Dog going blind-would you put to sleep?

(25 Posts)
Dollylucy Sun 28-Apr-13 22:18:27

He's going to the vet to see if anything can be done, but it's not really looking good

So sorry to hear that. How old is he?

CoffeeShoppe Sun 28-Apr-13 22:20:58

no i wouldnt pts. dogs can adapt well to blindness,

Mutt Sun 28-Apr-13 22:21:31

I've known a few dogs who have gone blind in old age. They were all in otherwise reasonable health for their age and managed to potter about in their own environment quite well. If it is a gradual deterioration they seem to just adapt as they go.

See what your vet says but no, it's not necessarily the end for your boy smile

Branleuse Sun 28-Apr-13 22:21:35

no

saintmerryweather Sun 28-Apr-13 22:22:35

If the dog was in pain and elderly i would pts. otherwise no

jennybeadle Sun 28-Apr-13 22:23:44

Obviously, take your vet's advice, but I've met loads of dogs over the years, whilst out walking ours, that the owners have said are blind as well as very old, and they've always seemed quite content. I'm sure I've also met a few who were blind and deaf. I wouldn't be so confident about that, but I suppose, they can still feel a lead, and a pat. smile

recall Sun 28-Apr-13 22:35:11

If he can enjoy his food, enjoy a fuss, and still go for a little walk every day, then no I wouldn't.

pigsDOfly Sun 28-Apr-13 22:39:05

Not if the dog is otherwise healthy.

A few weeks ago I met someone in the park with 2 dogs, one of them was obviously very old and slow but off lead and enjoying a good sniff around not far away. He told me the dog was blind but enjoyed going out, still got around and still had a good life.

It's all about quality of life IMO and if an old dog can still enjoy a good sniff in the park and is free from pain, that's a good quality of life.

Blind dogs can and do enjoy an excellent quality of life. PTS should be on vet advice if dog is in pain or otherwise suffering, but blindness alone is no barrier to a full life. I've known several rescue dogs with very limited or no sight who managed brilliantly. We've also owned elderly dogs ourselves whose eyesight had deteriorated significantly in old age. This beautiful boy Jack even managed to compete in races link - sadly, but is now happily rehomed.

ThePlatypusAlwaysTriumphs Sun 28-Apr-13 23:01:12

IME dogs cope with blindness very well. Sight is almost a secondary sense to them, after smell, and many owners are unaware their dog is blind until they move the furniture! I've seen dogs with both eyes removed enjoy a good quality of life. Good luck!

Dollylucy Sun 28-Apr-13 23:54:38

It's not because of old age, he's under 3
He's always had health problems, eventually diagnosed with epilepsy and now largely under control
He has good days and bad days, think he is only really just getting used to losing his sight, but I think he might do some damage to himself
He's ok in normal environment but if e.g a door is open or someones left a package in the hall, he can go banging into it
It's sad to watch, but he's still eating well, and having fun and cuddles so very unsure

SunnyL Mon 29-Apr-13 07:27:04

My dog was put to sleep 3 weeks ago. She had bad cataracts for the last 5 years that were getting worse and worse. It got to the point where she could see only shadows out of the corner of her right eye. So long as you always walked on her right side when she went for a walk she was very happy.

Some things to do with blind dogs - dont rearrange the furniture. She knew where everything was and could tell where people were with her other senses. If other silly bouncy dogs come running up slip a lead on the blind dog. This sends a signal (to good dog owners) that they should get their dog under control. Blind dog was bowled over a few times by enthusiastic mutts but seemed ok with it.

In essence dogs cope with loosing one of their senses far better than humans. Their other senses will compensate.

So as the other folks said - if dog isnt in pain it should still be able to lead a very happy contented life if blind.

How is pooch today OP?

barleysugar Mon 29-Apr-13 12:09:25

Our dog went blind very suddenly last year, age 7. I too had the same wrestle with my conscience, as he definitely did struggle at first. But, a year on, he gets on so much better -he had adapted well and we think he has learned to use his remaining vision to his advantage.

He will never read the newspapers again, though ; )

Dollylucy Mon 29-Apr-13 12:18:18

He's ok, definitely a bit quieter, he has been for a couple of weeks
I think that is him getting used to not being able to see properly
I don't think he's completely blind yet

Going to the vet on Thursday for op, to see if there is any stimulus response, and then we'll take it from there

I'm sorry about your dog SunnyL, you must be very sad

SunnyL Mon 29-Apr-13 12:20:30

Thanks Dolly. She was 15 1/2 though when she went so really a grand old age for a pooch. It wasn't a surprise therefore to say goodbye but still sad. The house is very quiet now.

Floralnomad Mon 29-Apr-13 13:01:39

Good luck for Thursday ,it sounds like your poor dog has had a lot to contend with already . I would imagine at that age though he will adapt well and as long as he's not in pain it shouldn't be too much of a problem .

disorganisedmummy Mon 29-Apr-13 13:24:48

Hi all,I am a longterm lurker here but I felt after reader the Op's message that I must reply.We have a beautiful 7 year old Springer Spaniel called Millie.When she was 2 she was diagnosed with PRA (Progressive retinol atrophy) and was told that she would be completely blind by Christmas (it was May).We were devastated however we were assured that she could live a very happy and long life as as other have said dogs cope far better with blindness than we do.
Fast forward 5 years and Millie does have days where she seems a bit down but generally she is very happy.She loves tug of war so I play that with her a couple of times a day.There are things that upset her,traffic noise,horses and crowds.We're very lucky as my parents live on a farm so I walk her twice a day round the fields on an extending lead and she's fine with that.We moved house 6 weeks ago and we were very worried about how she'd cope but she has amazed us and has settled in very quickly.
Please let us know how it goes this week and what the diagnoses is.I hope you've found this useful.Feel free to ask me anything

What a lovely post disorganisedmummy. I have a Springer and although there is nothing wrong with his sight, I know full well that his nose is his most important asset. He rarely really looks at anything, it is all smell.

disorganisedmummy Mon 29-Apr-13 15:16:51

Thanks Exit.I adore Springers.I grew up with them and knew that I wanted one as soon as I gave up work to have kids.They are such beautiful looking dogs aren't they nd have such lovely natures.Millie is very placid and calm for a Springer,possibly because of her blindness.SHe is incredibly stoic-she's recovering from pancreatitis at the mo but she just gets on with it.Love em!!

canyou Mon 29-Apr-13 15:24:07

My Nana's show poodle went blind, he lived for another 6 years, he managed fine 99% of the time and if he met an obstacle or got disorientated he would bark and the cat would come and lead him to his bed, the cat would purr and walk in front with her tail brushing the dogs nose, Dog had full access to the house and garden, but he was rarely walked out of the estate as it stressed him. Hearing and scent are as if not more important then sight.

disorganisedmummy Mon 29-Apr-13 15:27:31

canyou that has made me well up! Animals are just so amazing aren't they.

Oh bless.

canyou Mon 29-Apr-13 17:47:37

We grew up with it so it seemed normal to us but yes animals are fab, Remo would head off down to the end of the garden [over an acre rest in the sun for an hr or so and bark at the cat who would leave the hse and go collect him lol.
Dolly your dog will be fine he will adapt and you can all enjoy him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now