Should you 'mirror' other owners?

(180 Posts)
WinkyWinkola Mon 13-May-13 09:20:13

I walk my dog (black lab) in a field. Occasionally there are other dogs there. He likes to greet the other dogs and run with them. If they aren't interested he leaves them alone.

Today he ran up ti golden retriever on a lead. I got told off by the owner because her dog was on a lead(had been attacked before) and was nervous so my dog should be on a lead.

Is this right? My dog bounced up to hers, hers lunges and growled and my dog runs back to me and goes back again and then leaves her dog alone to come with me.

Apparently dog owners mirror others.

onlyoneboot Mon 13-May-13 10:50:57

...must add that after the field we went to the woods where I saw in the distance a dog off lead that has gone for my dog a couple of times and made her scared of going into the woods so I went a long way round (getting drenched in the process) to avoid the dog and its owner who seems to think that's fine. Walks can be a minefield!

Watching with interest for training tips to stop over friendly dogs running up to other dogs...

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 13-May-13 10:56:42

Other dog owners hate that phrase too badtasteyoni, it makes me come over all stabby when people tell me "He only wants to play with her", really? That's nice, but you see how my dog is barking, shaking, snarling and generally frothing at the mouth? Do you think she looks like she wants your dog to sniff her arse? And yes, he played with her off lead last week, but I told you then she is fear aggressive on-lead. No I can't let her off to play now. Your dog has already upset her, if I let her go now she will run all the way home in a terrified stupor.

Just wanted to echo the various points made. We walk our reactive dogs in a quiet area, at "off peak" times. One wears a yellow bandana (as per the Yellow Dog scheme) and the other wears a muzzle. Both are on the lead. Off lead bouncy dogs are the bane of our life and put back the months of hard work I've done on training our lovely old boy to cope better when meeting new dogs. And the phrase "Oh, he's only being friendly" should be punishable by medieval means!

WinkyWinkola Mon 13-May-13 11:45:46

A question. If you walk your dog only on lead does that mean it gets enough exercise?

tabulahrasa Mon 13-May-13 11:51:31

Mine doesn't, but that's because he has a dodgy leg, so he gets 2 or 3 ten minute walks and it's nowhere near enough so I have to make up for that by keeping him entertained at home.

But there's a man at the bottom of my road with a husky type who doesn't get off lead because of poor recall, he walks it at least twice a day for a couple of hours at a time, he must cover about 7 or 8 miles in that time - that's way more than mine would get even if he was sound, lol.

Some people just pop the lead back on when there's a dog about and have them off the rest of the time.

So it just depends really.

ClaraOswinOswald Mon 13-May-13 12:00:49

I alternate with my dog depending on where we are and if there are other dogs about as he has poor recall. He was attacked by an off-leash dog who was far from his owner while he was on the lead with me. It was awful. I would not like to be responsible for that happening to another dog.

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 13-May-13 12:07:25

While my terrier was in training for recall and dog aggression I would run or cycle with him or he walked for two hours daily, so yes, he got enough excerise.

He walked for 9 miles yesterday, half on lead, half off lead. But even if he'd been on lead the whole time, it would have been more than enough for him.

I do leash walks when I'm short on time, normally there are spaces where I will let them off, generally off the beaten track where I am unlikely to meet other dogs, while I am training.

ClartyCarol Mon 13-May-13 12:07:33

I've just googled the Yellow Dog Project, sounds like a good idea but I'd never heard of it before! If I'd seen a dog wearing a yellow bandana or ribbon on its lead them I would not have realised the significance of it. However I do always put my dog on the lead if I see an on lead dog approaching.

OP, you say your dog approached twice. I really can't understand why you would let your dog go back a second time when he had been growled at the first time. I feel sorry for the Goldie - what more could he do to say "Leave me alone please". If I was the other owner I would've been very annoyed.

Ours come off lead where it is safe to do so. Like many greyhound owners, we hire a secure field (were there yesterday) for blocks of time - this allows us a wonderful time when all four hounds can play, run and frolic. Two of the hounds go running regularly with DH. Some attend training classes, and we also go off lead on the beach or other safe, carefully chosen areas. We also go regularly to local sighthound playgroups.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 13-May-13 12:40:17

I still don't see why my dog should have to go on the lead because other dogs are badly behaved.
She doesn't pester other dogs but she is friendly. I'd hate to see her natural friendliness subdued.

ClartyCarol Mon 13-May-13 12:43:54

The other dogs aren't badly behaved as such - they may be frightened, nervous, unpredictable. Is it really worth risking your dog being bitten? My dog is friendly but I would hate for him to be attacked because I wasn't sensible enough to read the situation.

Whoknowswhocares Mon 13-May-13 12:48:39

Why does friendly equate to approaching other dogs regardless of the signals being given out, even when her advances are obviously (in the example here -growling) not welcome?
I'm friendly. It does not mean I wander up to total strangers and pester them! The etiquette is exactly the same for dogs

tabulahrasa Mon 13-May-13 12:50:28

Kittensoft - it's not about putting your dog on a lead as such, just if you can't stop it approaching a dog who is on the lead.

If a dog isn't approaching other dogs it makes no difference at all if it's on or off a lead - why would I care if the dog in the distance if loose but not coming near mine? Lol

Kitten, it's nothing to do with being badly behaved. hmm

An on lead dog may be very elderly, or may be recovering from surgery.

Before her death last year, our darling old girl was losing her sight, had arthritis and had had a stroke. Bouncy cannonball dogs were painful and scary for her.

I've just made a yellow bandana for a friend with the additional wording - I am Blind. Again, my friend is fed up with people's dogs bouncing over to her elderly blind greyhound - he walks well on the lead, especially with his brother to guide him but finds unknown dogs approaching understandably scary.

Unless you have X ray vision and superpowers you can't tell from a distance why a dog is on a lead.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 13-May-13 12:52:49

My dog does not pester, and I don't see why she has to go on the lead. She is very well behaved and quick to realise when another dog is not interested.

Floralnomad Mon 13-May-13 12:54:02

kittens you don't have to put your dog on a lead just ensure that it doesn't go near a dog that is on a lead . I don't put mine on a lead when I see dogs on leads because I know that my dog will not go over to them because he is anti social and if we are on a narrow path he will stay right beside me until they pass and not attempt to say hello . If your dog is likely to approach the on lead dog you need to have enough control to stop your dog or put yours on a lead before he can get to the other dog. Its nothing to do with stopping your dogs natural friendliness, she can be friendly with off lead dogs .

idirdog Mon 13-May-13 12:55:24

On a walk this weekend my dogs were hounded by an off lead dog that continued to approach my dogs time and time again. I did wait for the owner to recall his dog but he did not do so. I put my dogs back in the car and then walked back to the owner and walked really close behind him, he was obviously unhappy with this and after swearing at me and talking about his personal space and me being a head case he threatened to call the police.

I reminded him that this was exactly what he had allowed his dogs to to do to mine........

Dog greetings should be supervised and only after agreement with both owners.

I awaiting for the police to knock on my door smile

idirdog Mon 13-May-13 12:56:26

"I awaiting for the" and the grammar police!! I am waiting......

tabulahrasa Mon 13-May-13 13:02:22

My puppy is interested though - but he's not allowed to play with other dogs, he's already had one surgery and is going to have to undergo another one in the next few months. He's 10 months old.

He sometimes is sound enough to get off lead for 5 minutes a day, he can't play fetch or tug and last week rolling in some freshly cut grass got him 3 days of house rest a vets visit, 4 days of tramadol and he had to miss his training class. He loves his 10 minute sniffing about on his lead walks.

You letting your dog come and play with him even though he's on the lead could stop him getting out for another 3 days and cost me yet another vet visit...or possibly mean we have to move his next, more invasive surgery up even though we're trying to wait for him to stop growing to give it more chance of working.

Hullygully Mon 13-May-13 13:05:20

If nothing else it's just good manners to assume that another dog is on the lead FOR A REASON...

Hullygully Mon 13-May-13 13:05:54

kittens, are you being deliberately disingenuous?

Can you really not understand it isn't about you and your dog??

Off lead dogs running up to mine is the bane of my life.

Every time I make progress rehabilitating/retraining my dog (she was badly attacked last year) some off lead dog comes running at her and scares the shit out of her.

Despite asking the owner to recall their dog, they still let them run up to her and ruin weeks of training.

IMO the right thing to do when ou come across other dogs wether on or off lead is to call yours to heel then check with the other owner if its okay to let them have a sniff and a play.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 13-May-13 13:18:32

Ummm, but it is about my dog.
I don't have the luxury of huge open spaces near me. If I put her on the lead every time we were close to another dog then she'd never be off it. I take the point that a dog may be ill, etc, but if you have a badly behaved dog then I think it is up to you to keep your dog away from mine and get some training.
As far as I can see it is natural for dogs to greet each other and have a bottom sniff.

Hullygully Mon 13-May-13 13:21:15

The point is kittens, if you are in a large communal space, it is about ALL dogs. The rule is that offlead dogs do not approach onlead dogs. The end.

Hullygully Mon 13-May-13 13:22:29

Your point of view is that of an astonishingly unempathetic and wildly egocentric individual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now