Which breed as friend for 2 year old Lab?

(25 Posts)
Libertymae Sun 05-May-13 17:43:08

Just to let you know, we went for a cockapoo as had a bizarre but very timely opportunity to get one on Friday. He is the most adorable little black ball of fluff, and we're all utterly smitten - apart from the lab at the moment. But I am REALLY hoping that will change soon. Thanks for all your help.

ginauk84 Thu 02-May-13 19:17:22

Friend of mine has a cavapoo and she has done really well at agility and won right up through the grades to the top. Her little legs sometimes struggle to keep up with some of the bigger small dogs so a cockapoo would be great for agility smile

Jaskla Thu 02-May-13 18:55:14

Another vote for a cockapoo.

There would be no issues for her to keep up on a run - ours is very energetic and loves to run and jump. I keep meaning to look into agility classes as she would love it.

Also, she doesn't shed. We just have to get her clipped every 8 weeks.

Lovely nature as well - she loves everyone and very friendly with other dogs.

She was really easy to train. Top of the class at puppy training smile

ginauk84 Thu 02-May-13 12:58:57

I was going to suggest a working cocker too - not as much coat as a normal or show bred cocker so easier to maintain. They would have no problems keeping up with a lab as are full of energy and great little characters.

digerd Thu 02-May-13 07:11:38

Your cat looks so caring and sweet with his paw affectionately draped over JRs back. Latter looks a bit hmm though grin

mrspink27 Wed 01-May-13 21:57:28

It's a vegan one! It's yummy!!!

LadyTurmoil Wed 01-May-13 21:53:03

mrspink27 Dogs look lovely but your chocolate cake looks amazing! Wish you could send me some in the post... smile

mrspink27 Wed 01-May-13 21:49:59

pic on my profile... NB the token dog... the jack russell spends his time being terrorised by the cat and the cat spends his time either monopolising the very large bed or being humpy rumpied by the lab! Oh the joy of pet ownership!!!!

cathpip Wed 01-May-13 20:43:12

We had a lab and a cocker (think half the weight/size) and cheaper at the vets. They drop little hair and you don't need to brush them that often.

topbannana Wed 01-May-13 19:58:29

Working cocker (I have 2 so a little biased grin)

exexpat Wed 01-May-13 19:25:43

Mine just doesn't build up enough shaggy stuff to need stripping ever - it all just falls out. Other border terrier owners come up to me and ask where I get him stripped because he looks so neat - they should see my living room rug...

I am trying to keep on top of stripping my border regularly exexpat by stripping little and often which is maybe why his moulting hasn't seemed high.

SilverBellsandCockleShells Wed 01-May-13 18:18:30

There are three sizes of poodle, Standard, Miniature and Toy. Our cockapoo is from a miniature poodle (although he's actually second generation so has cocker spaniels and poodles as his grandparents) and will grow to medium size, similar to a cocker spaniel.

We've only had him a week so don't know how much grooming he will take, but have been told a good groom every three or four months should do it.

finickypinickity Wed 01-May-13 18:17:57

We've just got a JR X shih tzu as a friend for our 2 year old Lab and they get on really well so far. I think the pup will be out running M very soon and even though he's the size of a large rabbit atm he can hold his own when it comes to rough play!

The moulting is definitely going to be a prob with one long haired white dog and one black so i didnt plan that very well!

digerd Wed 01-May-13 18:02:25

The size of a Cockerpoo will depend on which size of poodle as there are 3 of them. Standard, medium, mini. The medium would be similar in size to a cocker, the standard much taller and the mini smaller.

I assume the labradoodle is a mix with the Standard size, and minis are used for small breed crosses, and medium used for medium sized breeds.

They are both lively energetic breeds.

mrspink27 What a gorgeous fluffy cutie, yours is!

mrspink27 Wed 01-May-13 16:17:24

Our lab is best buddies with a very gorgeous jack russell. They are inseparable and howl if the other goes out alone!!! The jack russell is broken coated and so doesnt shed too much - I just hand strip him when he looks too scruffy! He can almost outrun the lab and more than keeps up on long walks... Will see if I can post a pic on my profile...

Libertymae Wed 01-May-13 16:10:56

exexpat, moulting thing is from DH, who cites MORE dog hair as another reason not to get a second dog. He is just being difficult, will love it when we do get one!

Libertymae Wed 01-May-13 15:55:59

SilverBells .. your cockapoo is delish! (Sounds wrong, but you know what i mean.) Very cute and my DD's pup of choice, as it happens. Would one be able to keep up with a Lab? How big do they grow? How much maintenance does that lovely hair take?

I'm going to google the other breeds mentioned too. Thanks for your input.

exexpat Wed 01-May-13 15:55:52

I have a border terrier and agree that they would be perfect, except that mine would fail on the moulting front. He sheds all the time - but he is a bit unusual, he doesn't need stripping, he just moults instead. But if you are already hoovering up after a labrador, will more hair actually make that much difference?

Otherwise, borders are great - good with children, compact size but up for long walks if offered (and long snoozes on sofas if not), will play with any size of dog, not known as chewers (except for a brief period while teething as puppies).

thegriffon Wed 01-May-13 15:52:04

I really want a border terrier smile but think my lab might be jealous. He's 2 as well, loves playing with other dogs when out, friendly with cat, they share a bed and and sometimes play together (dog drops ball in front of cat then snatches it back, cat bats dog round head, chase ensues etc) but as soon as cat comes near me for stroking or gets on my lap dog goes frantic, barks and tries to nose push the cat out of the way. So a bit worried about getting another dog in case it gets bullied.

mistlethrush Wed 01-May-13 15:43:44

You can't guarantee a cockerpoo will be non-shedding though - I saw one recently that looked just more curly than a normal cocker, and his owners said that they had got one that shed - even though they wanted the breed specifically for the non-shedding, but when they got him you couldn't tell. His sibling was non-shedding though.

austenozzy Wed 01-May-13 15:43:09

How about a vizsla or a beagle? Or a heinz 57 rescue mutt that would love a happy, busy home?

SilverBellsandCockleShells Wed 01-May-13 15:40:33

We have just acquired a cockapoo puppy (see profile pic). They are lovely, sociable, non-shedding dogs, with the added bonus that they look just like big teddy bears!

My Border Terrier fits all your requirements.

He does moult but not terribly. He is 9 months old and hasn't been crated for several weeks now and hasn't chewed.

He loves playing with dogs and kids though he sometimes forgets he is little...I had to drag him up the river bank last week after he leapt in after my friends lab/springer but he couldn't get out. He goes out with a couple of labs once or twice a week and gets in fine with them.

He can easily handle long walks too.

Libertymae Wed 01-May-13 15:00:19

Hello all,
Would love some thoughts on what would be a good second dog to own please.

We have a lovely, super sociable Lab and I'd love her to have a friend. DH is not as keen as me (yet), and keeps coming up with reasons why we shouldn't but 3 DC all very keen, so am trying to find a breed that would suit us all.

Wish list would be:
1. A small-ish breed (I saw a mixed pug, jack russell, chihuahua and am in love, but DH thinks would not be able to go on runs)

so 2. Not so tiny that it would not be able to go on runs with DC and our lab when old enough

3. Low or non-moulting

4. Friendly and playful, both with DC (aged 5,7, and 10) and our Lab

5. Not too much of a chew-er

Mixed breed or pedigree, doesn't matter. Any ideas?
Thank you
LM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now