Dog isn't good. Suspect we're approaching the end.

(22 Posts)
shockers Tue 30-Apr-13 21:31:04

Ginge... I like your style, and your colour as me and my youngest dog have a foxy tone grin

We are lucky to live close to an amazing rescue (where l'il foxy came from), and given her need for doggy closeness, I'm sure we'll be there during the coming months. I need dogs in my life and there are dogs that need me in theirs!

Our old lad is snoring gently close by and I am glad of yesterday's reprieve, for the moment smile.

Gingersstuff Tue 30-Apr-13 13:49:34

moosemama that's lovely.

Gingersstuff Tue 30-Apr-13 13:47:43

Aw shockers...I feel your pain sad
After our old lad passed I swore up and down I'd never have another dog...I was properly grief-stricken more than I would be at most humans...and yet somehow we now have three...a rescue lab, a two-year-old goldie, and their 9-month-old daughter who is the Devil's very own handmaiden as cute as a button.
AYC very glad to hear your old lad is doing so well.

shockers Mon 29-Apr-13 22:53:39

Thank you smile.

Glad yours seems ok AYC, and good that he's not in pain. Ours has given us 15 years of fab dog loveliness... they are worth every bit of our love, time and concern aren't they?

moosemama Mon 29-Apr-13 20:04:37

Good to hear he is doing ok.

I started a similar thread when our girl started going downhill and we had another couple of months with her. It's never long enough of course, but I was glad to have the time to spoil her a bit and make sure she knew how loved she was.

Shockers, ((hugs)) for you too, no matter how unmnetty.

AtYourCervix Mon 29-Apr-13 19:31:46

sad shockers. Its so hard.

Dog is ok. For now.

I feel for you Shockers sad

So Op - sounds like maybe it's not time yet? Really well done for ringing the vet. Every little step you take like that will help. Just try and enjot hi for a bit longer.

Snugglepiggy Mon 29-Apr-13 18:03:36

We have our pets all over the house ! Each time we have had one cremated we get the ashes in a little casket and then can't bring ourselves to put it in the ground.So as I reply my lovely old collie who died at almost 16 is tucked behind my favourite photo of my DCs with her when they were little.Our labrador is on my DDs bedroom bookcase.A beloved cat is on the shelf in another DDs room ,and her feline friend out in a favourite spot in the greenhouse.Just a little family quirk, and didnt plan it that way.
Sorry to hear your old collie is failing.Enjoy the time left together, at least with animals we can do the kindest thing and end any suffering when the time comes.It's never easy though is it ?

shockers Mon 29-Apr-13 18:01:59

You have my deepest sympathies. Today our lovely old collie/GS cross was booked in for that.
We took him for a shuffle around on his favourite beach first, then DH had a massive wobble, phoned the vet and cancelled.
I have spent the last 4 days attempting to prepare myself and the children and I feel emotionally battered. I also know that I will have to do it all again in a week or so.
I love him and I really don't want him to suffer... he is one of those grateful for a cuddle, don't want to make a fuss kind of dogs too.

AtYourCervix Mon 29-Apr-13 17:13:16

That's lovely moose.

I've talked to the vets. So all ok there. Would just need to ring.

And been for a walk/stagger. Elephantine amounts of poo as normal and he's fine.

moosemama Mon 29-Apr-13 16:59:29

Not weird at all AYC. I have friends who have all kept all their old pets, everyone is different and there is no right way.

We always go for individual cremation and then take them to their favourite beach. I always imagine the whole pack of them running free whenever I'm there and I love to hike up to the far point, away from everyone else on the beach (well, except for the odd nosy seal) and talk to them all. I suspect my old Dad is there with them too, keeping them under control, as he was the one that introduced us to the place and shared many a dog walk with us there over the years.

AtYourCervix Mon 29-Apr-13 16:25:27

And thanks for listening and understanding.

I was thinking people might think it weird for planning to keep him in a box on the bookcase.

AtYourCervix Mon 29-Apr-13 16:24:32

He's currently annoying the cat. I think I'll call the vet and just ask about what ifs.

Gingersstuff Mon 29-Apr-13 16:21:17

Aw your poor old boy sad I'm so sorry, been through this as well with our old retriever. His back end went and while the steroids the V.E.T. put him on gave him a new lease of life for a few months, they also gave him organ failure.
Our vet sounds like yours, Moosemama. She was wonderful, came to the house and did the deed there, and with hindsight I'm so glad we paid the wee bit extra for this. He had the best end a dog could wish for, surrounded by his humans and with his head on my knee. She took him away to the pet crematorium and we got him back a few days later in a jar. At the time we planned to bury him in the back garden and then I realised I just couldn't. He's on our bookcase in the living room and I take great comfort from that, I really do. It's the hardest bloody thing I've ever done but I also take great comfort in the fact we did the right thing by our old lad and didn't let him suffer.
I really hope your boy bounces back, AtYour. But if he doesn't, and he needs to go, you need to let him go as painlessly as possible. Un-MN hugs to you.

AtYourCervix Mon 29-Apr-13 16:09:03

Thanks moose. Your vet sounds lovely.
I do worry that he just doesn't show pain. It's obviously uncomfortable if I try to look but he looks normally cheerful.
We'll go for a little walk shortly and I'll see how he does.

moosemama Mon 29-Apr-13 16:00:01

So sorry to hear this AYC. As you know I have just been through it with my old lady and it never gets any easier.

You are brave enough though. I didn't think I was, but when it was the right time I knew it and was able to let her go. Right up until that morning I didn't think I could, but you find the strength when you need to.

I would get the Vet's opinion. Ours was lovely, never pushed us in any direction and spent lots of time talking through all the options with us. She didn't even avoid it when I asked the 'what would you do if you were me' question and gave me an very open and honest answer. She was lovely actually and I'm still trying to think of an appropriate way of thanking her.

For us the question was always whether or not we could keep her pain free enough to enjoy the time she had left. My girl was a collie cross and incredibly stoic. She really didn't show any signs of the amount of pain she must have been in, so that we were convinced the painkillers were keeping her comfortable. She didn't even show it on the way to her xray, where they found she had a pathological fracture through the affected leg. sad The vet had warned us this might be the case, some dogs are just programmed to get on with things and not complain and there can be a degree of wanting to please us thrown into the mix as well.

There is no need for the vet to take him away if they come to your home. If you want to keep him there and do things your own way they will be fine with whatever you feel is right.

I will keep everything crossed for you that things settle down again and you have some more time to think it all through, whilst spending some more time with your lovely boy.

AtYourCervix Mon 29-Apr-13 15:46:17

If the V. E. T. Does the deed at home would they take him away after? I think I'd like him back.

AtYourCervix Mon 29-Apr-13 15:44:46

I think when DH gets in I'll pin him down and have a look.

Or could pop him to the V. E. T. But then i'm not sure if there's any point. Or give them a ring and give them the heads up that we might need them to come here and do the deed soon.

Or maybe he'll just bounce back again like he has done before.
Poor boy.

KittensoftPuppydog Mon 29-Apr-13 15:40:02

You might as well get the vet's opinion. Maybe be able to sort out the irritation and make him a bit more comfortable.
You have my sympathy. I have an old dog and I'm dreading all of this.

AtYourCervix Mon 29-Apr-13 15:36:10

I know. I'm not brave though.

It's very hard but you need to take care of your lovely old chap like you always have. You can't let him down by allowing him to suffer.
I really hope it stops and you can just put this to the back of your mind but if it doesn't then get the vet to come to your home and let him go in familar surroundings. You've just got to be brave.

AtYourCervix Mon 29-Apr-13 15:30:57

aged collie.
A year ago he tried to die, then bounced back.
He's got some back nerve thing going on so is wobbly (sometimes more than others. On drugs that help) doesn't stop him thinking he can bounce around.
He's also got a tumour/lump at his anus. A while back it exploded and we made the decision to not investiate or treat but to wait and see.
Today it has started bleeding again. Not badly but it's annoying him a bit.
He's otherwise well, not in pain, his normal dopey self.

Bollocks.

If it stops we'll carry on. But if it's bothering him or keeps bleeding I'm going to have to make that decision. And I don't want to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now