Breed advice pleaese - Springer, Schnauzer or Bichon

(42 Posts)
angelinterceptor Tue 30-Apr-13 11:41:40

This might seem like a weird request - we are finally, after many years of waiting and putting it off, getting our first dog.

DH favours a springer spaniel - and they seem like a medium sized dog - or am I wrong do they get really big?

DC like smaller dogs like the schnauzer, bichon etc - I suspect because these are the dogs their friends have.

We will be getting a puppy, and it will be coming to work with me eventually, so need a chilled breed. Access to exercise and training not a problem.

want a good family pet, happy to chill, and also happy to do walks to forest, beach etc.
would be doing longer walks in evening - say 30-60mins

please please can anyone help

we would consider rescue - but there is not much around here - and I don't know if we would be approved.

mrslaughan Tue 30-Apr-13 20:35:50

The springers I know are lively family dogs - but 30-60min in the evening for most would not be enough exercise. The are really a working breed so need exercise and mental stimulation.

I have my neighbor who has a couple of schnauzers - they had always been on my list, and although I like her dogs, I would not consider one now as they bark a lot.

I don't know any bishon's.

The thing that struck me about you post - do you think you have enough time? Obedience is a constant thing- that you continue working on, but also socialization is really important for all breeds........

I would think you need to be able to commit an hour a day for walking, to have a happy and well socialized dog.

OrbisNonSufficit Tue 30-Apr-13 21:12:20

We have a mini schnauzer. He's lovely - VERY smart, loving, family focussed and doesn't shed (or smell doggy). He's very happy to nap on the couch all day, but he's also always up for a walk if someone offers. The main thing he needs is to be with us - minis don't cope with being left alone regularly for more than about 4 hours at a stretch. Also, some words of caution - if you're not confident training a dog then a mini might not be for you, they can be rather stubborn and will constantly test the boundaries. But if you can be firm without being harsh a mini will reward you with an enormous amount of personality and love.

I agree with the other posters, you need to be very careful about puppy farms - we found our breeder via the UK schnauzer breed club.

angelinterceptor Tue 30-Apr-13 21:58:04

Oh dear you are all worrying me now. I have no idea where to go with this.

The puppies I have seen for sale here seem to be people doing a bit of breeding with their own pets. Is that bad?

saintmerryweather Tue 30-Apr-13 22:06:24

Yes it can be bad, its highly likely that if people are breeding with family pets that they wont bother with health tests

OrbisNonSufficit Tue 30-Apr-13 22:12:55

Some people who breed their own pets in a casual backyard fashion might produce nice dogs, but they may not test for inherited diseases, they may inadvertently be inbreeding and they're certainly overcharging if they want even close to pedigree prices. 'Free to a good home' mutt pups? Go for it. 'Pedigree' (but can't produce parents pedigree certs and don't know about the breed's health problems)? Steer clear.

Ripley13 Wed 01-May-13 15:09:55

Both mine were bought from owners pets being bred. I have the pedigree certificates for each of them and other relevant certificates for their eye tests etc. I have also being trying to breed my two, but it's not happening. If successful I'll pay for all their health checks and have the pedigree certificate for the new owners. smile

angelinterceptor Mon 06-May-13 22:30:03

Update after a week of discussion and talking to several breeders and owners we have made out decision.

We have reserved a female mini schnauzer and pick her up next weekend. She is 12 weeks old and so cute.

Thanks everyone for advice- I am sure to be asking loads more in the next year!

Perihelion Tue 07-May-13 14:34:14

Ripley health tests should be done on your dogs before you breed them. Your dogs parents having been screened is not good enough.

kimbar303 Tue 21-May-13 22:26:03

I have a miniature schnauzer and think you have made the right choice smile enjoy!! We have a boy who is now 7 and would never have another breed! We have two boys 4 and 10 now. Lovely breed and family dog! smile

EleanorFarjeon Tue 21-May-13 22:29:39

We have a (big) mini schnauzer and he's the best dog in the world.

Enjoy your lovely pup!

BestIsWest Tue 21-May-13 22:36:09

How exciting! We have a mini Schnauzer too (pic on my profile). He's a lovely dog. The only thing he wants is to be with the family. If he can't be sitting next to you, or on your feet, he'll be sitting on something that belongs to you.

EleanorFarjeon Tue 21-May-13 22:43:46

That sounds like mine Best! And he looks exactly like mine too!

He's always on my feet, my lap or under my elbow!

angelinterceptor Wed 22-May-13 12:01:29

We have had wee pup now for just over a week, she is 14 weeks old - so not too small.
She is coming to work with me every day (its a small business, not really any customers, just deliveries and postman etc - who all have a wee chat and a stroke of her).
She trots about after me, or sits under my chair on my feet. I have been taking her outside for a pee, and then a lunchtime walk.

In the evenings, we take her on a longer walk - she is easily doing 45-60 mins - although most of that is spent sitting down looking at cars, people, trees etc.

thanks everyone for all advice so far - now I need to start organising insurance (that's a whole other thread).

SgtTJCalhoun Wed 22-May-13 12:11:36

I've a Minature schnauzer and he's perfect. Gentle, loyal, brilliant with ALL dc. He's one of those that even the tiny ones can approach and I know he will be fine. He's not particularly barky though others on here say they can be.

He gets 3 x 15 minute walks a day most days but goes out for a couple of hours or more at least four times a week.

He's fantastic and I want Minature schnauzers forever.

kitsmummy Wed 22-May-13 12:33:47

You do realise that puppies should be getting 5 mins walking per month of their life? So your puppy's walks should be no longer than 15-20 mins at the most. Once they're a year old their bones/joints are developed enough to cope with the longer walks

mistlethrush Wed 22-May-13 12:35:54

Don't get a schnautzer - I've met more unfriendly ones of those than practically any other breed....

mistlethrush Wed 22-May-13 12:36:44

Ah, too late I see - I hope you get one of the good ones - they are around (its just I've seen more of the others!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now