What to buy - puppy present for novice dog owner?

(9 Posts)
TheCunnyFunt Thu 02-May-13 15:19:25

Get a puppy kong, they're small and made out of softer rubber than the red or black ones. The puppy ones are either pink or blue in a marbled effect.

Wylye Wed 01-May-13 20:00:22

Thank you for all the suggestions! I especially like yours Housewife grin

They've already booked puppy training for the week she arrives - DSis is taking all three DC (5 7 & 9) with her so they all learn together what to do (and not to do!).
She's pretty set for books, but I reckon a Kong thing would be good, Havanese are tiny little dog-shaped-cats so i'll see if I can find a diddy one.

I saw some twig shaped chew bars, will have a google of stag bars and see if they're better.

Thanks everyone!

Billwoody Wed 01-May-13 18:13:08

Stag bar for when the puppy is about 4 months and wants to chew everything in sight

RedwingWinter Wed 01-May-13 18:11:26

What about a book, or does she have lots already? Life Skills for Puppies by Helen Zilch and Daniel Mills is perfect for a new puppy owner. The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson is a great read for anyone who wants to know more about dogs.

Steel toe cap boots and gauntlets <bathes puppy chewing wounds>

HousewifeFromHeaven Wed 01-May-13 13:07:24

Alcohol. She'll need it.

Callisto Wed 01-May-13 13:05:45

Voucher for puppy training classes.

hortensemancini Wed 01-May-13 08:59:36

A Kong. Stuff it with interesting cheese/kibble/mackerel pâté/nutritious gunge, and enjoy literally minutes of silence as the dog attempts to winkle it all out. Will also help make the crate a Fun Place To Be if that's the only place the Kong magically appears. Comes in different sizes - not sure how big a Havanese would need?

Wylye Tue 30-Apr-13 22:27:45

My lovely sis will be getting her 4th baby little Havanese pup in a couple of months time, and I was wondering what a good present would be?
I'm making her a set of small fleece blankets to cover the sofa/car seats etc, but wondered if there was something really useful I should get as well?

DSis had been researching like mad and has bought everything she thinks she needs, but we're a cat family so not really familiar with the canine world!

They're in the US, so I'm hoping any suggestions will be cheap & light to post! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now