to need to be down in black and white for some people and is obviously an issue hence the Yellow dog project.

topknob Mon 13-May-13 16:17:30

Kitten how about you allow your friendly dog to sniff my dogs bum when she is on lead. Your dog won't do it again angry

RedwingWinter Mon 13-May-13 16:22:44

I hate it when off-lead dogs come bounding up to my on-lead ones. The owner inevitably shouts 'my dog's only being friendly' when in doggy-language it's actually being very rude, because instead of approaching slowly on a nice curve as if disinterested, it's made a straight bee-line for us and is all bouncy.

Kittens, many dogs behave differently on a lead, so even if they would be friendly off they may be defensive when on a lead.

I hate it more when dogs actually attack mine, and there are too many dogs in my rural community that do that. So we cope as best we can when dogs run up, but I will usually shout at the other dog to go away. Altho I'm not practising BAT, I have a nice turn-and-go that I do with Dog2 before he starts to get excited. Every time we make great progress some other dog runs up to him and it is driving me nuts.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 13-May-13 16:24:21

Well I just feel a bit sorry for you lot with your bad tempered dogs and inability to read.
Knob, you must be so proud.

Hullygully Mon 13-May-13 16:27:08

yes kitten you're right and every other dog owner in the world is wrong

well done!

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 13-May-13 16:28:44

Yes clearly we are all thick twats, my sincere apologies.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 13-May-13 16:29:44

Fishybits, before training the dog i established a very good relationship.
You don't know what she was like, but she trusts me and is very eager to please.

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 13-May-13 16:30:15

Inability to read? hmm

You know when 100% of other posters think you are wrong? They just might have a point...

AliceinSlumberland Mon 13-May-13 16:30:52

Kitten what about dogs who are elderly or ill, for whom it hurts to turn suddenly or be chased and just want a quiet sniff around the park?

Not all dogs are on lead because they are aggressive, but some are, and if you let your dog run up to it you are responsible for any injuries to your dog. Why would you put your dog at risk like that?

You sound seriously entitled kitten

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 13-May-13 16:32:05

Oh, is every dog owner on mumsnet at the moment. I meet a lot of dog owners every day, 99 percent of which are very friendly and love my dog. She's a very popular girl.
I'm guessing that you guys don't meet so many.

ExcuseTypos Mon 13-May-13 16:32:24

Kitten you obviously don't know much about dog behaviour. Maybe you should do some research?

And my dog isn't bad tempered. She's just reacting very normally, to a dog usually about 10 times her size, who comes rushing towards her and me, without any warning.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 13-May-13 16:33:57

Exit - yup. You sound seriously cliched.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 13-May-13 16:35:11

Excuse- I am the one with the well behaved dog, remember?

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 13-May-13 16:38:14

RUNNING UP TO LEASHED DOGS IS NOT WELL BEHAVED FOR THE LOVE OF FUCK. IT'S JUST NOT. IT'S RUDE.

FFS it's like trying to educate milk. I give up. Kittens you are right, everyone else on this thread and all of the behavior experts behind BAT, Yellow Dog etc. are wrong. I bow down to your superior knowledge.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 13-May-13 16:38:34

Well, getting you lot to realise how daft you are has been fun, but I must take my girl for walkers now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now